G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

honest answer seeked about G reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honest answer seeked about G reliability

allright i am coming from a 400+rwhp boosted IS that had Zero problems with 120K miles of very spirited driving on the odomoter .... now i have searched this site for a while now but can't seem to find much about the G's reliability ... this car just does not sound very reliable from what i read i love the styling and the exhaust note and the interior but i am just to worried that my style of driving will land this car in the shop all the time. so far i've heard of numerous transmission problems and clutch problems and really it just sounds like my old e36 BMW ....

can some1 just give the honest truth on the G's reliability thats not biased

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Old 05-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I have an '04 and I have had NO problems at all in my coupe. I have over 58K on mine and I drive sprited everyday.

Only thing I have had fixed is the drivers side window regulator...

Old 05-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The newer models are much much much better than the older ones for sure.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Certainly, reliability is a relative term to many. I expect (hope) to get to 120 with no "major" problems except maybe a replaced clutch. I cannot attest really as I only have 20,000 on my '05. While there were some "cosmetic" issues with earlier models (i.e. interior rattles), I have not seen too many complaints mechanically. There were a few problems with throttle body sensors and clicking rear axels but that has been addressed. The car does eat tires for sure. Won't get more than 20,000 out of a set and at $1600 for the cheapest on the 19" configuration, it is not cheap to maintain. In my world that works out to be $4 a day in rubber.

Basically, it looks to be going good so far (for the expensive items).

Old 05-21-2006, 10:52 PM
i appreciate your replies + rep for yall, i figured the tires would be expensive and brake pads i can manage with all that i just didn't want to have to worry about "babying" my G around town because i do drive very hard and dont have the money for any big problems. is there a big jump in reliability for the 2005 over the 2004?

Old 05-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea id get a 2005+ over the 04. I have an 04 and the 05 i feel is just built better. better interior plus you get hte higher revving engine

Old 05-21-2006, 11:01 PM
My 04 G 5AT gave me absolutely no problems for about a year and a half besides a minor sunroof squeek which was fixed in a few minutes at the dealer when I was there for an oil change.

..and in the past month the following has happened:

-VDC/SLIP/Service Engine Soon light came on, and engine would stutter under heavy throttle, which magically cured itself but still freaked me out.
-Gas Tank Filling Difficulty.
-Bose head unit decided to stop reading all discs leaving me with only radio.
-Sunroof Squeek. (came back)
-Left Fog Light went out.
-Windshield Wiper Sprayer Piece fell off.
-Drivers seat feels extremely loose.

I considered my G extremely reliable, as the only problem I have had with it is the sunroof squeeking for a year and a half.. but now within the last month I dont know how this all happened, but I am left with an abundance of things wrong with the car and now I have to leave the car at the dealer for God knows how long..

But all in all, I still love the car and atleast everything should be covered under warranty, and all of these are still pretty minor problems for the most part. I will deffinetly miss the car for the couple of days its going to be out at the dealership.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:44 AM
once again i greatly appreciate that detailed answer ^^ i might look for an 05 G now i just need to decide if i want to go 6MT or AT. is there ever any problems with the manumatic? because i would deff. always drive it in manumatic mode if i don't go 6MT....

Old 05-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a 04 and the interior isnt the best in quality. but the 05 and 06 looks great.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:59 AM
i dont really care about the interior quality it fits my tastes i am just worried that i will end up dumping a ton of money into small engine problems

heeb: were those problems of yours covered under warranty?

also im sure this is quite a newb question but what is plenum ? and whats a plenum spacer?

Old 05-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Knock on wood....

No major problems with mine yet('04 Coupe 6MT). My sunroof creaks a bit when I open it(everyones does), but all the dealer does to fix it is spray some grease in the seals so that it slides rather than burrs as it opens/closes. I'm going to try to come up with a better solution than constantly regreasing the sunroof with wet-type lithium grease every few months.... but as long as no damage is done by the noise, I don't really care.

My interior soo far has held up fine and haven't had any mechanical problems. I'm going to order a set of Hawk HPS pads and probably change those soon or at least take off my rims to get some measurements on remaining pad levels to get an idea of how much I have left.

The biggest annoyance about this car is the cheap paint quality. I don't even drive on the highway much at all and I always keep about the thickest coat of wax possible on my car, yet my front bumper looks like it's been hit by a shotgun.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:32 AM
Premier Member
I have an 05 and have been very happy with it so far. Only had one minor problem with the Check engine light when I first got the car. But that turned out to be my fault for "topping off" my gas tank ...

So your coming from a boosted IS. Are you planning on any Forced induction for the G ?

Old 05-22-2006, 09:35 AM
hmm... forced induction would be nice ^^^ but i dont think so the Lex took about 10 grand of my money just on turbo + install and everything else that goes along with that.... i think the G will just be a nice classy car i can cruise around in no need to spend a ton of money!

Old 05-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Go ahead buy the G no reliability issues on my 03 sedan. I've just recently upgraded to an 06 coupe. Overall the interior is nicer but at least to me not a huge difference.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The G is not a car that will break down. However, it is well known that there are areas of weakness, while not major, can still be annoying and expensive. They are the following: Front tire feathering and short lived tire life. Weak paint that easily chips. Brakes that need to be replaced sometimes within 20,000 miles. Sqeaks and rattles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: honest answer seeked about G reliability