The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Automotive Myth or Fact!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automotive Myth or Fact!?

i got a couple things my friends have told me over the years that could use some help clearing up...

#1 - It hurts/wears-down/damages your suspension when you park with your wheels/tires turned to the side (not straight with the car) - doesn't count when your on a hill!

#2 - When you drive with less than 1/4 tank of gas, your car is running on gas fumes and not gas liquid

#3 - Charging your cell phone in the car shortens the battery life (the cell phone battery)

#4 - Revving the car engine before you shut off the engine gives the engine one last breath of air before it's shut off - cleaning out the carbs/exhaust or whatever is involved from tiny particles

#5 - Riding the clutch (such as driving the car very slowly, with the clutch depressed partially) will wear down the clutch. (even if it does wear it down, would it wear it down significantly enough for me to start changing my driving habits)?

Old 11-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by alongcamepeter
#4 - Revving the car engine before you shut off the engine gives the engine one last breath of air before it's shut off - cleaning out the carbs/exhaust or whatever is involved from tiny particles
I've heard this is to get gas circulated better to make starting the car easier... I don't really know...

Old 11-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^

I could be wrong, but I think this was for car's before they had fuel injection. I believe the idea was to get some gas in the engine before you shut down, so you have a smooth start up the next time. I am not sure tho, could be wrong.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:02 PM
those are some really good/valid points, as a noob myself, i'd like to hear some input by some more experienced people.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:02 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i got a couple things my friends have told me over the years that could use some help clearing up...

#1 - It hurts/wears-down/damages your suspension when you park with your wheels/tires turned to the side (not straight with the car) - doesn't count when your on a hill!

#2 - When you drive with less than 1/4 tank of gas, your car is running on gas fumes and not gas liquid

#3 - Charging your cell phone in the car shortens the battery life (the cell phone battery)

#5 - Riding the clutch (such as driving the car very slowly, with the clutch depressed partially) will wear down the clutch. (even if it does wear it down, would it wear it down significantly enough for me to start changing my driving habits)?
You left out # 6- there really is an Easter Bunny.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Absolutely not.
Absolutely not. Fuel injectors will not work on "fumes".
True. Car chargers do not have power conditioning capabilities of wall chargers and your car's electrical system varies up to over 14 volts, so the battery life could be shortened. Just use the car charger only when you need to. Or, buy a replacement battery sooner.
Absolutely not, even for carbureted engines. All this does is inject a bit more unburned fuel into the system (because the rich mixture will not burn as efficiently). This will actually create more water and acid in your engine that will degrade your oil faster and attack the walls of your cylinders. Don't do it!
True if the clutch is slipping. It's true that you can technically "ride" the clutch and still not cause slipping (when under low load and revs match speed), but it's still not advisable. Just look at the clutch like a brake that is normally pressed hard. When you press the clutch pedal it's like letting off the brake which allows the wheel to turn (or the clutch to disengage the engine from the transmission). A hard start with the clutch causes similar wear to the wear on the brakes caused by a hard stop from a high speed.

Curt

Old 11-18-2005, 02:02 AM
#5 - so either all the way depressed or all the way released and i'm good? great!

thanks!

Old 11-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Aaaaah, the power of the internet.
It's also good for searches....

Old 11-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
#3: Anything that uses power up in a car will shorten the life of the battery. I know in my G it won't let anything plugged into the cig lighter work if the car is off. The amps/volts taken away from the battery/alternator is so insignificant it would probly take quite a while... I don't think anyones battery has ever died from leaving their cell plugged into the lighter over night.
Not sure if the '05 is still this way, but on my '04, none of the power outlets, including the lighter had power to them when the car was off.

Old 11-18-2005, 02:51 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

#1. only if the weight of the car is leaning on the tire which is touching the curb, otherwise not true.

#2. lol, much as we'd love it, cars won't run on fumes.

#3. far as I know, charging the cell battery from the car will be the same as charging from home.

#4. Revving the engine b4 shutting it down leaves an abnormal amount of fuel in the cylinders, thus washing the oil off the walls. Not good. Let it idle as low as possible b4 stopping.

#5. Riding the clutch any time is bad and will cause premature wear.

C.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:05 PM
#3. I know I read this somewhere like a manual for one of my old phones. I think the problem is when you start the car with the phone plugged in. The starter draws amperage from everything it is wired to...this means the starter is indirectly wired to the phone and will pull current from it while starting the car. That will kill the battery in the phone.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
Hydraulic clutches have a switch on the pedal assembly that activates the gradual disangagement of the clutch. Not until the clutch pedal has been depressed enough that the switch has been activated will the clutch at all begin to disengage itself.

Sit there in your car with the engine off. Depress the clutch a few times. Chances are you will be able to hear the light click-click as you press/release the clutch pedal. There should be plenty of dead-space at the top of the pedal before you are at all close to activating that switch.

So in theory, resting your foot lightly on the clutch pedal will not slightly disengage the clutch causing premature wear. But who the heck rests their foot on the clutch pedal anyway?

Old 11-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cars WILL run on fumes for a short while.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by GonSpeed
Cars WILL run on fumes for a short while.
I hope you are joking...cars with fuel injection will not run on fumes. I believe running on fumes is a figure of speech that is meant to be an obvious exageration to illustrate how little gas was left when you sputtered into the gas station.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automotive Myth or Fact!?