G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clicking noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Clicking noise

The "clicking" noise you hear happens at about 8-10 mph after starting up the car, it is indeed the VDC-ABS system calibrating. Don't worry, it is normal.
You may also hear a click coming from the passenger seat once in awhile, that is from the airbag sensor in the seat, it is constantly checking the weight of the passenger, has something to do with the velocity of the deployment.

JD
2003.5 Coupe, Blk/Blk

Old 11-12-2003, 11:39 AM

Gcrazy,

I had the same problem. Also 5AT. They said that the problem was the rear brake pad when you go into drive and accelerate. They fixed it, no more clicking.

Old 11-12-2003, 07:09 PM

I have the same clicking noise too, @ outside by the front passenger side. I'm planning to take it to the dealer next week esp. if some other people here had problems w/ brakes, etc. If it would be normal as they say for the vdc-abs calibration, then it's not a very good system. it may work but the 'noise is annoying' esp. for an infiniti... i'll see what Southbay Infinti will say. Besides, there are more problems i want to tell them like the tire pressure monitor acting up and the vibration on the rear pass panel...

Old 11-12-2003, 10:27 PM

I have a G35CMT. I have noticed that same clicking sound too... i hear it right when starting up and notice it when i get home and its parked in the garage.. it keeps ticking for a little while.. i have a little over 1200 now but started noticing it around 800.I hear it around the front side on the driver side... im kinda worried about it but dont know what it is... have you checked w/ the dealer about it?.. anyone else find anything out?...

04' G35C 6MT TwilightBlue/Willow/Prem/Nav/SG

Old 11-20-2003, 04:56 AM

the guys that posted above were right! the clicking noise is the ABS resetting on intial take off or start. I heard the same thing on the loaner G35 sedan. I guess i just have to live w/ it, but i'll let infiniti know about how loud it is for what it's worth... even toyota, mitsu, lexus doesnt have that noise or at least it's not noticeable....

Old 11-20-2003, 08:30 AM

i would not bet on it being the abs. my car did the same thing (under torque of taking off or baccking up a ratcheting sound coming from the axles) and i thought it was the abs. brought my car to the dealer test drove it with the shop foreman, found out the rear hub nut was loose, they tightened it and it went away.

Old 11-20-2003, 09:36 AM

Hi All!
New to the site here, as well as the G35C (2 weeks to be exact).

I also read in the OM that this clicking noise is related to the VDC/TCS and ABS all resetting or "calibrating" before takeoff and that it is normal.

I have heard a different sound, though. While the car is running and I am outside of it, I hear a "stuttered" hissing noise coming from the RR of the car. Almost sounds like the braking system or something. Has anyone experienced what I am talking about??

Old 11-20-2003, 06:37 PM

MY PROBLEM HAS TO BE THE WORST OF ALL :

MY SITUATION:This stupid clicking noise comes every morning like you guys, every time I accelerate, everytime I switch gears ( I have an 5AT), everytime I reverse... and when I park... it has gotten soo severe that anyone who gets in my car hears it and finds it as an annoyance...

MY PROBLEM: I just put a system in the back of my car... I am afraid they will blame it on that and not give me the warranty I deserve... As a result, I have been hesistant to take it there...

MY QUESTION: What if i take out the subs ( unhook the wires from the sub box), hide the wires underneath the trunk mat? YET my amp is still drilled onto the back of the back seat in the trunk... Cant I just say I am PLANNING to change my speakers??

PLEASE ANY QUESTIONS COMMENTS ADVICE OPINIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

BaDbOy - "bLaCk BeAuTy"
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=321439

Old 11-21-2003, 04:06 AM

sorry to hear your problems. in my opinion, the subs shouldn't be the problem because you hear it everytime you change gears. if you hear the noise w/o changing gears or speed (cruising) and you hear the noise when you hit bumps and your sound system is off, then it could be the set up/subs. if you can easily take it off, i would do that just to verify if that's the one, but my guess is it can either be a transmission problem or an axle problem like the other guys who posted above. i would bring it to the dealer asap if i were you though... ride safe!

Old 11-25-2003, 07:23 PM

I also experience a light click sound from the wheels when backing up and applying the brakes lightly before moving forward. It is most likely the shim packs used with brake pad installation. My previous Maxima did it as well. The pads do move slightly when we load them from forward to rear....and the shims produce a slight click as the pads load up against the shims.

My opinion

Old 11-27-2003, 01:35 AM

I certainly get the clicking sounds after I startup and begin accelerating. Like mentioned by "04G_CAR", I get a hissing / swoshing sound when the car first takes off during cold mornings.

My dealer's service manager told me it was normal and that it was related to the ABS recalibrating. I have 2 other cars with ABS and I have never noticed this sound. I only have 1300 mi on it right now, but I am going to ask that he take care of the problem when I bring it in for an oil .
Looks like a number of folks actually got rid of the clicking, after bringing it to the dealer.

Old 11-27-2003, 02:22 AM

Dudes, if it only happens once right after you start the car, and sounds like an attenuator "click whooooosh", then it's the ABS and sh*t checking itself. If it happens every time you accelerate then you have some other problem. Check out my post from months ago:

=======================
Ok, I've scoured the owner's manual, and found **TWO** places where it mentions this "clunk" noise upon first driving out (and listening to the noise this morning carefully, it actually sounds like "*CLICK*CLUNK* WooooOOOOOOUUUUM".

In the Owner's Manual, Starting and driving [5-21] regarding the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Self-Test Feature: "The anti-lock brake system consists of electronic sensors, electric pumps, and hydraulic solenoids controlled by a computer. The computer has a built-in diagnostic feature that tests the system each time you start the engine and move the vehicle at a low speed in forward or reverse. When the self-test occurs, you may hear a clunk noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake pedal. This is normal and is not an indication of any malfunction..."

In the Owner's Manual, Starting and driving [5-22] regarding the Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) System: "The computer has a built in diagnostic feature that tests the system each time you start the engine ... When the self-test occurs, you may hear a clunk noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake pedal. This is normal and is not an indication of malfunction."

This must be what my service guy was talking about. And note that this ONLY occurs once (if at all) during an engine run (start/stop cycle). It does not/should not occur multiple times after the engine has already been started, and should not occur every time you accelerate.

=======================

-T

Old 11-27-2003, 02:37 AM

when i start my car in the morning i get the 'ticking' noise from the drivers side wheel well (coming from the engine) my dealer said it might be "the lifters" and to monitor it. the worst problem though is the 'grind or rattle i get after starting it when it has been sitting for a while (like 8 hours) it is very evident but the car behaves every time i bring it in to be checked. my dealer changed the starter but that has not fixed it. as for the abs and other self system checks these sounds occur quite a few seconds after start (as you start driving) and should not be too evident. the grind at start up and the light ticking when cold have really got me pissed because i have old chevs that make less noise than my g coupe. also the tires are cupping causing a rumble sound but im hoping it is a out of alignment problem. (the machine was broken when i brought it in) im actually thinking of trading my car for a 2004. really the dealer should fix any problems though. that is the problem with buying a new car, you hear every little change in sound and most mechanics think you are being too picky. some vibrations i notice come from the centre console rubbing against something. that is a 'clicking' sound that took me awhile to figure out.

g35coupe

Old 11-27-2003, 11:47 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As Jdking says the clicking noise is the VDC and ABS systems going thru a normal self test. One makes a noise after start-up and the other happens when you drive off and reach a speed of about 5 mph.
Bothersome, but nothing to worry about.
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>