The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

MUST KNOW for OIL CHANGE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just put a rubber washer on it works just as well the rubber can be crushed to plug it and wont get deformed all the time

Old 10-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
I've not know a dealer to "laugh" at changing an oil drain plug gasket. It's such a small item, but such an important one too, as some here have found out (the hard way).

If my dealer were to laugh at that, he'd lose business big time including mine.
And you can bet Nissan/Infiniti wouldn't be laughing about it when I told them..

C.
At several Nissan and Infiniti parts counters, I have gotten blank stares or even chuckles when I asked for them. I wasnt there to do any other business than buy filters. I asked why one Infiniti dealer didnt have them and was told they dont replace them.

I'm not sure which ICA number you've been calling, but the dealer could drive my car off a cliff and ICA wouldnt get involved.

My local dealer is great now, I'm not sure if they replace them or not. They certainly would if I asked. The Nissan place would charge me extra for it, if I was brave enough to do changes there.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
FWIW...
Here's how to install the washer

Attached Thumbnails MUST KNOW for OIL CHANGE-oil-ring.jpg  
Old 10-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why would a dealership laugh about changing the gasket? it's on page 8-12 of our manuals. stuff it in their face if u have to.

Attached Thumbnails MUST KNOW for OIL CHANGE-pic.jpg  
Old 10-17-2005, 07:03 PM
I've used the fumoto drain valve and I have nothing but good things to say about it. No need to replace the crush washer, just slide the lever over and the oil comes out cleanly.

Old 10-17-2005, 07:06 PM
^^
same here.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those of you who've never seen it...

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Old 10-17-2005, 09:47 PM
LOL, I guess my local Nissan dealer is nicer than most. The parts guy was ready to give me a whole package of crush washers for free but I told him I only needed a few and would return to their dealer for my oil changes (just cause they were so nice) I get better service there then my Infiniti dealer.. go figure.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Autozone carries copper washers in the oil change section, along with some nylon and other varied material washers.

Has anyone used or tried the copper ones from Autozone? Am I going to give myself a headache trying them? My copper washer is absolutely flat and squished...I'm wondering if it is still safe to use?

Old 03-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Nevermind, I went and picked up a few at the local Nissan dealership.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:22 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyphr
I've used the fumoto drain valve and I have nothing but good things to say about it. No need to replace the crush washer, just slide the lever over and the oil comes out cleanly.
You guys using the fumoto,

you still have to move the plastic cover under the car right?

Old 03-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by mc2
You guys using the fumoto,

you still have to move the plastic cover under the car right?
If you want to change the oil filter you do. Although I've read that some people just bend the corner of the cover back to reach the filter. It sound messy to me.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:26 PM
We change that drain plug gasket with every oil change at our dealership. I would never run the copper gasket more than once, if you crush it...it's used get another one.

Part Number 11026-01M02

MSRP .74

Save yourself the trouble, just change it.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
This is "very" strange!!! I'm on my 5th oil change
and although I have 1/2 dozen of those washers I
haven't changed it once. Not only that but my G
hasn't ever dripped a drop......this is strange!!

Old 03-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Jiffy Lube Woodinville WA problem

This addresses two questions posted in this thread.

My first 5 oil changes, I did in my garage and reused the original washer. No leaks, even with spirited driving.

My 6th oil change, I got lazy. So I brought my oil and filter in to a jiffy lube in Woodinville, WA. Had them change it for me while I watched. The next four days I had a small amount of oil on my garage floor (each day). But it was black and looked like old runoff from a messy oil change. 5th day I finally jacked it up and found that I could spin the oil pan drain bolt with my fingers. Needless to say I was ticked, not only at the geniuses at Jiffy Lub but at myself for slacking and bringing it there in the first place. I took it back there and told them to fit a vacuum (with a piece of cloth on the end) onto the oil inlet in the motor and pull the drain plug, double check that the washer is still on, and torque it down properly. (Vacuum was to keep the $6/qt Royal Purple from draining out.) So then this ret@rded redne ck manager tells me they did me a favor and replaced the drain plug bolt with a completely new one with a BETTER felt washer. I asked him if that's really going to work due to the nature of the VQ35. He re-stated that it's better. He then says that the dipsticks on these motors don't give accurate measurements. Then, after he buttons everything up, he checks the dipstick and shows it to me while explaining that the engine never lost any oil and that there was really no problem to begin with. I asked him, "Didn't you just tell me the dipstick is inaccurate?" He didn't even answer. I told him to give me my old bolt and washer back in case he was as slow as he looked.

I take it home. It's fine for a few weeks. Then sure enough, the felt washer soaks up with oil and now there are small drips on my garage floor. Nothing too severe so I've left it until the next 3k where I'll do a simple oil change where it won't leak.

DO NOT GO TO JIFFY LUBE IN WOODINVILLE, WA. Anyway, the rest of the kids working there were pretty cool. Just the one kid that couldn't remember to torque a bolt and the manager who I'm sure is knowledgeable about 80's mustangs and camaros but clueless when it comes to anything else. "The files are IN the computer?"

Grrr

Last edited by whyjay91; 03-20-2006 at 04:39 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MUST KNOW for OIL CHANGE