G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

I thought this day would never come

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 12:37 AM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought this day would never come

In my stable now is a 97 Mazda Miata and of course the G35. The G is my daily driver, the Miata is my girlfriends. We've been talking for some time about getting a new car. The S2000 has been in consideration for awhile now.. but we also realize we need something more practical..

I went to the Honda dealership today and test drove the 06 S2000. The car was incredible. It was fast as hell.

I'm tempted to trade up my 05 6MT coupe now..

A couple things about the G. I still love the G, the looks, handling, but i have been disappointed in some areas. Mostly I've been disappointed by the speed of the car. It is much slower than i had anticipated for a 300 HP car. Also, it was supposed to be a luxury car. I mean it has leather, power seats, etc but simple things like memory seats, a good sound system, a half decent "automatic" climate control system, a practical way to move the front seats forward and put them back without having to make two differnet motions.. these things are thing you kind of expect with luxury.. granted i knew memory seats didnt come with the car when i bought it i didnt realize how much i would be disappointed by the lack thereof.

My girlfriend saw the Element there also, she seems to really really like the car.. We have been doing a lot of outdoor stuff including skiing and snowboarding and an AWD vehicle would be a great help...

I could sell the G and with that money pick up a used s2k and an element for a little more than i could get for the G... and have sport and practicality all at once without taking out any loans.

The other option was to get a used S2k while taking out a small loan for it.. and then pick up a subaru wagon for cheap as a beater and a mountain vehicle for our outdoors things.. This way i would be able to keep the G... But then as i said i have been disappointed by some things about the G.

The G has treated me well in the year i have owned it...

but i got the bug.. the speed bug.

I'm sure i'll get the obligatory flaming from all the people who can't seem to handle other's opinions and get all defensive whenever anybody says something bad about the G... but i'd like to see what you other guys think.. those who can accept cars for what they are.

Last edited by mc2; 03-20-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I don't think you'd have to get so defensive on the flaming! My friend has an S2000 I love the way it is, sitting in the driver's seat really gives you a RACE feel w/ the "cockpit" and all... the G35 is more "ME" though

There are soooo many QUALITY aftermarket parts for the S2000 toooooo *DROOLS*

Old 03-20-2006, 02:25 AM
KLN
You can't go wrong with an S2000. I owned one for almost three years as a daily driver and everyday was a blast driving. The G35 does look nice and has more comfort features, but the S2000 is just so much more fun to drive. If it fits your lifestyle then I say get one and enjoy the VTEC with the top down!

Old 03-20-2006, 03:29 AM
how about just an STI? AWD and all the speed u want!

Old 03-20-2006, 03:44 AM
mc2
Originally Posted by haze
how about just an STI? AWD and all the speed u want!
Those cars have crossed my mind before but then when it comes down to it they dont FEEL like sports cars i guess. I know they sure are fast as hell, but for some reason they just don't do it for me.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The S2000 likely would have been my choice if I didn't need a backseat. I love the high revs! It would have been a hard choice (for me, if nobody else) between a Corvette or the S2000. The Z would have been a 3rd or 4th option.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:05 AM
If I weren't hauling kids the S2000 would be high on my list of cars. It is a full on drivers machine with the reliability of a Honda. I like the Element too but there is a new Toyota model coming out that is kind of a retro FJ40 look which I really like too. Same kind of utility as the Element with a better off-road rep. It will be out in 07.

FJ Cruiser

Old 03-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Honestly if you're desiring speed, a s2000 isn't going to do it either. A Supra TT BPU should keep you happy for a while...and I promise it'll kill any s2k out there.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^YEa, the S2k is definitely a nice handling little sports car, smooth transmission, nice road feel, etc...

But I didn't really find it too powerful, no torque at all, but it does rev high.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:39 PM
mc2
Originally Posted by s14roller
Honestly if you're desiring speed, a s2000 isn't going to do it either. A Supra TT BPU should keep you happy for a while...and I promise it'll kill any s2k out there.
The S2K felt qute a bit faster than my G though. I dont need stupid amounts of speed, but like i said before the truth is the G really has disappointed me in some regards. For 300 HP i really expected better than mid-high 14 second 1/4 mile times.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by mc2
The S2K felt qute a bit faster than my G though. I dont need stupid amounts of speed, but like i said before the truth is the G really has disappointed me in some regards. For 300 HP i really expected better than mid-high 14 second 1/4 mile times.
Not sure why the s2000 felt a lot faster...on paper it shouldnt be that way. Trust me on this one though...if you want something that's faster than the G and won't disappoint, you'll have to go toward something like a Supra TT or a E46 M3.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:32 PM
want a cheap awd beater with a little kick?
buy any stage2 wrx or sti. my 02wrx drops mid-high 13s easily and its now worth about 12K i think. sti should spit something in the 12s. maybe 13s ... in the rain or mud. but if you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it. i don't blame you, just throwing some info your way. good luck with whatever you decide. btw, subies have cheap(made) trannies and gears, i don't care what anybody says.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:31 AM
mc2
Well the problem i have is i need two cars which I can drive and my girlfriend can drive. I could probably do the WRX and learn to live with the tin-can feel, but i dont think my gf would ever be able to do one of those.

There's a 2003 s2k i've been looking at with less than 10K on the clock.. he's only asking 20K for it. I think for the short term i'm going to be picking that up with a small loan from the bank and keeping the G until i can figure out what i want to do...

Man i dont want to sell the G.. i would not mind having the S2k and the G as our two cars.. but i just dont think thats the most practical solution either.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:56 AM
If it's something practical you're looking for, just sell one of the cars and buy something like a older Accord. Between my girlfriend and I, we have 3 cars. G35c, Acura CL Type S, and a 91 Accord which we use as a highway commuter.

Old 03-21-2006, 06:46 PM
mc2
Originally Posted by s14roller
If it's something practical you're looking for, just sell one of the cars and buy something like a older Accord. Between my girlfriend and I, we have 3 cars. G35c, Acura CL Type S, and a 91 Accord which we use as a highway commuter.
Selling one of the cars is tough too. .

I wont need any utility vehicle until next winter season so i have until then to figure it out. I think i may just pick up an old subie wagon!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I thought this day would never come