The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Hardcore lowball on trade in value at subaru

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Highlife
Sorry, but you missed one! The C6 would have some serious issues with the 911 GT2. For real!!!
oops.. you are totally right. I meant "CHEAPEST" not only.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:10 PM
I took advantage of this little fact.
I work for an Acura dealership (svc advisor) I was driving an 03 WRX (modded of course 272 hp at the wheels) and found out our dealership traded a TL for an 04 G35 coupe 6mt. They only gave the previous owner $27,000 for it. As an employee I can get cars for myself for $500 over what the dealership has in it so I got my coupe with 14,000 miles for $27,500.

Oh and the STi is one awsome beast of a car.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:37 AM
They will only give you wholesale for your car. The only place that gives you a bit more is Carmax. Selling your car privately is the only way to get a good price on your car.

Dealers make money on both ends. They would not be in business if they didn't.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:59 AM
They will only give you wholesale for your car.
That would be the best case scenario...typically dealers pay less than wholesale on trade-ins. Then they sell the car off at Auction for true wholesale and still make money....

Like Benj said, they make money on both ends, sometimes significantly more on the trade-in.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Raznips
I went to subaru today to try and talk to someone about test driving an STI (i was by the dealership and just stopped in).... i was sort of just wanting to drive the car so i acted interested in trading in the G35. I parked right up front and instantly someone walked out to greet me and my nicely washed G35 and ask the question before i even got a chance to tell them "are you interesting in trading that in?" After looking at the car i was told that they do not have demo's of the car and would only allow me to test drive an sti and had to keep the rev's under 4k rpm... i really wasnt interested in driving it around like it was a normal sedan or something so i passed... i then asked him to give me an estimate on how much the difference in payments would be or whatever (basically what id get on my trade)... he gets the used car manager up there and for a 2004.5, 6mt, BEAUTIFUL g coupe with spoiler and prem package with only 14.5k miles.....

$23,000 for a trade in. I smiled and said nevermind and walked out rudely. I was kind of insulted and although i thought id hear a lower number than what id really try and get for it if i was going to trade it in (KBB and edmunds said 29k and $29.1k respectively).... but damn 6 grand less than what i was thinking i could get for it? Is this normal or just because im a young kid? Is it because im trading a car in that they could sell for about the same price as the STI? I think my car may be able to be sold by them for even MORE than the STI (he was thinking around $31k i believe) and edmunds says $33k for my car value at the dealer....

I guess the good news is, I really don't care what subaru is offering cause i would NEVER trade in my car for the subaru. I'm gonna mess with the guy a little when he calls though (i gave him my number cause he was adamant that i gave him info before going for a test drive). I'm going to tell him that ive decided to by an APS turbo system because it was going to cost about the same as my trade in to get the STI and be a lot faster, better looking, and my luxurious
Subaru uses Galves for their pricing, which is traditionally low. They price based on what they can get at auction which is where most used cars end up anyway. If you were to research one of their used cars, they price them on Galves as well so they wash.

Subaru is to small of a maker to stock their own used car lots.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They were lowballing you because they were probably going to make up the difference on the price of the STi..

I doubt they would give a rats *** on what you do with your car lol. You can tell them you're going to have your car in a **** flick and I doubt they'd care.

This is prob going to be my last seriously modded car. 1 show and 2 track cars has made a huge hole in the piggy bank lol. If you plan on moving around with cars, I'd suggest leasing.. My next step is leasing a new car.. Beat the crap out of it and return w00t. I don't think my heart can stick to a car longer than 1-2 years..

Last edited by Down_Shift; 01-02-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just traded in my 2004 6MT G coupe in this pass weekend for an M35 Sport. They gave me $26.5 and I had 27k miles. Beleive me...you should laugh really hard at the Subaru butt heads. My payoff was at 27k so I thought I did very well.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:37 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JReedG35C
I just traded in my 2004 6MT G coupe in this pass weekend for an M35 Sport. They gave me $26.5 and I had 27k miles. Beleive me...you should laugh really hard at the Subaru butt heads. My payoff was at 27k so I thought I did very well.
Grats on the M bro. It's a great ride..you'll love it.
C.