Custom Sub Enclosure for Coupe... interested??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2004 | 08:22 PM
|
G SQUAD
Custom Sub Enclosure for Coupe... interested??

After looking to add some kick to my system and doing some research, I've decided to embarked on an adventure to build my own custom fiberglass enclosure for my 10" JL Sub because everything out there is $300+... and the JL Stealth Box that's in the works, well, seem to be continually in the works since May!!

I've put in about 20hours this past weekend doing the molding of the coupe trunk, layers of fiberglass/resin, pulling chunks of resin off my arm hair in the process, more layers, research, mo' layer, inhaling resin fumes even with my respirator, etc... lol

I've done all the hard part, and before proceeding further, I'm trying to gauge interest if any Squad members would like one built for them while I'm at it... I'm willing to help out other members build one if they'd like one done for them... [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] This is a ONE TIME thing that I'd be willing to do IF people express interest. I'm not looking to be a sweat shop worker building this endlessly... it's more while I'm at it, I can do it for others and help others out.

If there's no interest, then I'll have a kick *** enclosure and sub for myself, and all the better. I'm not sure how much it'll be because it really depends on the time it takes. I'm guessing people would be willing to pay ~$200-250...?? Heck, I would've if there's one out there for that much... lol
(btw, if any of you have ever worked with Fiberglass, you know the mess and work it takes to make one.)

I should have my box done by the next meet... so you guys can check it out in person. I've attached a picture of my project so far as of today... The molding is done, and I just need to add another layer or 2 of fiberglass (Total of 6 or 7 layers). It's plenty strong already, but I want to make sure it'll stand the test of time. For the sub attachment, I'm going to add 3/4" MDF wood to the front, and mold it more with Fiberglass... The outside will be carpet. (Thought about painting, but since I'll be taking it in and out... it's gonna get scratched up)

I'm stoked about it, and can't wait to get that Sh!at in my car!!! lol [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

If anyone's interest, please post here... if there isn't, then I'll save myself hours of time!! But I'm doing this solely to help out others that want to add a Sub since I'm already knee deep in it.

Please post comments here... [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

377163-Fiberglass Sub Enclosure.JPG

Old 10-31-2004 | 10:53 PM
G SQUAD
Re: Custom Sub Enclosure for Coupe... interested??

J,

Ya gotta test it first and see if the box is doing the sub justice...if it s all soundin right?.......

Old 10-31-2004 | 11:10 PM
|
G SQUAD

Hey... I'm an Engineer... You know I'm going to be fine tuning and measuring the crap out of it with an oscilliscope or something like that... lol [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'm making it tailored to my JL sub which needs 0.6-0.9cu ft of space. You can add PolyFill Fibers to artificially increase the volume space a bit, or I can just make it bigger depending on the box...

Assuming all is well, I just wanted to know if anyone would be interested and for how much is the breaking point. If I get replies like $100, I'll say screw it cause my time/effort is not worth that. lol

Just looking to help others who are interested or in the market for one and don't want to fork out the large amounts of $dough$. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'll have it at the next meet for people to see/hear. I'm going to create a mold of what I have, and if there are no takers, I'm just gonna chuck that crap out the window and enjoy my new box. [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2004 | 07:19 AM

Yo j the box looks great man. And if the resin in the arm hair is still an issue... nothing a razor cant fix

Before you start taking offers to build this box, I would really try and finish it first. The front is the hardest part and to make it paintable is 100x more work. If your gunna do carparet 1 coat of bondo is enought.

If you wanna paint it, its going to need to be crazy smooth.

Old 11-01-2004 | 07:56 AM
G SQUAD

jason i dont know the first thing about boxes and systesm but i would like to add more kick to the stock bose.......i'm interested

Bush/Cheney '04

Old 11-01-2004 | 09:51 AM
|
G SQUAD

Hey Xlac...

No, the resin isn't that bad... the FUMES get me pretty light headed when I take my respirator off tho'... [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm not going with the painting route, and carpet would probably sound acoustically better due to less reflection of the sound waves. So yes, CARPET!!

I'm going to tackle the front today, and I have 2 or 3 approaches on how to make it. I'm planning on using the 3/4" MDF board I bought from Home Depot and using it for the front. The question is whether I want an inner ring & outer ring combo for the sub install, or just make the sub sit flush with a single MDF wood. I think I'll make both and see what I like better... heck, I have 8 square feet of wood. =)

I'm going to make the "mold" of my box today (so no more masking tape, bending in weird positions to resin/fiberglass, and having my car smell like fumes still). With that mold, I got the HARDEST part of it done, and I can help others make a box for a much more COST effective price.

I'll definitely have it done by the next meet... hopefully... [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

(btw... it REALLY SUCKS to have a JL amp and sub just sitting in my living room mocking me... ) lol

Old 11-01-2004 | 11:52 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Staff Alumni

Jas

Time well spent this w/e. Did u hook up with Mista Alam aka glass pro =)

Thanks for your offers. Upon completion, a full diy with details I assume with lots of pics, suitable for framing. =)

Keep up the good werk !!

Old 11-01-2004 | 12:00 PM

$105 is the highest I'd go and I think that's fair )

2004.5 Black on Black 6MT, Aero, Premium, Navi

"It's a celebration bitches" - Rick James

Old 11-01-2004 | 03:26 PM
|
G SQUAD

Neil: Yes Mr. Glass (Wizawuza) is helping me out... This will be his 3rd box. Without his help, I'd probably still be on my first layer without a clue what to do. Oh, that 20 hours doesn't include the hours of research for this project, but it's coming along just dandy.

LOL... Evan... do me a favor...take that $105 and SHOVE it!! lol Better yet, save it for the strippers... give them the C-note and you'll have $5 for 5 songs on the tip rail. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You were there Sunday to see how nice they box is already... [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img] Be nice or when it comes time to doing your box for your 10,000watt subwoofer or whatever, ...you're on your own buddy!!

Old 11-01-2004 | 03:32 PM

How will this box be different from the custom ones already offered by 4080 and Drewer for about $299?

-------------------------------------------
Craig Ramseur
G35C/5AT/BlkOb/
PhxGold/Focal/AudioControlEQ/Basslink
Z-Tube&PopCharger

Old 11-01-2004 | 03:45 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

J sounds cool, but you know thats too much weight for my car hahaha =) Im thinking about stripping everything out for it to be faster hahah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
0-60 5.4 - 1/4 Mile 14.16 *GTech* and on 19's!!

Old 11-01-2004 | 05:10 PM
|
G SQUAD

Cram: Difference = NOT BEING $299!!

Seriously, if there were something or someone making it for ~$200, I would've forked out the C-Notes and save myself the time/effort/arm hairs... [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] It should pretty much be the same... and I guess the major difference is I'm not looking to do this FULL time. It's a ONE TIME thing that I thought others might be interested in. I have a job that I work 60-80hrs a week at already, so I'm not looking to kill more time.

The reason I'm posting is the "while I'm at it and have the mold, I can make it for people that want one." I'm just trying to save other Squad members money... that's all... Otherwise, I would've posted in the Audio/Video forum... [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If you want, buy from 4080 or have a custom one made for $400... doesn't really concern me. But if you want one, then I can make it while I'm at it. You have no idea the pain in the a$$ Fiberglass/Resin is... until you do it. My car still smells of the resin fumes from the mold.

Martin: The whole Fiberglass enclosure "so far" (~6 layers) weighs about 3lbs...and it can already support my weight on it. Wear less clothes, or throw out the trash in your car, and the weight difference could be gained back... [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] lol

Old 11-01-2004 | 06:26 PM

Jason if your doing the whole box in FG why do the front in MDF.... I say finish it in Fiberglass.

take the MDF you bought and make 2 rings, make an inner and then an outer ring. The Gasket on a JL sub is 3/4" thick so use 1/2 MDF and with the thickness of the fiberglass you will have a perfectly flush sub. Then get some 1/4 dowels and hot glue the sub rings where u want them.

After that wrap the front with a cotten T-Shirt and paint the cotton with resin. Once the resin is hard, add 6 layers of glass to it.

And thats that
good luck

Old 11-01-2004 | 06:29 PM
G SQUAD

Babiephat will this fit in the sedan also???

Old 11-01-2004 | 08:27 PM

I hope you didn't take my question as a critique or anything negative. That was NOT my intent. I was just wondering if there were any technical differences.

If it seemed like I was riding you, believe me, I wasn't. (I would do a much better job of it than that!) :-)

Good luck! But don't breathe in too many fumes :-)

I certainly would have like to save $50 on my custom box :-(.

-------------------------------------------
Craig Ramseur
G35C/5AT/BlkOb/
PhxGold/Focal/AudioControlEQ/Basslink
Z-Tube&PopCharger

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom Sub Enclosure for Coupe... interested??