G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

1st Gear Clutch Problems 2005 G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alan
ughh sounds like you guys need a bit of practice.
This must be at least the 5th thread on this or a similar subject. I can easily replicate the symptoms described in each thread if I tried, but it comes down to having good coordination between the clutch and gas pedals. If I felt I had a problem with the clutch, I'd take it to the Dealer and let a service advisor ride with me so that I could show him what's happening. Chances are he will be able to show you how to release the clutch properly or who knows maybe you do have a defective clutch.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go home!!!!

Originally Posted by dvlong
what about 1st gear...what should the rpm's be at when first shifting into 1st gear. from a stand still.....flat surface.................this is to help in avoiding any shaking.....
First thing, take your car back to the dealer because you don't deserve it. Two, you should have figured all this out when you first drove the car, I can only imagine how badly you are trashing your car's transmission. And for everyone else out there, I hope there is none of you that are downshifting into first once the car is rolling. That is a huge no-no and should never be done. Once the car is rolling you should never go lower than second.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by dvlong
so is smooth shifting into 1st gear from a stand still possible? If yes what is the technique most commonly used? That is to say is it alright to engage with a "thump" or a lot of torquue and just say smooth shifting is not really possible constantly?
It takes a lot of practice, like a good year or two, to drive a manual smoothly, especially in a car like a G because it's made more for performance than smooth shifting. Once you get good at it in a performance car though, you will find every car with a manual is easy to drive.

Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
And for everyone else out there, I hope there is none of you that are downshifting into first once the car is rolling. That is a huge no-no and should never be done. Once the car is rolling you should never go lower than second.
Now thats not completely true, downshifting into first below 10mph is fine if you know how to rev match, even 15 or 20mph occasionally if you need to speed up fast. There is no harm being done to the transmission if it's done right, the problem is it's just really hard to do it right.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now thats not completely true, downshifting into first below 10mph is fine if you know how to rev match, even 15 or 20mph occasionally if you need to speed up fast. There is no harm being done to the transmission if it's done right, the problem is it's just really hard to do it right.

Now why in the hell would I wany to downshift to 1st going less than 10MPH?? Maybe if you were towing a boat going up a steep hill? Don' see that too much with the G.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Now why in the hell would I wany to downshift to 1st going less than 10MPH?? Maybe if you were towing a boat going up a steep hill? Don' see that too much with the G.[/QUOTE]

In slow traffic that doesn't completely stop, around a sharp turn where you have to slow down to ~10mph, cruising in a parking lot or something in second gear and you want to speed up fast to show off, I guess thats about it.