G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Opinions of Rear Active Steering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Opinions of Rear Active Steering

I did a search and surprisingly, there were no fully developed discussions of this new option. Maybe it is too new.

Nonetheless, what are the existing opinions of this option. I am new to the G35 scene (long-time and current Mustang owner) and I purchased RAS with my fully loaded 06 g35 6MT. I will say that the handling is fantastic compared with my Mustang (torque is dissapointing, but that is another story).

The handling is also far superior to the loaded (w/sport tuned suspension) 06 G35 sedan I drove as a loaner. And yes I got on the sedan. It handles about as well as my stock (albeit also loaded) 2002 Mustang did when it was new.

How does the RAS compare w/ a same year non RAS 6MT?

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 05-31-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
kinda off topic, but i owned a hicas (rear stear) 300z tt. i could never tell if it did anything or not.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:34 PM
edited by Dr_jitsu

Old 05-31-2006, 03:35 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It's on my new M-sport and I'm glad it is. It's another safety feature that these rides are loaded with.
As to handling: it's hard to quantify, but it's supposed to be excellent in promoting good avoidance maneuvers (at speeds over about 30mph).

So a hearty +1 from me.
C.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:43 PM
Thank you, Msedanman...I hope you didn't see my first response to speed...I thought (initially, hence the edit) he was saying that I was off topic...my bad

Old 05-31-2006, 05:25 PM
I don't have it on my 06 coupe and my ride handles on rails!!!!! I do have aftermarket sways and suspension however........I think your money is better spent on some aftermarket mods..Markiev

Old 05-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by markiev37
I don't have it on my 06 coupe and my ride handles on rails!!!!! I do have aftermarket sways and suspension however........I think your money is better spent on some aftermarket mods..Markiev

Did you test drive/compare the RAS? Would RAS plus sways w/ my current mods (plus exhaust) put me on par w/ the M3?

Old 05-31-2006, 08:36 PM
No one else?

Old 05-31-2006, 09:11 PM
I drove both the RAS equipped 6MT, and a non-RAS when getting ready to buy my G.

I went with the non-RAS for a couple of reasons:

The RAS is good for lane changes, and sudden maneuvers at speed, but for overall corner handling and weight transfer you lose a lot of feeling in the rear end.

It's good for everyday driving and putzing around, but if you want to open her up and ride some twisties, forget about it.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
kinda off topic, but i owned a hicas (rear stear) 300z tt. i could never tell if it did anything or not.
I have HICAS on my 91 Z and hate it. It works/feels totally different. I'm not a big fan of assisted steering because you never know when it will kick in. It feels odd to enter a turn and expect a little slide then the assist jumps in and tries to help correct. It changes your direction slightly and takes some of the fun out of a high speed turn.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I did a search and surprisingly, there were no fully developed discussions of this new option. Maybe it is too new.

Nonetheless, what are the existing opinions of this option. I am new to the G35 scene (long-time and current Mustang owner) and I purchased RAS with my fully loaded 06 g35 6MT. I will say that the handling is fantastic compared with my Mustang (torque is dissapointing, but that is another story).

The handling is also far superior to the loaded (w/sport tuned suspension) 06 G35 sedan I drove as a loaner. And yes I got on the sedan. It handles about as well as my stock (albeit also loaded) 2002 Mustang did when it was new.

How does the RAS compare w/ a same year non RAS 6MT?
I did. And it was back to back. First I did the regular G and was flying around the twisties. Felt great and I could and did sense when the back was starting to go. My sales guy was okay with it BUT had a look on his face like
After 40 mins of beating I felt enough.

Now with the RAS going down the same roads. I felt a "false sense of security" meaning I at 1 point thought I could push her a lil more with no problem but then realized we were almost out of control. Not a cool feeling at all.

Summary: Without RAS you know and feel what the car is doing and can adjust with it.

With RAS..your like "Days Of Thunder" on the verge of out of control before you know it.

FYI, I thought I wanted 1 with RAS until I test drove it. Car was instock but I declined and waited until I got my girl.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:32 AM
I have RAS on my '06 Coupe (6MT) and up until last week was wondering if it was a complete waste of money...

Had to make an emergency maneuver @ 70 mph to avoid debris in my lane and could not believe how quickly the car reacted in shifting left and subsequently straightening back out.

I have no idea if all the credit should go to RAS, but I'm satisfied it played a significant role.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:13 AM
Can the RAS be toggled? (noob question I know...I get my G35 tomorrow ).

Old 06-09-2006, 04:35 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by machavez702
I have HICAS on my 91 Z and hate it. It works/feels totally different. I'm not a big fan of assisted steering because you never know when it will kick in. It feels odd to enter a turn and expect a little slide then the assist jumps in and tries to help correct. It changes your direction slightly and takes some of the fun out of a high speed turn.
I had a 90' TT and it sucked for Rear steering, it felt like I was sliding and so i'd compensate and then get myself into more trouble.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:36 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Sonics7708
Can the RAS be toggled? (noob question I know...I get my G35 tomorrow ).
Theres HICAS eliminators of sorts for 300zx, and 240sx with HICAS/ABS/LSD or silvias.

Its a bar that locks the arms which allow caster?!? (might be wrong on it) It keeps them from being able to move.Theres plenty for other cars, but with the G being fairly new ...maybe not yet. Look for them primarily by stillen and in Japan, drifters hate active rear steering!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions of Rear Active Steering