The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What do you hate about YOUR G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by BabySkyline1325
Yes the tires were bald sorry I left that out. You're right VDC is not a miracle worker but I expect it to function the way it does on other cars which is prevent the tires from spinning which is how the fish tail started to begin with. Yes I f*cked up and I'll admit I have a very hard time accepting it because of how well I drive. You gotta understand that this is technically my first car, my baby, etc. and it hurts me to see it hurt and that is why I am venting about it trying to ease the pain. Also I'm not in the greatest financial position right now considering I just got the car ~ down payment, first and last on insurance (insurance for me is not cheap) and now this. So calm yourself.
The only way to keep bald tires from spinning on wet roads would have been to lock the brakes, which the VDC is not programmed to do since the results would have been the same. The traction control systems and ABS on any vehicle are only as good as the tires.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by herrschaft
The only way to keep bald tires from spinning on wet roads would have been to lock the brakes, which the VDC is not programmed to do since the results would have been the same. The traction control systems and ABS on any vehicle are only as good as the tires.
Either I'm reading what you said wrong or I don't get what you mean by "The only way to keep bald tires from spinning on wet roads would have been to lock the brakes". To keep bald tires from spinning while accelerating from a stop could be done by cutting off the throttle and then slowly accelerating.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Ok, so I worded that weird. My point being is if the tires can't grip the surface, then the car won't be able to keep you from crashing.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes the tires were bald sorry I left that out. You're right VDC is not a miracle worker but I expect it to function the way it does on other cars which is prevent the tires from spinning which is how the fish tail started to begin with. Yes I f*cked up and I'll admit I have a very hard time accepting it because of how well I drive. You gotta understand that this is technically my first car, my baby, etc. and it hurts me to see it hurt and that is why I am venting about it trying to ease the pain. Also I'm not in the greatest financial position right now considering I just got the car ~ down payment, first and last on insurance (insurance for me is not cheap) and now this. So calm yourself.
While there are several factors at play here including the road condition, car condition, and user inexperience I believe the user is still mostly at fault here. Before you attempt to do any sort of performance or even regular driving you have to get a feel for how the car handles at its limits and emergency conditions. A G/350 is a pretty bad choice as a first car, and it's no wonder that you see so many of them with accidents on their record(just got mine a month ago but I searched for 2-3 months and 90% of the G's, especially the 6MT's I saw had paint work or accidents.

I'm only in my 20's but my first several cars were SUV's, then I had a Civic Si, Acura CL-S, C5 Vette convertible, Mini Cooper, and my last car was a first gen Miata(I used to flip cars as a hobby and to make some cash). Believe it or not the Miata with no ABS or traction control or any stability was the most fun and taught me the most about driving at the limits. I've had my G for about a month and have yet to feel comfortable taking it anywhere near the limits, especially on public roads. Anyways I'll end my essay and just say that the G is a lot of car for most people, especially if it is their first. Bad tires, poor roads, or bad VDC systems all add to the conditions, but they should be taken into account by the driver. I hope your car gets fixed and that you keep enjoying it.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
My car rattles a lot. Seat belt won't retract. Passenger window rolls down on it's own. Pop up Nav comes up and immediatley retracts. Can't rotate tires.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear seat wont fall down...!! hate it, hate it, hate it...

Old 04-24-2013, 03:59 AM
Originally Posted by valdaviper1
While there are several factors at play here including the road condition, car condition, and user inexperience I believe the user is still mostly at fault here. Before you attempt to do any sort of performance or even regular driving you have to get a feel for how the car handles at its limits and emergency conditions. A G/350 is a pretty bad choice as a first car, and it's no wonder that you see so many of them with accidents on their record(just got mine a month ago but I searched for 2-3 months and 90% of the G's, especially the 6MT's I saw had paint work or accidents.

I'm only in my 20's but my first several cars were SUV's, then I had a Civic Si, Acura CL-S, C5 Vette convertible, Mini Cooper, and my last car was a first gen Miata(I used to flip cars as a hobby and to make some cash). Believe it or not the Miata with no ABS or traction control or any stability was the most fun and taught me the most about driving at the limits. I've had my G for about a month and have yet to feel comfortable taking it anywhere near the limits, especially on public roads. Anyways I'll end my essay and just say that the G is a lot of car for most people, especially if it is their first. Bad tires, poor roads, or bad VDC systems all add to the conditions, but they should be taken into account by the driver. I hope your car gets fixed and that you keep enjoying it.
Yea you're right and I did try and get a feel for the car the same night as I mentioned in a previous post: "Anyway prior to the crash I decided to turn the traction control off and test and find the limits of the car and also see how well it drifts in the rain, it actually drifts and handles quite well. What I should have done was ALSO test and find the limits of of the car with the traction control ON.

So after only 5 minutes of playing around with it off I said alright that's enough and turned it back on for a calm drive home. Then I get a call from work saying that I'm supposed to be working tonight so I must have read the schedule wrong and I started rushing to work
."

You're also right when you say it is a bad first car because I can see why, in my opinion it is more of an advanced drivers car especially if you intend to use it the way it was built. This isn't actually my first car, I've had several other cars in the past all of which I've always pushed to their limits. I just said it's technically my first car because unlike my previous cars, I don't share this car with anyone else in my family, so it shows that bond and love I have for it because it is just mine and no one else's.

Believe it or not this is actually the first car I've owned that has VDC but not the first car I've driven that has VDC so I can make a proper judgement when I say the VDC on my G35 is not the greatest.

The ironic thing is a few days prior to the accident I was taking my buddy for a cruise and I mentioned that the tires were kind of bald especially in the back, and he said "wouldn't it be better to have the tires with the most tread on the drive wheels?", and I thought about it and replied "nah I'd rather have better stopping and turning traction rather than accelerating traction". That was poor judgement on my part lol.

I guess I'm just pissed off because I crashed it from normal driving, not while screwing around or anything that would make me say "okay, I was asking for that to happen."
I'm picking my car up on Friday and hopefully she comes back as flawless as I got her. Thanks for your input I will definitely continue to enjoy the car, she is a beaut!!

Last edited by G_DiRTY5; 04-24-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought the VDC on my G was quite good, it would keep the tail in check very nicely in the snow...of course I had blizzacks on it...

Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The ironic thing is a few days prior to the accident I was taking my buddy for a cruise and I mentioned that the tires were kind of bald especially in the back, and he said "wouldn't it be better to have the tires with the most tread on the drive wheels?", and I thought about it and replied "nah I'd rather have better stopping and turning traction rather than accelerating traction". That was poor judgement on my part lol.
I actually used to think that as well. It made sense to have more traction in the front for turning, however after checking to see what's recommended it said pretty much everywhere I looked that if you replace two tires, you put the best ones on the rear. This is to avoid fishtailing/drifting/overcorrecting. Easier to control understeer than oversteer I guess.

The following users liked this post:
G_DiRTY5 (04-25-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did a small, little photoshoot today. http://s1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag72/iamnaeem/04_24 Photoshoot

Old 04-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by valdaviper1
I actually used to think that as well. It made sense to have more traction in the front for turning, however after checking to see what's recommended it said pretty much everywhere I looked that if you replace two tires, you put the best ones on the rear. This is to avoid fishtailing/drifting/overcorrecting. Easier to control understeer than oversteer I guess.
For RWD cars yes, if it was FWD than you would put the good tires in the front.

The following users liked this post:
G_DiRTY5 (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust
I thought the VDC on my G was quite good, it would keep the tail in check very nicely in the snow...of course I had blizzacks on it...
Yea I'm coming to the conclusion that it's just my car with a slow VDC system. I'll do some tests the next time it rains, same goes for ABS I need to figure out why it didn't come on lol. Maybe I just need a grounding kit.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:28 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty87
Lol oooops you are correct.. I meant to quote (bignaco) who said " I hate putting gas in every 2 days". My apologies for the confusion
Too broke to fill up lol. Last time i filled up was late december. Full time student and work part time. and my commute is 65 miles a day.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Yea I'm coming to the conclusion that it's just my car with a slow VDC system. I'll do some tests the next time it rains, same goes for ABS I need to figure out why it didn't come on lol. Maybe I just need a grounding kit.
Maybe you need tires and seat time. A grounding kit is a joke to make the maker big $$$. I would pick up some 0 gauge wire and do the big 3 versus sending a penny to a dude cutting and crimping wires for supposed gains.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
the fact that a double din trim piece is 300+ otherwise stuck with possibly thee worst cheapest looking dash kit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you hate about YOUR G35?