The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

MT gear when parked: "N" or "1st"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MT gear when parked: "N" or "1st"

When parked, I usually leave the gear shifter in Neutral and set the parking brake. But lately, twice, I've forgotten to set the parking brake and the car started to row backwards. I know that some would put the gear into 1st when parked. I noticed that whenever I have dealer service, the gear shift is usually parked in 1st. Based on my latest experiences, I'm thinking that I should be leaving the car in 1st when parked.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to leaving parked MT's in 1st gear? I heard one story about someone starting a manual trans. car and not realizing it was already in 1st gear and hitting a wall. But, I thought that can't be done now a days, because the clutch has to be depressed before you can start the car.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i use 1st on a incline, r on a decline.

always in gear when parked unless in my garage.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:21 PM
^^ what he said. but if you get remote start then dotn leave your car in any gear. then you are asking to get your car messed up. but ever since i got my new brakes put on it bites hard enough to wear im just leaving in N.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:34 PM
I always do same as kenchan ... 1st on incline and R on decline. Got in the habbit of doing that from the first day I had my MT.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:36 PM
leave it in gear...... so that people can't roll your car away at night and go joy pushing!!!!! btw, we did this with one of my friends sentra....... we pushed the car into a different neighborhood........ hilarious!

Old 10-30-2005, 12:44 PM
The Search Function is a wonderful thing:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/28323-6mt-parking-brake.html

Leave it in gear

Lou

Old 10-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i use 1st on a incline, r on a decline.
Actually, there is no difference. As long as it is in any gear, the rotation of the gear doesen't have to agree with the incline. As long as its in any gear, it wont budge. (Well, unless you are on a REALLY, REALLY steep hill)

My G isnt stick, so I just leave it in "P"

But my Vette, I always leave in gear. Usually just leave it in reverse because it looks cool, and put the e-brake up as well of course.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
leaving your car in R looks cool?

In what regards?

Old 10-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Yea, the car is heavy... but the e-brake is good for most parking situations that I see... the only time I leave my car in gear is when I'm on a steep incline or decline. I'm sure everyone with autostart understands why...

Old 10-30-2005, 03:44 PM

Old 10-31-2005, 10:04 AM
English dude, English
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Kenchan. 2 months after I owned my 6mt my wife took it to the local grocery store and didn't put it in gear and also forgot to apply the emergency brake. Needless to say she got a call over the loud speakers in the grocery store for the owner of a white infiniti g35 that had rolled across the parking lot and hit and old truck. Thankfully no damage was done to the truck (no extra bills ) but the rear bumper of the G was all dented up.

It's simple, put it in gear, if you can't do that get an automatic.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Typically 1st and Reverse provide the most drivetrain resistance (so I've heard).

Old 10-31-2005, 07:22 PM
Set the parking brake, take your foot off of the brake (so the brakes are holding the car), then place the car in first and release the clutch. You don't want the car's weight being held by the tranny.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Parking brake pulled up and always in 1st gear, regardless of where my cars are parked. This has been my practice for some 30 years. Old habits are hard to break.

Old 10-31-2005, 08:16 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by marfong
When parked, I usually leave the gear shifter in Neutral and set the parking brake. But lately, twice, I've forgotten to set the parking brake and the car started to row backwards. I know that some would put the gear into 1st when parked. I noticed that whenever I have dealer service, the gear shift is usually parked in 1st. Based on my latest experiences, I'm thinking that I should be leaving the car in 1st when parked.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to leaving parked MT's in 1st gear? I heard one story about someone starting a manual trans. car and not realizing it was already in 1st gear and hitting a wall. But, I thought that can't be done now a days, because the clutch has to be depressed before you can start the car.
It's prudent to leave the tranny in 1st and set the hand brake too.
When parking on a hill with a curb, and facing up the hill, angle the front wheels to the middle of the road, (so that if the car moves, the rear of the wheel will jamb onto the curb.
If parking on a hill facing down the hill, angle the front wheels into the curb.

If there is no curb to use, and the hill is very steep, wheel chocks may be needed to prevent unexpected movement.
Something to ponder.

C.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MT gear when parked: "N" or "1st"