G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Homelink Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homelink Question

I was wondering if it was possible to set up my homelink to work only when the key is in the ignition and how I would go about doing that.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:42 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't think you can do that. It needs the constant 12V to keep the memory. If you spliced the +12 and ACC wires then you might need to reprogram it all the time.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe we should trade mirrors. Mine only works with the key in. WTF? I want mine to work all the time. Out of curiosity, why do you want more limits? Is it for security issues, little kids, etc?

Old 08-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by STEVE-O
Maybe we should trade mirrors. Mine only works with the key in. WTF? I want mine to work all the time. Out of curiosity, why do you want more limits? Is it for security issues, little kids, etc?
he prolly dont want someone to break his window and use the homelink to open his garage door.....

Old 08-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverII
he prolly dont want someone to break his window and use the homelink to open his garage door.....
if he's parking outside then why even have it programmed in the first place? if it's for convenience of just opening the garage from outside then buy one of the keypad transmitters and mount to the side of the garage.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Hmmm

Originally Posted by dddragon2
I was wondering if it was possible to set up my homelink to work only when the key is in the ignition and how I would go about doing that.

I share your concern about the HomeLink being ON all the time. It might interest you to know that Mercedes and Audi use HomeLink and THEIR keypads are in-operable with the key out of the ignition. They somehow manage to make it work with no power, or else it's drawing power all the time. (I have never had a dead battery in either car btw)

Apparently Infiniti hasn't realized that if you park your car outside your garage, all someone has to do is break into your car and hit the button... and they are IN your house!

You might try pulling the HomeLink fuse out, letting the car sit for a while with it out, then replacing the fuse to see if it has lost it's memory. If it hasn't it and the opener works as it did before, you are all set.

It would be easy to wire a toggle switch to switch it OFF and ON.

That exact same thing is on MY 'to-do' list.

Good Luck with it. I don't like it ON all the time any more than you do!

Tinsby

Old 08-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tinsby
I share your concern about the HomeLink being ON all the time. It might interest you to know that Mercedes and Audi use HomeLink and THEIR keypads are in-operable with the key out of the ignition. They somehow manage to make it work with no power, or else it's drawing power all the time. (I have never had a dead battery in either car btw)

Apparently Infiniti hasn't realized that if you park your car outside your garage, all someone has to do is break into your car and hit the button... and they are IN your house!

You might try pulling the HomeLink fuse out, letting the car sit for a while with it out, then replacing the fuse to see if it has lost it's memory. If it hasn't it and the opener works as it did before, you are all set.

It would be easy to wire a toggle switch to switch it OFF and ON.

That exact same thing is on MY 'to-do' list.

Good Luck with it. I don't like it ON all the time any more than you do!

Tinsby
If you ever do get around to doing it, it would be great if you could contact me. For those of you wondering, I am worried that someone might break into the car when it is parked outside and also have access to my house.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Tinsby I followed your advice and tried pulling out the fuse. I left the fuse out for about an hour and when I put it back in the Homelink still seemed to work perfectly. The question now is how to rewire it.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by dddragon2
If you ever do get around to doing it, it would be great if you could contact me. For those of you wondering, I am worried that someone might break into the car when it is parked outside and also have access to my house.
But if you have a garage, why would the G sit outside?

Old 09-02-2006, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by blue3231
But if you have a garage, why would the G sit outside?
ehh I get lazy and there are other cars in there sometimes it is kind of a shared garage and we alternate.