The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Why does infiniti say to use conventional oil and Nissan uses synthetic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does infiniti say to use conventional oil and Nissan uses synthetic

Would never consider using conventional oil in another car that I own. Kind of like building a new car with a carberatuer. Wondering if Infiniti pushes conventional to get the car back to the stealership sooner. What do you guys think. My mechanic for my maxima convinced me to buy my g35 based on his love of his. He has been using Mobile 1 since he got his 03' g35 coupe. I am pushing 150k on my max with Mobile 1, and 250k on my civic.

Old 10-14-2005, 01:08 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Unhappy Regular Oil

The only thing I use regular oil in is my lawnmower. Now that I know better
I haven't used anything but Mobil l in my rides for the past 15 years.
When you have something nice like a G35 or a Z car you must treat it
good because if you don't she'll let you down. Our rides have feelings
too! Tell me your ride doesn't feel better after you have changed oil,
filter and cleaned your K&N filter charger. If you don't "feel it" you don't
belong here.....!

Old 10-14-2005, 01:39 AM
btw, its INFINITI

Old 10-14-2005, 08:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Dealer recommends Mobil 1 synthetic and he also advises that I buy my own oil and filter. They only charge $10 for the labor if you wait for the service, and to me that's a no-brainer since it's such a pain the butt to change the oil on a G.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by geenowalker
Would never consider using conventional oil in another car that I own. Kind of like building a new car with a carberatuer. Wondering if Infiniti pushes conventional to get the car back to the stealership sooner. What do you guys think. My mechanic for my maxima convinced me to buy my g35 based on his love of his. He has been using Mobile 1 since he got his 03' g35 coupe. I am pushing 150k on my max with Mobile 1, and 250k on my civic.
There is nothing wrong with using conventional oil. You just have to change it more frequently. Since your Civic and Maxima are already so high mileage, there is no point in putting Synthetic, I would just stick to regular and save some money.

Old 10-14-2005, 12:54 PM
► Matt ◄
Well I just brought mobil 1 EP w/ a K&N filter to my oil change and they didnt say anything. Just bring your own.

Old 10-14-2005, 01:01 PM
u can put anything into a civic and it will still go like when its new. thats what hondas are for.. they are great everyday car that never breaks down and u can use the cheapest everything on it, and it will still go great!

as for the Z/G, better use something good..

Old 10-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by bubbletea 4 me
u can put anything into a civic and it will still go like when its new. thats what hondas are for.. they are great everyday car that never breaks down and u can use the cheapest everything on it, and it will still go great!

and why is that? from what u said, it implies that we have delicate, picky or inferior engines than the hondas. is the principle of engine combustion different on the two? i use regular oil on my G and at 30K miles, never did I put extra oil in between changes. used mobil1 on previous cars and they were no different, except i could go longer in between oil changes.

Old 10-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Infiniti Oil Change

My question is why does my Infiniti Dealer charge me $34 to change the oil on my 04 G35c, and a different dealer that changed the oil in my cousin's '05 FX35, charged him $80 and the bill said synthetic? Our cars have same engines with 280hp. And both our manuals state the same requirements for oil, and no mention about synthetic. I think his dealer is BSing.

Old 10-14-2005, 02:32 PM
You guys referring to conventional oil...Would a synthetic blend type of oil be classified as conventional?

Old 10-14-2005, 03:28 PM
hmmm.. I thing I should start using better oil...

Old 10-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by bubbletea 4 me

Ummm. I have been seeing a lot of hondas with the tell tale blue exhaust smoke lately. I'm thinking their rings might have liked a diet of synthetic.
Nothing is indestructable.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:48 PM
We have been using synthetic in our vehicles since around '84 ish. All have gone very nice milages with out engine problems. I definately feel it's worth it.

Old 10-15-2005, 03:48 AM
um...my last line was more or less...sarcastic!

but anyhow, like some have said, it really DOESNT matter what oil u use. even one use a non-synthetic, the car will run just fine. of course, there are some advantages to synthetic, but nothin that will make ur car fly.

what i said bout hondas is just that, their engines (and basically overall cars) are so reliable, plus, to most, they are cheap everday commuter cars..so a normal oil is fine. G/Z to most of their owners is considered as something..expensive. and since you already spent 30+ near 40 on ur car, why not spend that few extra bucks using better oil?

just my 2 cent

Old 10-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Hi;

I have about 245K Mi on my 82 Supra. I have never ever used anything but regular old oil in it and cheap oil filters. It still runs great and does not consume oil. I hope my G35c can do as well!

On my G35c I used conventional oil for multiple oil changes when new. Use a Mobile 1 oil filter. About 6 months ago my Infiniti dealer said that they are now adding the "blended" oil, regular oil with some synthetic? I don't recall that they charged any more for the oil.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why does infiniti say to use conventional oil and Nissan uses synthetic