G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Drifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 12:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Drifting

There are two forms of drifting. One is the fastest way through a corner in a rally. The other is the exhibitionary driving you're referring to.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 10-03-2003, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you should all know when drifting. Should you be pushing too hard and get a little loose, even with the VDC off it will kick back in and cause you to take a little more of a ride than you expected. I speak from first hand experience. I believe it has much to do with the Sedans body roll as well. I was doing about 45-50mph around a turn when the rear kicked back on me. Immediately the VDC turned back on causing my car to kick back yet again, by this time I had compesated the steering to correct the first kick and it was all too late. I was turning into my spin now, and around I went. Fortunately I was on a wide enough road that I didn't hit anything. I always wondered why people suggested removing the VDC fuse before trying to drift... now I know.

P.S.
For those who care. I drive a Silver Sedan 6MT CA license plate "KRZ HAYN" = "Krazy Hawaiian". A "Shaka" is always welcome.

Old 10-03-2003, 05:07 AM

Tsuchiya...where are you? Come explain what "drifting" really is to these kids...lol! j/k
For me...I won't even bother trying to drift or burnout. Just gonna wear out the tire fast and spend more cash...kind of a silly act.

Old 10-14-2003, 01:03 AM

Yup you are right.... letting of the gas will cause "Lift Throttle Oversteer" which will kick the back out even more... For smooth exits out of the drift you actually give it even more gas and correct it with the steering wheel, it looks easy when some1 does it but it takes a hell lot of experience to learn... Don't do these on public roads, IMO the best way to learn is go out to an open parking EMPTY lot with no poles or curbs and no pedestrians around on a rainy day, and try it there, its easier to get the back loose on wet ground, and you are at slower speeds when you are doing it so its easier then trying it on dry conditions. Once you get the hang of it, its so much fun

Old 10-14-2003, 04:13 AM

drifting is really cool, but be careful. as devilonwheelz said, dont do this too often on public roads, and its always good to practice on wet, open parking lots. a guy i know has done some wild stuff with his m3 around town while i was driving behind him, and even though i do admit it was really cool and looked awesome, it was EXTREMELY dangerous.

i think driving schools have stuff for this. they usually dub it "car control", but basically its a class to go and drift all over the place (and you still learn some car control basics while you are doing it). if you are doin this, i recommend a different set of rear tires (get some cheaper used tires for your stock wheels).

anyways, have fun, and be safe, ive had a bad accident with drifting so im gracing my knowledge onto you for a reason.

good luck =)

Old 10-15-2003, 12:31 PM

Interesting thread...

I've had my G35c for 3 weeks now. I'm having a hard time getting a feel for it. I used to drive a '99 Miata, and I knew exactly what it's limits were and what it could do. I could toss that car around all day long and feel safe doing it.

In the G35, I guess I'm too paranoid about totally losing control to let it approach it's limit. It doesn't help that I'm trying to learn the car on public roads, so that makes me even more cautious.

Is it true that if you turn VDC off, the car will sense a loss of control and turn it back on? What's the point of having the switch then?

Old 10-15-2003, 12:36 PM

No, the car won't turn it back on. We've got a couple of forum members that have posted pics of the damage caused by skidding into a curb to prove it.

There's a piece of the system, called the Brake LSD, that doesn't get turned off.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter