G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Please Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help

I was wondering if someone could help me out a bit. I haven't driven stick in a while and then got my new 04 G6MT 3 weeks back. Sometimes when I shift into any gear other than first, I hear somewhat of a loud knocking...as if the gear just locked. Is this a problem with the way i'm shifting (hoping it is)? Also, I've made the car cut off a total of about 10 times already within this 3 week time period, is this going to be bad for my tranny or engine?

Rookie in training

One Step Ahead of the Rest

109201-110-1032a_IMG.JPG

Old 09-26-2003, 11:25 AM
Re: Please Help

Did you break in the engine? Less than 4K rpm for the first 400 miles?

2003.5 G35C BL/GR, NAV, PREM, AERO, TINT, SPORT, Valentine 1

Old 09-26-2003, 01:06 PM

That sounds like a gearbox problem, but without more information it's hard to tell. Have an experienced manual-trans person drive it and see if it still does it. If so, it probably needs work.

As far as why, the jury is still very much "out" on acceptable break-in procedures. As has been stated in a multitude of posts, long-term professional mechanics vehemently disagree as to what is best, or even if there is any "best" way to break in an engine. Some say drive it like you stole it from day 1, some say go easy, medium, then hard at specific increments, and some say it doesn't matter whatsoever due to the significant testing and burn-in all engines go through prior to installation in the car.

Based on this, I find it incredibly unlikely that the problem you are experiencing is the result of whatever break-in method you used. Have a friend drive it, if it still does it, take it to the dealer for warranty repair.

03.5 Coupe - Black/Willow, 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, Sat

Old 09-26-2003, 03:29 PM

I haven't taken it above 3,000 rpm. I'll have someone who drives stick on a regular drive it and see how it feels. I hope that it's the way i'm driving and not some tranny issues. Thanks guys.

One Step Ahead of the Rest

Old 09-26-2003, 04:45 PM

Make sure your shift are at no less than 2200 rpm or so and see if that helps. Most stick newbies shift too soon

Old 09-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys I think he means that he stalled it several times and is worried that it will screw up the engine. Puli just don't make a habit of it, get those RPM's up when letting off the clutch to make the clutch engagement smooth around 1200-1500 RPM should do. As for the clunk noise are you sure you are engaging the clutch ALL the way when you shift? Some of my other cars that had stick this was not as big an issue. But I noticed that the tranny in mine is finicky and makes some noises similiar to what you describe if I don't push the clutch pedal ALL the way down, especially when shifting fast. Also I have noticed to achieve smooth quiet shifts in this car you actually have to let the clutch out alittle SLOWER when shifting up through the gears, this might also help. If it is still doing it then it's off to the Dealer with you. Good luck.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 09-27-2003, 03:45 AM

from my experience, when i step in the clutch all the way i get a jerky shift from 1-2. But if i do a quick shift not stepping in all the way then i get a smoother shift. Dont we also have a short shifter too so meaing we have a shift a little faster than usual and what not.

Old 09-27-2003, 05:58 AM

for the 1-2 shift, you need to let the rpm's drop a little more compared to the other gears. For instance...when you're going 20mph...around 3.5krpms...you shift to 2nd...but let the revs drop to like 1.5rpm cause that's the speed of 2nd gear at 20 mph. Maybe im explaining in a way that's confusing but you need to somewhat match the gears even in upshifting if u want that perfectly smooth shift. Oh, and ease off the clutch also. That locking sound might be that you're letting go of the clutch too quickly or you're just shifting without letting the rpm's settle in.

'03 G35c DG/G 6mt, full options

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.