Need advice fast!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice fast!

I'll cut to the chase. I was getting some work done tonight and my mechanic destroyed my wheel lock, the wheel lock key, and damaged my brand new wheel while trying to take the wheel off the car. He was using an impact gun on all the wheels and could not get this last lock off. I believe he screwed up some how (I have 2 keys- 1 for my Splinedrives and 1 for the locks). Not sure what he did wrong, but I put the lugnuts and wheel locks on myself using a torque wrench set to 82 ft/lbs. I'm always very careful with my wheels. He thinks I either overtightened the lock (not possible) or crossthreaded it (very unlikely). My problem is the damaged lock is still on my wheel and won't come off. I also currently have no wheel lock key to install the remaining lock on the other wheel. He tried everything he had in his garage to get it off and it wouldn't budge. He said his last resort would be to take a torch to the lock (and further damage the wheel) or bring it to a wheel/tire shop.

What do I do?! Where should I bring it?! Can anyone recommend a place in NYC/LI?

Old 08-24-2005, 09:18 AM
Best Infiniti Service in NY
Bang A Socket Over The Damaged Lug And Then You Will Be Able To Remove It

Old 08-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know how much room you have to work within the little space of the lug slot (is it an OEM wheel or aftermarket) but they do make special nut removal sockets. They come in various sizes to accomodate different sized nuts, and you can get them from Craftsman (Sears) or from Snap-On, Mac, OTC and so fourth.

The removal tool has reverse cut blades (angled) within the walls of the socket and what you do is simply place it over the nut and begin to wrench it off. The curved blades dig into the busted / damaged nut and remove it in that manor. They're easy to use and you would be surprised how well they work.

I would NOT try and torch it off as you'll end up doing more damage than anything else. The "bang a socket over it" method does work sometimes, but once again it depends on the condition of the nut and how badly it's screwed up. Last but not least, when all else fails, you may want to try and drill it out. It takes a lot of patience and a steady hand, but It can be done (I've done it). You may have to replace the lug once you're, but hey that's the price you pay.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I contacted McGard this morning and ordered a new key and lock. I also explained the situation to them regarding the stuck lock and they are sending me a tool/socket (loaner) to try and get it off.

Just my luck, I get home 20 min ago and there is a message from them stating that they can't process my order for some reason Closed now. Gotta call again tomorrow morning and find out whats up

If all else fails I'll try your suggestions. Thanks again.

Old 08-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i stripped a lug once beacsue i was using the wrong tool with an impact wrench. I tried all those stripped bolt kits from sears. nothing worked. i was afraid to bring it to a midas or mavis because i have aftermarket wheels.

i took it too a shop in huntington, they got it off without damaging the wheel. cost 90 bucks but thats what you pay for using the wrong tool.

goodluck with your lug. if you have any other problems pm me ill give you the name of a good shop about 30-40 mins from nyc area.