The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G35 fuel economy

  #1  
Old 05-14-2019, 02:23 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat back
G35 fuel economy

So im getting like 12mpg in my 05 g35. Ive changed the sparks, the 02 sensors, and cleaned the mass air flow sensore. Ive been getting this mgp and sometimes worse even before i got a cat back. Ever since i got the car. What do I do
 
  #2  
Old 05-14-2019, 03:24 PM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
BANNED!!!
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 6,678
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Lighten the pressure you apply to the throttle.
 
The following users liked this post:
G2B35AGN (05-14-2019)
  #3  
Old 05-14-2019, 04:11 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat back
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Lighten the pressure you apply to the throttle.
Lmao i have been
 
  #4  
Old 05-14-2019, 06:15 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Indy
Posts: 34
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'06 AX6 G35 Coupe 6sp RevUp 19" Rays RAS, Solar Yellow '01 MR2 Spyder w 2ZZ/C60
X B, have there been any CELs? 12mpg is really low, and could indicate a problem(maybe serious). I'm 9 1/2 weeks into the ownership of my G, and it gets ~19-20 city, which is normal, and I rarely "get on it".

You should really get it checked out by a professional. Good luck.
 
  #5  
Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: LA, Cali
Posts: 1,270
Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Xavier Bienaime View Post
So im getting like 12mpg in my 05 g35. Ive changed the sparks, the 02 sensors, and cleaned the mass air flow sensore. Ive been getting this mgp and sometimes worse even before i got a cat back. Ever since i got the car. What do I do
How does it run? Hows the power? U do have your E-brake off, right?
 
  #6  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:34 AM
Blue Dream's Avatar
I drove ttrank's car solo
iTrader: (50)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: By the sea, Tx
Posts: 18,152
Received 1,422 Likes on 1,170 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Galo View Post
X B, have there been any CELs? 12mpg is really low, and could indicate a problem(maybe serious). I'm 9 1/2 weeks into the ownership of my G, and it gets ~19-20 city, which is normal, and I rarely "get on it".

You should really get it checked out by a professional. Good luck.
Based on 10 years of G ownership and also here on the forum 19-20 isn't "normal' for all city driving 15-18 would be considered normal, remember it was rated from the factory 17 city, 25 highway. If the car's driven with any amount of hard driving it's not out of the question to be getting 12-14. There are exceptions to this of course but they're not "normal."
 
  #7  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Indy
Posts: 34
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'06 AX6 G35 Coupe 6sp RevUp 19" Rays RAS, Solar Yellow '01 MR2 Spyder w 2ZZ/C60
Originally Posted by Blue Dream View Post
Based on 10 years of G ownership and also here on the forum 19-20 isn't "normal' for all city driving 15-18 would be considered normal, remember it was rated from the factory 17 city, 25 highway. If the car's driven with any amount of hard driving it's not out of the question to be getting 12-14. There are exceptions to this of course but they're not "normal."
Ahhh...I had misread the statements/rating concerning fuel mileage. 20 was the "combined" I had read. My tune-up work, plugs/a-f/engine oil&filter/trans-diff gear oil changes must be working!

Cool, thanks for sharing the experience knowledge...greatly appreciated!
 

Last edited by Galo; 05-18-2019 at 12:48 PM.
  #8  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:35 PM
Urbanengineer's Avatar
Super Moderator
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: OH-IO
Posts: 9,906
Received 794 Likes on 746 Posts
12 is extremely low. Are you running premium ATM?
 
  #9  
Old 05-18-2019, 01:23 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat back
Originally Posted by Galo View Post
X B, have there been any CELs? 12mpg is really low, and could indicate a problem(maybe serious). I'm 9 1/2 weeks into the ownership of my G, and it gets ~19-20 city, which is normal, and I rarely "get on it".

You should really get it checked out by a professional. Good luck.
Sorry for the late reply. Ive had a check engine like for a very long time. Even befor i put test pipes. Every time i go to get it checked out, it always says its the 02 sensors but ive changed them out a few times. Even the dealership went through extensive testing and only found the 02 sensors.
 
  #10  
Old 05-18-2019, 02:01 PM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
BANNED!!!
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 6,678
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
How exactly are you calculating mpg, are you using some kind of plug in tracker that might not be functioning correctly or are you using the trip odometer and dividing miles / gallons of fuel on the next fill up.
 
  #11  
Old 05-18-2019, 02:06 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat back
Originally Posted by Scorpi0 View Post
How does it run? Hows the power? U do have your E-brake off, right?
It runs good, power is there. And yes my ebrake is off lol
 
  #12  
Old 05-18-2019, 02:08 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat back
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
How exactly are you calculating mpg, are you using some kind of plug in tracker that might not be functioning correctly or are you using the trip odometer and dividing miles / gallons of fuel on the next fill up.
Yes i divde the miles i dribe by the gallons
 
  #13  
Old 05-18-2019, 02:15 PM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
BANNED!!!
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 6,678
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Get the vehicle up on jackstands and spin the wheels by hand with it in neutral to verify something isn't dragging.

Check your tire pressure (tpms might be malfunctioning).

Have the vehicle aligned (toe causes major friction and severely reduced mileage).

Pull and inspect the plugs, they tell you almost everything you need to know about the conditions in the combustion chamber.

Clean/replace your air filter, clean the MAF, inspect and clean the TB if necessary.

Inspect/clean the PCV valve.

OBD2 realtime scan the O2 sensors to verify they're cycling properly at idle and with throttle.

Remove/inspect the CATS with an inspection mirror or borescope for any melting on the media.

Smoke test exhaust system for leaks.

Run seafoam through the gas tank.

Perform an ECM and idle recalibration.
 
  #14  
Old 05-18-2019, 02:38 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 404
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Xavier Bienaime View Post
Yes i divde the miles i dribe by the gallons
Sorry if this seems obvious, but you FILL the tank up until it clicks off ?
 
  #15  
Old 05-18-2019, 02:42 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 404
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Galo View Post
Ahhh...I had misread the statements/rating concerning fuel mileage. 20 was the "combined" I had read.
My younger sister owned my G35X, new from the dealer, and the combined MPG was 19.something. I will bet that she never reset it in 10 years either. In the 12+ months I've owned it, I did reset it (multiple times) and it always falls back to 19.something with my driving too. I don't drive like a grandma but I also don't drive like a 17-year old. I do open it up often enough.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 fuel economy


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: