Sedan Rental Faster??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
huhhh?

Originally Posted by jasonlee4180
You know...the last few times i've taken my car in for service and gotten a rental for the day, I've noticed that the auto Sedan I get "feels" faster and torquier than my 6mt coupe.

The midrange seems to pull more aggressively than it would in my coupe.

My only reasonings for this is because it's stock and I've done more breathing mods that may have sacrificed some lowend and midrange grunt? The powerband can't be that different, right?

Just curious if anyone else has this same feeling?
The obvious first question is how are your driving your own car? What rpms are you shifting at? If you are short shifting every time of course the auto will feel torquier and more powerful at a random rpm.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jclit
WOw, its a 12 pound difference.. Why do you sedan owners think your faster? Your Aerodynamics sucks compared to our, do you guys have zero-lift?
I think you need to read up in the information. The sedan has zero lift and has a better coefficent of drag. I know for a fact that my 03 sedan is rated at a 0.26 coefficent of drag with the rear wing and under car air diffusers which is better than that of the coupe's 0.29 coefficent of drag or with Aero package at 0.28.

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/...g35/home.shtml

As for weight, it's around 40lbs. It's nothing huge.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Coefficient of drag does not indicate the aerodynamics of the car... you have to take into consideration frontal surface area multiplied by the coefficient.

Does anyone have frontal surface area numbers on the G35 sedan and coupe?

Old 09-08-2006, 05:40 PM
So what if the sedan is 12 lbs lighter then the coupe! Isn't the average sedan owner 13 lbs heavier then the average coupe owner?!

Old 09-08-2006, 07:23 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
the loaner i get nvr feels faster, but the steering always feels tighter.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by jasonlee4180
I don't want this to become some Sedan vs Coupe, which is better debate

I liked the extra low/midrange grunt from the Sedan. I was just pointing out that my coupe didn't feel the same after I got it back. Even though they're the same engines...they didn't completely feel the same, though you'd think they would.
Yup I know exactly what you mean..

When I first drove a loaner Sedan I thought it was quicker than my 05 Coupe. I was driving a 03 or 04 Sedan.. so yes, it was torquier than my 05 RevUP. I guess this is why we felt that the Sedans seem faster.

I did drive a friend's 03 Coupe. Same thing.. torquier. That explains everything.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by LuXXXz
dude i keep tellin u coupe guys

sedans are faster the coupes
because they're lighter, and especially w/ sedans that change midpipes from sedans to coupe's its more of a difference
think about it
same engine w/ less weight
get it through ur heads coupe guys u dont drive a ferrari
kind of funny though, i ran my friends 05 accord v6 coupe auto, with the loaner g35x and we were neck and neck till 50 or so then he started pullin ahead. With my coupe I EAT HIS FKIN FOOD.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
Coefficient of drag does not indicate the aerodynamics of the car... you have to take into consideration frontal surface area multiplied by the coefficient.?
What?

Coefficient of drag: the ratio of the drag on a body moving through air to the product of the velocity and the surface area of the body
http://www.answers.com/topic/drag-co...icient-of-drag

Does anyone have frontal surface area numbers on the G35 sedan and coupe?
They're basically identical. They're on the same chassis. The coupe is fractionally wider in the front, but shorter. The sedan is the exact opposite. It's a wash. The longer roofline of the sedan helps keeps the CD lower.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:21 PM
I was looking at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_drag

The drag coefficient is a common metric in automotive design, where designers strive to achieve a low coefficient. Minimizing drag is done to improve fuel efficiency at highway speeds, where aerodynamic effects represent a substantial fraction of the energy needed to keep the car moving. Indeed, aerodynamic drag increases with the square of speed. Aerodynamics are also of increasing concern to truck designers, where a lower drag coefficient translates directly into lower fuel costs.

While designers pay attention to the overall shape of the automobile, they also bear in mind that reducing the frontal area of the shape helps reduce the drag. The combination of drag coefficient and area is CdA (or CxA), a multiplication of the Cd value by the area.

In aerodynamics, the product of some reference area (such as cross-sectional area, total surface area, or similar) and the drag coefficient is called drag area. In 2003, Car and Driver adapted this metric and adopted it as a more intuitive way to compare the aerodynamic efficiency of various automobiles. Average full-size passenger cars have a drag area of roughly 8.5 ft² (.79 m²). Reported drag area ranges from the 2005 Chevrolet Corvette at 6.1 ft² (.57 m²) to the 2006 Hummer H3 at 16.8 ft² (1.56 m²).

I'm not trying to take sides, per se, but just point out that pointing at your marginally lower Cd without consideration of frontal surface area is incorrect and misleading.

For the record.. numbers:
Sedan: 69 wide, 57.7 tall, 186.5 length not that length should matter
Coupe: 71.5 wide, 54.8 tall, 182.2 length

Last edited by mal_TX; 09-11-2006 at 10:26 PM.