The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Money shifted FML!

Old 07-20-2019, 09:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Money shifted FML!

I’m new to driving manual and today I was going from 3rd to 4th but I accidentally put it in second and it made a high revving noise.I was going 35mph in 3rd going to 4th what damaged could I have caused? Once I realized my mistake I slapped it back to neutral and proceeded in 1st gear

Last edited by Ichiglo_; 07-20-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:43 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You're probably fine, even if it bounced the rev limiter, second gear goes to... almost 60mph so.

If it didn't bounce off the rev limit then you're DEFINITELY fine.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
You're probably fine, even if it bounced the rev limiter, second gear goes to... almost 60mph so.

If it didn't bounce off the rev limit then you're DEFINITELY fine.
Can you please explain rev limiter? Basically I was going 35mph in 3rd and I started accelerating to st least 3000rpm and shifted into second by mistake.The car made a high rev noise and the car buckled forward a bit and then I quickly slapped it into neutral and proceeded from a stop in 1st

Old 07-21-2019, 12:36 AM
I can confirm I was going at 3500rpm I have a bad habit of shifting early so I was going 35mph st 3500rpm when when I dumped it into second

edit:could’ve this count as a improper down shift?? I didn’t realized 3rd tops out at a high speed

Last edited by Ichiglo_; 07-21-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:47 AM
Edit:Sorry for being paranoid but I drove the car right now and it felt solid.I only went through 1-3rd gears only didn’t even attempt to do 4th but it felt normal.Makes me feel less worried when my coworker along with my family members all know the feeling of mis shifting but they still have their cars running

Old 07-21-2019, 11:35 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
How you liking the 6mt??

One time I was on the highway shifting near redline in third gear when I went into second instead of fourth....

If I hadn't reacted instantly and slammed the clutch before the revs jumped past redline, that would have been the end of my G ownership.... I ran on here and made a post very similar to yours too.

You can't money shift into second unless you're going faster than 65-ish. You're fine.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:36 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The rev-limiter is a spark/fuel cutoff that keeps the engine from over-revving due to the pedal. You can still over-rev the engine by downshifting but you can't exceed 6500 rpm (7000 on the rev-up) just by flooring the gas pedal.

Try it, you'll see, the rpm's hit redline and bounce there until you release the pedal. The engine is designed to use the ENTIRE rpm band and playing around at 6000+ isn't going to hurt the car unless it has components that are on the verge of failing anyways. However it does cause a lot more stress on all the engine components so it's usually best to save this kind of action for SPECIAL OCCASIONS!

Everyone who's driven a manual transmission has missed a gear at some point, usually you realize the second you dump the clutch and it feels like you just stomped on the brakes so you react and release the clutch quickly before any actual damage occurs.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
How you liking the 6mt??

One time I was on the highway shifting near redline in third gear when I went into second instead of fourth....

If I hadn't reacted instantly and slammed the clutch before the revs jumped past redline, that would have been the end of my G ownership.... I ran on here and made a post very similar to yours too.

You can't money shift into second unless you're going faster than 65-ish. You're fine.
Oh man I can’t even fully explain how much I like the 6mt.I feel like I’ve been missing out.I take the 6mt to work now about a 35 min drive and Ive never been so happy to drive to work.Actually that’s what caused this post haha I was on my way back to work on my lunch break when I got reckless and decided to bang gears on a empty curvy road.I was on 3rd and slapped into 2nd which surprised me because I’ve been putting the car in 4th with no problems then all of the sudden this happens.I quickly slapped the car into neutral and hit the brakes slowly not sure if that was a good thing.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
The rev-limiter is a spark/fuel cutoff that keeps the engine from over-revving due to the pedal. You can still over-rev the engine by downshifting but you can't exceed 6500 rpm (7000 on the rev-up) just by flooring the gas pedal.

Try it, you'll see, the rpm's hit redline and bounce there until you release the pedal. The engine is designed to use the ENTIRE rpm band and playing around at 6000+ isn't going to hurt the car unless it has components that are on the verge of failing anyways. However it does cause a lot more stress on all the engine components so it's usually best to save this kind of action for SPECIAL OCCASIONS!

Everyone who's driven a manual transmission has missed a gear at some point, usually you realize the second you dump the clutch and it feels like you just stomped on the brakes so you react and release the clutch quickly before any actual damage occurs.
Wow I actually didn’t know that I thought on modern cars came with feature I wasn’t aware they added that in a 2004 car.And I hope not I’m going to be driving it for a while now and if I notice something strange (crossing my fingers not) I will have to take the car for a compression test sadly.I already invested a good amount of this money on this car on performance parts and a new paint job that i literally got last week and last thing I want is to buy a new engine

Old 07-22-2019, 05:47 PM
Update:the car runs fine and idles fine thank fully only thing weird is that I had that moment when the car wouldn’t go into first at a dead stop (referring to my previous post on here) I had to play with the shifter for a second and eventually went into first.Another thing that felt weird is that 3rd gear is always really notchy.It feels like I dry shifted into 3rd but I had the clutch all the way in when I switched kinda weird

Old 07-22-2019, 07:38 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You recently did a transmission fluid change correct? If not then do one and see if it's still notchy like that, any fluid breakdown you will definitely feel on a tranny with worn synchros. Due to the constant gear mesh the transmission experiences SEVERE oil shearing. Next time you change fluid try using 75W-90 instead of the lower temp 75W-85. It's a little sluggish in winter until the oil heats up but it hangs on the synchros a little better and can help with some of that notchy feeling.

The only real FIX however is a rebuild/replace.

When I was having synchro wear on my old transmission I switched to Redline MT-90 which is 75W-90 and all the synchro binding practically disappeared and I didn't even feel it for the next year while I was waiting to throw in a new CD00A (the newest revision, CD009 is now "old" lol).

True story, my wife did the oil change because my arm was still screwed up from the ruptured distal bicep tendon, first and only time she's ever done maintenance on a vehicle and she hated every second of it.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 08:26 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
My awesome GF not only will work on our cars with me she likes it. She's helped me replace a starter on her Xterra, relocate the knock harness on the truck, replace the brakes on the GTO replace both cam sensors on the G among many other projects. She also loves to climb trees, do, yard work, camp out and play disc golf. Yep she's definitely a keeper, the icing on the cake is Monty Python's Quest For The Holy Grail is her all-time favorite movie as is mine.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_
I was on 3rd and slapped into 2nd which surprised me because I’ve been putting the car in 4th with no problems then all of the sudden this happens.
I've never driven an Infiniti with a manual but I suspect it feels like most Japanese manuals and this might not apply for "sporty" driving moments but I think you can adapt to it. What I'm getting at is don't grab or wrap your hand around the shift **** with force. Instead, use 2-3 fingertips only to shift. You should be able to do it with a light touch on the shifter (1st to 2nd might take 4 fingers). You can definitely do this when shifting 'away' from the dash (1-2, 3-4, 5-6) with a little more hand for 2-3 and 4-5.

Manual owners - can you do it like that with a Nissan manual ?

Old 07-24-2019, 08:40 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
I've never driven an Infiniti with a manual but I suspect it feels like most Japanese manuals and this might not apply for "sporty" driving moments but I think you can adapt to it. What I'm getting at is don't grab or wrap your hand around the shift **** with force. Instead, use 2-3 fingertips only to shift. You should be able to do it with a light touch on the shifter (1st to 2nd might take 4 fingers). You can definitely do this when shifting 'away' from the dash (1-2, 3-4, 5-6) with a little more hand for 2-3 and 4-5.

Manual owners - can you do it like that with a Nissan manual ?
Yep that's exactly how I shift under normal driving conditions. Racing conditions I typically use an open hand to push/pull, this transmission gates between gears very easily especially at higher speed/rpm when you're really pushing the car. It's even better with this B&M short shifter I have.

The only time I ever wrap my hand entirely around a shifter is with a sequential transmission because I push/pull them really hard and I usually have the **** wrapped in grip tape anyways.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:31 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Wasn’t sure firm the shifter was or how “tight” the gate was. And to be clear to the OP, doing it this way should help getting the right gears since you won’t be too “excited” with shifts.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Money shifted FML!