The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

6MT "Clunk"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2006 | 07:46 PM
I get that too.. but sounds like its coming from the rear end???

Old 04-21-2006 | 08:02 PM
I get it when its cold. In fact I associate that sound with the same interesection near my house because it only happens in the first few blocks of driving. I wouldn't worry about it too much. 06, 10K miles, VDC always off (except when its wet)

Old 04-21-2006 | 08:58 PM
I get that clunk too!

Old 04-22-2006 | 05:25 AM
|
well, i guess i can say that i feel a little better that it's not only me with the sound. however i don't feel that this is a normal thing because in all sense, it just doesn't appear to be how a shift should be.

anyhow, i contacted my infiniti dealership and the service manager never heard such a problem and he was going to contact infiniti technical services to confirm.

thanks everyone for the feedback.

Old 04-23-2006 | 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by sky350GT
mine is 99% ON all the time, except at the track of course

usually if its on and your shifting hard your going to here a clunk cause the traction control kicks in and hits the brakes and **** and its usually the rear that makes the noise shut it off and do it caues then you will churp the tires and the clunk most likely wont be there

Old 04-23-2006 | 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by d4vid
I get that too.. but sounds like its coming from the rear end???

just try it with traction control off its most likely that and it does come from the rear...

Old 04-23-2006 | 06:48 PM
Arrow

2003 6MT

The first time I heard it, I was pulling out of my subdivision from a complete stop and turned onto the road just before me, and after getting
the car straight and I nailed it and then when I shifted to second I heard this He*lla loud "CLUNK!!!!".

I immediately thought to myself "Oh crap!, I left something in the trunk that wasn't in the net and it just slammed into the back of the car when I took off."

I pulled over and checked the trunk and there was NOTHING in it!!!

So, I've noticed this too.

What is it?

My VDC was on BTW. Is it the VDC *kicking* in when the rears loose traction??

Old 04-23-2006 | 06:52 PM
i get the clunk too and ive been told its from the axel...i also have another problem, do you guys get a chatter from the clutch?? but when you depress it goes away??

04 coupe

Old 04-23-2006 | 08:32 PM
I heard some complain about the clutch "chatter" before...Not sure what the outcome was though???......

Old 04-23-2006 | 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by WhiteonWheat
2003 6MT

The first time I heard it, I was pulling out of my subdivision from a complete stop and turned onto the road just before me, and after getting
the car straight and I nailed it and then when I shifted to second I heard this He*lla loud "CLUNK!!!!".

I immediately thought to myself "Oh crap!, I left something in the trunk that wasn't in the net and it just slammed into the back of the car when I took off."

I pulled over and checked the trunk and there was NOTHING in it!!!

So, I've noticed this too.

What is it?

My VDC was on BTW. Is it the VDC *kicking* in when the rears loose traction??
I thought one of the other threads said something about the VDC testing itself, which would explain why it happens a little bit after you turn the car on?

Old 04-24-2006 | 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by uhohitzmikeo
i have that same sound and i have my 06MT for 2 weeks with 350 miles on it. my guess is the rear wheel drive or sumin, i dunno. i had a civic before and it doesnt do that or any civics i have driven. its sumtimes harder to get it smooth on the G.
I have the same sound/problem. I heard that it's because of rear wheel drive. My friend's Supra has the same sound/problem too.

Old 04-24-2006 | 03:47 PM
6MT 04 21k mils on it, been clunking ever since I got it. As was said above, if you let the RPMs drop a lot more, like from 3k -> 2k then I don't get it, also more noticable when cold. Has anybody tried any new transmission fluid?

Old 04-24-2006 | 06:34 PM
i dont know if its so much a clunk, but i get a tick-tick ... i think i hear it more when the cars been driven...

Old 04-24-2006 | 07:22 PM
sorry, drove 26K miles w/o said clunk noise. And i do like to push the car 1->2nd gear, since by 3rd I'm risking a speeding ticket in most situations. I did have rattles and pinging like sound from the clutch area that the dealer took 1.5 months in the dealer service to fix... for about a week, then it came back but not as loud.

I notice, there are a lot of "interpretations" as to what is "normal" and not normal for the G's. Just because it is "normal", doesn't mean that it is not something that should be corrected. I take the car into the dealer when i think something is not right, in terms of my expectations of what a car should and shouldn't do.

I would take it in and at the least, have it documented by the dealer service department that you have these things going on. They are on a centralized computer system, so infiniti corp. has access as well as the network of dealers. Cover your A$$, cuz they (dealer/manufacturer) won't unless is means saving or making $$$ for them.

Last edited by WYSIWYG; 04-24-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2006 | 07:37 PM
TLS
Someone should try Redline MT-90(GL-4) trans fluid. I used to have the 1-2nd clunk on my SR20det S14 and that solved the problem.

edit: I own an AT so I cant.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6MT "Clunk"