The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Question about oil filter and flow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about oil filter and flow

So I've been running royal purple and wix oil filters for a few oil changes. I've finally come to the realization that when I have this combination in the G, the next oil change shows that the G ate about 2 qts or sometimes more (we're talking at around 3k-3.5k miles).

When I have the dealer do it, it seems fine. Has anyone had a problem with wix filters or even royal purple? I doubt it's the royal. Maybe the wix isn't flowing fast enough for the motor (and my sometimes spirited driving)?

I was thinking of trying the new K&N high flow oil filters. Or even running the OEM filter with royal p to see what happens.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:34 PM
I have noticed this sometimes too. I use mobil one synthetic and purolater (or something like that) oil filters. 2 quarts seems to be the maximum. I had the dealer do an oil consumption test and they said it was ok. I don't know. I have a hard time believing that my almost new motor is burning that much oil.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I use M1 oil and filters. I have 3700 on the last oil change. I just checked the oil and I have ZERO consumption! It is right at the "full" mark.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks guys, for the responses. I'm going to just try a higher flow oil filter next time. I think the flow is somehow being restricted causing the oil to get too hot in certain areas of the motor.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:17 PM
TLS
Im thinking that the oil might be the cause. Royal oil seems to bond on engine parts more. Oil bonds on cylinder wall , oil ring can't squeeze off enough and combustion burns off oil. thats my theory.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by TLS
Im thinking that the oil might be the cause. Royal oil seems to bond on engine parts more. Oil bonds on cylinder wall , oil ring can't squeeze off enough and combustion burns off oil. thats my theory.
Interesting. I may switch to M1 then, and give that a shot.

Thanks TLS,
whyjay

Old 05-18-2006, 03:19 PM
I use M1 and a purolator PL14610 filter and have ZERO consumption. 5qt in 5qt comes back out.

Old 05-18-2006, 03:21 PM
I don't car what anyone says, if you burn 2 qts. of oil between changes something is wrong with your engine. No oil filter will cause that. If your filter element won't flow enough oil then the bypass valve opens to protect your engine.

Take it to the dealer and document the oil consumption. If you don't fix it you will regret it.

Old 05-18-2006, 03:27 PM
I use Mobil 1 and OEM filters no problems here

Old 05-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Two quarts on 3500......?

I use Mobil 1 and K&N filters and haven't used a drop
between changes. As previously posted Kragen tried
to charge me $18 for a K&N filter and I turned them
down. Did a search on K&N and found a company
that will sell them for $8 and change and if I buy 3
shipping is free.....can you say Kragen FO!! I'll be
switching to Royal Purple on my next oil change, hope I won't have a problem!

Old 05-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by wilson1
I don't car what anyone says, if you burn 2 qts. of oil between changes something is wrong with your engine. No oil filter will cause that. If your filter element won't flow enough oil then the bypass valve opens to protect your engine.

Take it to the dealer and document the oil consumption. If you don't fix it you will regret it.
It might be the royal P. I hope it's not because I love that oil. I can feel a difference in how freely the engine revs vs. oem oil changes.

Of course it's been in for engine oil consumption tests. When they use their oem stuff, no problems; 5qts in, 5qts out. I'm just trying to narrow it down to the filter or the oil.

Old 05-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm impressed with this car the way it comes out from factory, and I give Infiniti and their warranty enough credit to stick to OEM oil and filter, especially since I change them around every 3k miles. You guys enjoy the expensive stuff and hopefully it really makes the difference.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
I use Mobil 1 and K&N filters and haven't used a drop
between changes. As previously posted Kragen tried
to charge me $18 for a K&N filter and I turned them
down. Did a search on K&N and found a company
that will sell them for $8 and change and if I buy 3
shipping is free.....can you say Kragen FO!! I'll be
switching to Royal Purple on my next oil change, hope I won't have a problem!
I might be able to duplicate your search, but in the interests of the board could you reveal your K&N source?

Curt

Old 05-18-2006, 11:21 PM
I can tell you its not the filter, I actully run a NAPA store, and out filters are WIX, I have a customer who builds race cars, and he uses them, what I did find out is that the WIX is an exact match to the OEM filter, we even cut one open, the difference in in the spin flow tech that wix uses, but he also uses the purple, and said that is does burn off easy because of the lack of certain chems and stablizers found in most common oils. That is the problem, not the filter. unless your FI or seriously tuned you dont even need purple, go with M1 its the best out there as far as std off the shelf for normal conditions goes. Just my .02

Old 05-19-2006, 02:16 AM
I use royal purple with an oem filter and i have noticed that it does burn some oil .I don't know exactly how much but as the miles get up there the dip stick gets lower.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about oil filter and flow