G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

To buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To buy or not to buy

Have a S2000 but a baby is on the way. Need a car that I enjoy driving but can accomodate a child seat in a pinch. Not going to be the primary baby mobile have a honda passport for that.

Here is the question. Anybody managed to put a baby seat in their G35 coupe ( not interested in the 4 door ) and if so how much of a pain was it to use?

Any general comments on performance vs the S2000 would be appreciated as well. A little leary of giving up my FUN. Don't worry strictly no FUN with baby on board.

Old 10-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: To buy or not to buy

A bit of advice, buy the sedan. While yes the coupe looks killer, your going to hate trying to get the baby and bayb seat in and out of the car. You not going to always want to take the passport. you should buy a car that fits your new families needs and is fast to boot.

Jim
'03 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 10-02-2003, 05:24 PM

s2kowner,

As a previous owner of a 2000 S2000, I can give you some insight on the comparison between the S2000 and the G. I don't think I can help with the child seat part as I do not have any. But I do think many members here use child seat.

As for comparing the two cars, it is the proverbial "apples to oranges." Even though I do have the coupe, I really miss the S2000 sometimes. I know this is subjective, but in terms of sheer fun, I think the S2000 gets my thumbs up. It's not to say my G35 coupe is boring. On the contrary, I love it. I think the G is a great handler but you do feel its weight compared to the S2000. The G has a rigid chassis but in terms of feel, the S2000 seems even more rigid. And some may love it/hate it, but I love the high revving engine of the S (you must like it as well). But at the same time, I like the torque of the G...it is definitely addictive. In other words, if you can float both, keep the S2000 and buy the G as well. They are both great bang for your bucks in terms of performance and fun. If I could, I would have both. Just my .02 cents.

Mike

03" G35 Coupe
6MT, Desert Platinum, 19" SSR GT wheels

Old 10-02-2003, 07:13 PM

Based on my previous experience with coupes and kids (4 with a set of twins). If you need to keep taking the seat in and out, very inconvenient. Buy a seat for the G and leave it in!

2003.5 G35C BL/GR, NAV, PREM, AERO, TINT, SPORT, Splash, V1

Old 10-02-2003, 07:34 PM

Plenty of room for the baby seat.. It is sort of a big hassle to put it in and out, but like ur quote sez you won't need it everyday.

Also .. Im a small person (compared to most people), being Vietnamese @ 5'6. So I find the back of the coupe to be plenty of room .. Others may look at this not so, so it depends on how much room you want to work with in the back... If it were me, I would put up with it to get the coupe... IMO I disliked the G35 sedan styling. I like the Gcoupe cuz it has the same body shape as the 350z, but better.

Performance wise, S2k will rev better, G will feel way more torquey.. IMO inside of G is nicer, has decent gauges .. I don't kno about you but the S2000 gauges are horrid ( on the 2003 model at least.. I dont' kno about the rest). G has nicer shifter. =)

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 10-02-2003, 07:39 PM

I'm in your boat, dude. Wanted to buy a sports car, but had a kid on the way. The G-coupe was a great find - sports car power, styling, hadling, etc. and a back seat to boot.

If you want a sport sedan, the 4-door is a good choice. But if you want a sports-car, get the coupe.

G35 6MT/DG/Fully Loaded
[i]HyperGround Kit
350Z intake duct
K&N drop-in
Aluminum pedals
50%-35% smoke tint

Old 10-02-2003, 08:51 PM

I'm in the exact same situation. We have a two year old and two cars. Almost always, we take her car instead of mine so it is isn't a big deal. Like everyone else says, get the babyseat and leave it, otherwise you are going to regret your decision.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:24 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're thinking of keeping it as the kid grows a bit, and you want room, get a sedan. I know everyone with a coupe likes to deny it, but there's not a huge difference in performance between the two. I'm going to go with C&D's #s here, since most people agree on them: The 6MT Sedan ran a 5.9 0-60, while the 6MT Coupe ran 5.5. Both ran 14.2 in the 1/4 mile. What does that tell you? The sedan's lighter, but the coupe's a hair heavier... BUT, the ability to have a more practical daily driver...? The numbers worked for me...

I drive the coupe pretty much every other day, and the sedan daily... I gotta say, having access to both, that I don't regret having the sedan. If you drive one, make sure it's got the sports suspension, though, as without it you'll feel less connected to the road, as many say when they get loaners (bare-bones).

Drive around, have fun, and choose what works best for you-- this is just my opinion, but seeing as I just posted it in the coupe forum, I'm guessing the sharks will soon swarm [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-03-2003, 01:27 AM

I have a sedan. The rear doors open 80 degrees.. makes getting the baby seat in and out easy. It's anchored in the middle with the LATCH anchors, and there's room for two people in the outboard positions without being squashed between the childseat and the door.

Test drive a 6MT or an auto with the sport suspension, and see just how much of a "sacrifice" it really is.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 10-03-2003, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the insight folks. I will give the sedan a test drive and try to keep an open mind. Unfortunately finding a 6mt coupe and a sedan with the sport suspension to back to back test drive will probably be a challenge. I will see what I can do. Got a little bit of time so I may be able to swing it.

Unfortunately keeping the S2000 isn't an option. Already tried to rationalize doing that but just couldn't. Would love to throw a cover on it and garage it for weekend driving. It is a 2001 but it only has 8,000 miles on it. I fly a TON for work so don't do much in town driving. Low mileage and mint condition makes for a great keeper car and I will probably regret getting rid of it but my wife is going to stay home with our baby for an indefinite period and carrying three cars on one income just doesent make cents ( pun intended ). Gotta grow up sometime.

I will keep checking back to this thread for other thoughts and comments. Again thanks for the input.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:10 AM

S2, I have a 7 year old and a 4 year old and bought the coupe in Jan. The four year old of course still needs the seat and it's not that bad. My wife has an suv so when we take longer trips we use the truck. Around town though, not a problem.

Old 10-03-2003, 12:15 PM

i have a coupe and occasionally need to put one or both of the kids in the back. i have had both kids in back in car seats without a problem. it's a bit of a stretch to get them in and out but for occasional trips its really no big deal. i usually remove the seat as its only every couple months that i even need to put them in the car. we also have a tahoe that is the usual family car.

2003.5 G35C 6MT Laser Red
Premium/SunRoof/Aero/XM

Old 10-03-2003, 12:15 PM

No worries Loren. Haven't even thought for a second that I would put the baby in the S2000.

On the lighter side

Maybe auto makers should start providing real life statistics on their cars. Like time it takes to install a baby seat and insert a child in seconds for each of their cars. It could be called the 0 to lockdown test.

Lots of data available on 0-60, 1/4 mile, Skid pad G's etc. Here is a list of alternate statistics for vehicles

Hang On Rating - how many hangers of dry cleaned clothes will fit on the stock clothes hanger.

Cup shift infraction rating - how badly does the cup holder interfere with shifting. Can be rated in the ounces of coffee spilled while shifting through a quarter mile run. S2000 sucks in this category.

Bag Load Quotient- How many average bags of both plastic bagged and paper bagged groceries can it hold. I know car and driver is famous for its golf bag test but frankly this means nothing to me because if I am going to play golf I ain't driving because for me at least golf = beer.

Mung retardation level - How well do the seats resist various staining items. Could be rated in little ice cream cone icons. A one cone seat being less resistant than say a four cone seat.

Trunk release contortion rating - How likely are you to strain/pull something reaching for the trunk release. Could be rated in average # of trips to a chiropractor experienced by a team of 20 drivers reaching for the release from the drivers seat. Again the S2000 would blow this rating.

Glove box hair product capacity - My wife will kill me for this one. What % of the items found on your hair stylists shelf will fit in the glove box.

Fairly sad huh. Sounds like I am in the market for a minivan not a sports car.

Again thanks for the input on the baby seat thing. I will keep checking for your thoughts and comments. Sounds like this site is fairly polarized between coupe and sedan owners. I wonder which I will become.

Old 10-03-2003, 01:06 PM

I am still sticking with the get the sedan line. We traded in my wifes 2000 eclipse for our G. There was nothing wrong with her car except it didn't have the two extra doors we needed.

First, My eight year old son was outgrowing the back seat. I smashed his feet too many times by adjusting the passenger seat back to a poitn where I didn't have my knees against my chest. Now some will say the eclipse is smaller than the G coupe. It is but only by an inch. I know this as I measured it.

The big pain was when we would drop my son off at school. the passenger would have to get out of the car, pop the seat forward, let my son out, adjust the seat back, get in adjust the recline and go. Now do this proeceedure while angry soccer moms in expeditons wait impatiently for you to get the hell out of the drop off zone.

In a few years you will realize that the coupe was a mistake and trade it in on a 4 door car. Follow my advice and save thousands now.

Jim
'03 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy