G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

underside of coupe's hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
underside of coupe's hood

i couldnt find any pictures with search. Does anyone have any close-up pictures of the underside of the hood. The piece that says "advanced-midship-engine" on my hood seems to be warped and worn from heat or something, like the adhesive is coming off or something. Does anyone have a pic of this piece or can they take a picture of theirs. I know this piece is insignificant but I dont know why it looks like it does with only about 7500 miles on my car.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:05 PM
no pics but i can tell you mine isn't falling down, yet. but with the engine cover off it might start to do that. and don't let that thing come off, the heat will eventually start to f-up your paint on the hood

Old 06-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Here..

Attached Thumbnails underside of coupe's hood-under-hood-001.jpg   underside of coupe's hood-under-hood-003.jpg  
Old 06-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just as a sidenote, that piece is there to protect you and your car in case of engine fire. Theory being, the plastic plugs holding it on will melt, and the fire resistant material will fall, hopefully smothering the fire. Just FYI.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Spekterg35
Just as a sidenote, that piece is there to protect you and your car in case of engine fire. Theory being, the plastic plugs holding it on will melt, and the fire resistant material will fall, hopefully smothering the fire. Just FYI.

Hmmm.... I never thought of it like that. Makes sense. Or maybe it won't necessarily smother the fire, but at least it'll suppress it enough so that when you go to open up the hood, the flames won't rush up and out suddenly.

Learn something new everyday!

Old 06-20-2006, 08:48 PM
a fitch, thanx for the pix. Yea mine used to look like that but when u look closely you can see the edges have become worn somehow and the thing has become warped. Maybe its because I left my car outside all day on 90 degrees + days, is that possible? Also, do you think i can get a new one under warranty ? I hate little imperfections like that on my car, it really bothers me.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:05 PM
You're welcome. I'm sure you can go to your local dealership and get it, or even order it online. I can't imagine it being that expensive.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:58 AM
Its made mostly of fiberglass, so it has fire retardant property. Fiberglass has lots of air pocket between the fiber, as you know air is very good insulator. Kinda like material in you ceiling and attic.

The proper name is underhood insulation, as per dealer. Engine compartment is pretty hot during operation, combining that with direct sun light on the top side make for a pretty hellish enviorment for the paint. Being able to spare one heat source, help the paint last long. This is the main reason Nissan put it there. That and it help surpress the engine noise, same with engine cover.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When my friend got his 03 sedan back when they first came out, I went with him to get the car and the dealer made a big deal about that insulation being a safety feature in case of fire as well. Not totally sure about it being there to save it from paint damage on the hood, but it made a lot of sense to be a fire suppression device.