G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Why wouldn't everyone upgrade 17" to 18" at dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why wouldn't everyone upgrade 17" to 18" at dealer

gsg, I don't think there is anyone that says manual transmissions make "real sports cars" who have 17s, because the W&T packags comes with the manual G. You couldn't get a stick and 17s even if you wanted to.

Old 10-08-2003, 05:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea some ppl might not like the wheels blah blah blah... but please! it comes w/ LSD!!! it costs around $1000 for after market LSDs!! and personally i think the 18 inch wheels look awsome... (the stock 18's are $900 each) and i like the "metal look" then the black inside...

i guess u dont need the LSD if u r not gonna race or zoom thro corners...

thats well spent $600 there!

Old 10-08-2003, 08:01 AM

Based on my research here and on many other forums, the factory 17" rims appear to fit over the Brembo brakes but the clearance is much less. I sure wish someone would do the swap just for the heck of it and take pictures to prove it once and for all. I would do it in a second if I knew any other coupe drivers in my area who had the 17" wheel's. Seriously, at a meet, what would it take? 15 minutes at most?

6MT Coupe / Laser Red / Built in May 2003
Delivered by Grubbs Infiniti

Old 10-08-2003, 01:15 PM

I agree the tire and wheel package is a bargain... but if it snows in your area, it's not a practical choice... but hey sometimes we do stupid things lol The interior trim is a personal preference but I think it give the car a cleaner looking interior... and then you get the LSD... for $900, I don't think thats bad at all... but of course, everyone's situation is different...

Old 10-08-2003, 03:19 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mani:
You kind of make my point. The manual trans.cars all come with the 18's. That is considered the highest performance model for the G.
Thus, my point was since most people on this board are always seeking the highest performance, why would anyone want the 17's w/o LSD when the 18's w/LSD are available at at a bargin.
My other point was that automatic owners take a lot of flack on this board because some people feel that you must have a stick for it to be a real sports car. I was just applying that logic to the 18's also! Why would you want lower performance with 17's w/o LSD?.

Old 10-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Re: Why wouldn't everyone upgrade 17" to 18" at de

couldn't agree more. i got the 18" for the LSD. was going to aftermarket the rims but now i've grown attach to them.

Old 10-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Re: Why wouldn't everyone upgrade 17" to 18" at de

How much does it cost to get a decent set of 18" winter tires? I've been searching for a G35 w/17" wheels but the LSD might be worth it to get the wheel and tire package. But if I do get that I'll definitely need a set of winter tires. I'm guessing I won't be able to change the tires myself so how much is it going to cost me for the tire change?
Thanks.

Old 10-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big wheels do not make a "real sports car," they're as cosmetic as a rear spoiler on a front wheel drive car. Unless the 18" wheels are many pounds lighter than the 17" wheels (and it's usually the other way around), they will accelerate and brake more slowly. Laws of physics do not permit otherwise. Now, there are other factors at work, such as the quality of the tires and brakes, but under equal conditions and cast from the same material, 17" wheels are faster than 18" wheels, period. As for handling/cushy ride, that's mostly a matter of the size and quality of tire you wrap them in. Once the stock tires wear out, you can take your ride in any direction you want. The only item in that package that makes it highly desireable is the limited slip, which should have been standard in the first place, or at least not tied in to cosmetic racing wheels and ugly silver spraypaint on your dash.

I'm frustrated that we're heading down the path to the "I'm superior because I drive a real sports car" argument again. People who want a "real sports car" don't want a backseat. They don't want air conditioning. They want FEWER pounds of power-sucking electric motors and heaters in their seats, not more. They strip off all the sound deadening material. They don't order a sunroof (although you pretty much need to threaten the Infiniti salesman with physical violence to get one without it). They don't invest a thousand dollars putting in an even bigger stereo, they just yank the stock system out. And they don't buy a 3500 pound car in the first place, because none of those pretty performance tires or brake pads would last a month if most of the time the car was driven like a real sports car.

If you drive a G35 then you're compromising, just like the rest of us. Quit posing and enjoy the ride.

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

Old 10-08-2003, 11:09 PM

Actually I'd say from a stop, the 18s are probably faster, only because they come with the Pilot Sports which grip the pavement off the line like glue. In fact I'd wager the Pilots are the only reason C&D got a better 0-60 time out of the G than the Z.

That aside though, I agree with your point. The G is not a true sports car. It's a compromise, but in my eyes a very good one.

Old 10-09-2003, 12:04 PM

I knew I was going to get rims on my car so when my car was the only black G35 car in the lot and it came with 17s, I didnt' mind at all, even though it would of been nice to have 18's for a while

116578-rims 20s 016.jpg

Old 10-09-2003, 02:00 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JDMan:
I actually agree with you.
I'm not sure if the "quit posing" remark was addressed to me? If it was, you misunderstood my point. I was merely pointing out the irony in some of these discussions on this board - stick better than automatic, 18" better than 17", etc.
Everything is compromise and personal preference. That is why Infiniti has choices and options. However, the specific case of the G35's 18" wheels with Pilot Sports and LSD surely must improve performance - that is why they are on the top line model. That is a fact, not "posing." That is why the original poster asked the question!

Old 10-09-2003, 02:29 PM

Just for the record, I'm a poser.. I'm totally ok with it. I drive my car like a wuss. I dont street race or leave (single) rubber stripes everywhere I go.. I *should* be AutoXing, but I always miss the events. Yep, bone stock poser... but I still love every second in my car and could give a rats a$$ who does or doesnt see me in it. Live is good, even on 17's

bs g35c lth/prem

Old 10-09-2003, 02:35 PM

My rear right tire seemed to wear a hole lot faster than the left.Is that because i dont have the LSD? Or is it just because I like to drift left turns more frequently? I like to drive hard,so if I get/have an LSD,shouldnt my tires wear more evenly?

Old 10-09-2003, 02:47 PM

The Mclarin f1 supercar comes with 17's. what does that tell u

04 Sedan. Obs. Black W/ Willow. Premium, Navigation, Sport Tuned. 35% Tint on sides, 20% back, Hyper-Ground kit and Stillen high flow on delivery.

Old 10-09-2003, 05:25 PM

I think a lot of people have the impression that because if the car have manual transmission, it is consider a sport car. Well it is all perception. Yes manual does give the driver more control when come to shifting and litle bit more horsepower but more labor need from the driver. Now if one doesn't want to perform the labor, than automatic is a way to go. So really, there is only small minor differences between AT and Manual. It all depend on the driver preference. The question is, " do i want to stuck in traffic with a manual or automatic transmission?" my 2 cents.

g35mt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why wouldn't everyone upgrade 17" to 18" at dealer