The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Which one? G35 coupe or audi A4 1.8T

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrod31
I just want to know whats your guys opinion. between a G35 coupe and A4 1.8Turbo Quattro?
You know when you post a question like that, our opinion will be bias since you are posting it in G35 Forum. I bet if you post the same question in A4 Forum (if there's any), then they will say get the A4. But there is no way I will get A4 over a G35 Coupe.

Old 03-31-2006, 03:01 PM
you are not comparing apple to apple.
the competition for the A4 1.8T quattro is the G35X sedan.

And there is a lot of more punch on a stock G.
The A4 is expensive and you need to spend more if you want some punch

Old 04-01-2006, 12:37 AM
If you go Audi...nothing less than an S4

Old 04-02-2006, 06:06 PM
G35 coupe all the way.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:19 PM
My thoughts exactly-

Originally Posted by G XXXV
If you go Audi...nothing less than an S4
This was my dilemma when I was trying to choose. At the time, I couldn't find one in the sub 35k range with low miles. Like others have mentioned, the comparison isn't really for the same type of cars. An important distinction would be if you're going to get a manual or auto as well. As far as reliability issues, the G35 is going to be way better, and has way more grunt out of the box...I guess it comes down to your application, but the G35x seems more like a comparable model...

Old 04-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
make sure you have warranty. if you dont...you may be in some trouble

Old 04-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by ATL_Red_G35
I'd compare the A4 with the Lexus IS250 if you're asking. We chose the IS250 and we glad that we did. the IS250 handled great, quick, and has a nice body style.

But if it's between the A4 and G35C, of course the G will be chosen. If you plan to drop some $$ into the A4, why don't u use it for the G and make it even more better?

From personal experience, we had a tough time choosing between the 330Ci and the G35C, I choose the G35C. And between the A4 and IS250, we choosed the IS250. And we're VERY VERY happy with our decision. The G35C is great for stock performance and handling. It also has the exotic look and sound to it. The IS250 is very sleek looking and sporty handling. Both have awsome interior. Though I love the IS250 Interior and misc features a lot more. We test out all 4 models, lots of time and came up with the conlusion.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the purchase.
ATL_Red_G35 - what were your impressions of the 330ci? faster or slower than the G35, and did you test the auto or manual versions. My stepbrother is always saying the G35 is overatted in terms of horsepower and I'd like to know why you chose the G. I of course wouldn't get any BMW unless it was an M3 and I know those have reliability issues as well-

Old 04-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a former owner of a B5 A4 1.8tmq (turbo, manual, quattro). It was chipped, had an intake, bailey's dv, neuspeed sways, upgraded brakes etc. The interior on the audi is Far better than the G. Handeling is very stable and predictable. Dollar for Dollar, increasing horse power is less expensive. However, maintenance became an issue after 80k miles. Just lookup ICM/coilpacks/sludge at www.audiworld.com.

With the mods I was able to get 29MPG in the A4. I only get 23-24MPG in the G. Obviously, the torque is alot better in the G.

Also, the A4 stock turbo is small. low hanging fruits are a chip, K&N, exhaust. After than you have to go with an upgraded turbo (stage III). For my 70 mile daily commute from Valencia to Pasadena CA, I enjoy the G.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:41 PM
I was the owner of a 2002 A4 1.8T Audi up until about a month ago when I got my 2005 g35 Sedan and here are my thoughts:

- The A4 interior is better than the g35 in looks and feel but not as roomy.
- The ride was stiffer in my A4 but that's probably because I had the sport suspension. The g35 sedan isn't as tight around the corners and tends to roll which I hope will change if I decide to add better suspension.
- G35 definitely has more power but the A4 felt more responsive.
- More power means it's not as fuel efficient as the A4.
- BIG ISSUE which made me go for the G35. RELIABILITY. I bought my A4 new so the warranty was nice for those 4 years especially because they took care of everything down to the brakes and the windshield washer fluid. I had numerous problems before and after my warranty expired including:
- Coil's had to be replaced
- Oil sludge buildup so some hoses and clamps had to be replace
- auto leveling xenon lights would cut out when taking corners fast (nothing like your car winking at cops when you're driving fast)
- and the rack and pinion had to be replaced ($1200)

There were many other smaller problems that added up and led me to get rid of the car. I wanted a car I liked that would last me for a while. So I bought the G35 and I haven't regretted it since. I love my new g35.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:02 PM
i test drove the 330i, is350, a4, g35 coupe, g35 sedan, and the acura tl

i believe they are all in the same class, except for the tl.

330i
- handles well
- sparse interior
- slow acceleration; lags a bit coming off 1st

is350
- steering was loose
- very luxury interior
- smooth driving

a4
- 1st gear is torqued really high
- steering was tight
- interior felt cheap; buttons installed felt like they were gonna fall off

g35 sedan
- average acceleration
- average interior
- average overall

g35 coupe
- 1st gear is torqued pretty high, less than a4
- sparse interior
- handles decently
- horrible turning radius

acura tl
- good price to feature
- front wheel drive - slips if pushed
- handles above average

i would have to say my top3 would be the is350, g35coupe and the tl. the is350 was too expensive to lease, being that its in high demand. the tl was front wheel drive and i just couldnt live with that, but other than that the price and feature set really made it a great deal. i ended up with the g35 coupe, which despite its interior performs quite well.

the a4 in my opinion, or the dealership that i went to provided subpar service, the navigation unit had problems 'updating software' when the salesman inserted a nav dvd, the buttons were cryptive and felt like i could rip them off, other than the interior and cust serv, the car itself drove pretty well. it accelerated well and agressively off the line, and steering was very tight and solid.

if your gonna lease, i would reconsider the a4, providing that they have better service. ultimately where you get the car will determine overall enjoyability of the car, from my experience, the service reflects the quality of the car.

good luck.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Same question before I got my G, but the last decision is...ya, everyone know...a G !!! That's why I am here...
Audi is good, but G is better...price, and the quality you will get...

Kcc