The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Anyone had a blown head gasket under normal driving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone had a blown head gasket under normal driving?

A month ago the t'stat stuck and car overheated and dumped antifreeze from tank. I replaced the T'stat & belts and was driving home Tuesday and it started bucking and gage was hot but no warning lights if any, so I stopped the car and it was bubbling in the tank and blowing some out the overflow.. Had it towed and radiator shop said block was not holding pressure. Would a leaking head gasket cause it to overheat if still had coolant, or did a faulty t'stat (just replaced) cause it to overheat and blow the head gasket. It did start bucking just before I cut it off and would not accelerate. I hope the shop did not blow the head gasket when they test drove it to see what was wrong.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Yes it's possible, some people only overheated once!

Old 07-21-2017, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just wondering if something was wrong with the previous T'stat fix to cause the exhaust gasket to blow or could the gasket blow w/o the engine overheating with 92,000 miles but this car has been oil changes only, except for the bad window regulator, now that was a weird one.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by rmb2005g35
A month ago the t'stat stuck and car overheated and dumped antifreeze from tank. I replaced the T'stat & belts and was driving home Tuesday and it started bucking and gage was hot but no warning lights if any, so I stopped the car and it was bubbling in the tank and blowing some out the overflow.. Had it towed and radiator shop said block was not holding pressure. Would a leaking head gasket cause it to overheat if still had coolant, or did a faulty t'stat (just replaced) cause it to overheat and blow the head gasket. It did start bucking just before I cut it off and would not accelerate. I hope the shop did not blow the head gasket when they test drove it to see what was wrong.
Follow the troubleshooting analysis steps in the FSM

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu...5_G35_Sedan/co

See page CO-6

Telcoman

Old 07-21-2017, 06:23 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
There's only two reasons I've ever seen a blown head gasket:

1. Very high boost, like +20# without doing deck work to the block.
2. Overheating, and it usually warps the head enough on the first overheat to blow the gasket but sometimes it can take a while (weeks) for the gasket to finally fail.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.