The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Headliner opinion/advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:18 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Headliner opinion/advice

So it's been a bit since doing anything to the g and I've got the itch to do something. The plan is to cover the headliner and pillars in new fabric. Went to the junkyard over the weekend and got all the pieces for $35. After looking at the headliner I thought it would clean up the roof if I could fiberglass over the grab handle cutouts and eliminate the passenger handle and driver card holder. I never use em as is. I only have a little experience with laying fiberglass on boats. Do you think the resin will eat away at the headliner?
Also I'm stuck with which color/fabric to use. I feel like the suede going in all different directions would drive me nuts. I've heard that dark headliners make the car feel cramped so not sure what to do. Please share anything you've experienced or seen that you think would look good with the black interior. I'm ordering the fabric from yourautotrim as I've dealt with them before. Some pics:

Old 09-05-2017, 10:35 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
As long as you let the product offgas for a couple days it would be fine, styrene gas shouldn't damage the actual fiber but it might Hinder whatever adhesive you use for the headline fabric.

However, on bare (or painted) metal you want to use body filler not fiberglass, it's basically the same process (2 part resin/catalyst) but it has better adhesion to metal or painted surfaces. I would roughly sand the areas to be filled and don't go directly to a smooth painted surfaces.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:39 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ohh I think I misunderstood, you want to fill the holes in the actual headliner itself, in that case I would purchase a random headliner from any vehicle and trim out pieces that will fit the hole. Use high temp adhesive to secure it to the original headliner and then use hot glue and aluminum foil to fill any transitions. The foil won't stick to the glue when it dries and can be peeled off while still allowing you to "smooth it out" when you initially apply. Wear leather gloves, it's hot...

Old 09-11-2017, 08:10 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
I was thinking about doing something similar to the headliner and a/b/c pillar trim with a flock kit but I live in fear a messing up my interior past the point of no return, plus I'd have to paint all the accompanying trim pieces (i.e. bluetooth speaker, sunglass holder / light bezel, oh sh*t handles etc).

I can definitely see it feeling more cramped too, I had never thought about that. Just itching to find another relatively cheap project lol

Old 03-31-2018, 07:48 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
So I got a bunch of sample materials in the mail today to get some ideas on this. I found a similar color suede of the tan headliner but I really want to change the color up to something different. Problem is mainly the sun visors. I can deal with painting the dome light bezel and sunroof rubber trim but the visors look near impossible to wrap. My question is, are sun visors a legal matter? I don't use them ever as I keep a pair of sunglasses in the car. The plan was to already delete the grab handles... could I cover up the sun visor holes too? Someone's going to call me crazy...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.