G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Turbo or Supercharger for 5AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes superchargers are there from the start, but you will hit full boost with a turbo before a supercharger. Boost quotes on superchargers are what they peak at, and it is very high in the rpm band. For instance, on my mustang which was an auto, I had a procharger. I made 13psi boost, but I didn't make it until 6700, and I made very little boost in lower rpm. This is also assuming a centrifugal supercharger and not a roots style supercharger.

Last edited by majorbta; 09-15-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
the turbo hits full boost way before the supercharger for sure, but how long is that boost there for? Is it actually there until the end of the gear?

Old 09-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Sumlime311
Looking into getting either a turbo or a SC, but not sure what would be best for the 5AT. I am kinda thinking that a SC would be better since you dont have to wait for the turbo to spool up. But I really dont know, any comments could help
You really don't have to worry about turbo lag with a high displacement motor so don't let that be the deciding factor. All turbo and supercharger kits that I'll looked for have said that you need to upgrade the transmission before you start boosting the auto G or Z. I do not know exactly what that entails. Expect only around 350 hp even with a really good tuning job. You loose a lot of power due to the auto trans. I have an auto g as well and I'm going with the turbonetix single turbo kit. It's the same price as the superchargers and twin turbo kits will be 2-3 grand more expensive when all is said and done. check out the link below as well.

http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/customers/c-frank-g35/

Old 09-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nismo G
Is it safe to use in the manual mode? As far as if your in first take it to like 4000rpm then let off the gas and shift it doesnt hurt it or anything does it?

most importantly...does the blow off sound amazing?
Yes, it is safe to use in the manumatic. No harm in hitting 4K rpm and letting off the gas. Yes, the blow-off valve music is "sweet!"

My Son actually picked my Coupe up from the shop, after the install. He gunned-it coming up the street to my house (I was outside at the time)...he suddenly let-off-the-gas, and the blow-off valve was so loud, I thought there had been a malfuntion - - but it was just a good blow-off letting off steam!!!!!

Old 09-15-2006, 06:25 PM
so what it comes down to is that the turbo will prolly be better since you hit full boost before the redline unlike the supercharger. but you dont want to go over about 400hp with the stock tranny. Am I correct???

Old 09-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Yeah, not a good idea to go over 400rwp on stock motor. Also TT kits are more likely to put more stress on stock motor, due to higher torque power, can damage or shorten life span of stock motor.... On a 5AT, under 400rwhp, you may be ok with not doing a VB or TC upgradge.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Something to keep in mind -

Your not loosing lots of HP with an AT - for one item. Actually, because you have an AT, your car will never go out of boost. With an MT - you go out of boost and have to spool back up at every shift.

AT's have been, and always will be, the better boosted car solution. you will also have better traction and control in the AT overall.

As far as SC or Turbo options - bottom line is that the SC is ultimately safer than the Turbo and causes less stress on the engine. Will you pay for it by not having as much horsepower as a Turbo setup? Maybe - it depends on the blower you install, just like which turbo you install, as well as other mods and effectiveness of your tune.

You have to make a choice based on power and reliability and constant tuning needs - to figure out which way you want to go.

Rick

Old 09-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Something to keep in mind -

Your not loosing lots of HP with an AT - for one item. Actually, because you have an AT, your car will never go out of boost. With an MT - you go out of boost and have to spool back up at every shift.

AT's have been, and always will be, the better boosted car solution. you will also have better traction and control in the AT overall.

As far as SC or Turbo options - bottom line is that the SC is ultimately safer than the Turbo and causes less stress on the engine. Will you pay for it by not having as much horsepower as a Turbo setup? Maybe - it depends on the blower you install, just like which turbo you install, as well as other mods and effectiveness of your tune.

You have to make a choice based on power and reliability and constant tuning needs - to figure out which way you want to go.

Rick
Say it was between the APS single turbo or the Vortech supercharger. I dont think either will put me over 400whp. The supercharger would prolly give me better reliability and the APS turbo will give me a better 1/4mile time? And if I do get the turbo, since I have the 5AT, the turbo will never unspool???

Old 09-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sumlime311
Say it was between the APS single turbo or the Vortech supercharger. I don't think either will put me over 400whp. The supercharger would prolly give me better reliability and the APS turbo will give me a better 1/4mile time? And if I do get the turbo, since I have the 5AT, the turbo will never unspool???
AT's wont take a vacuum hit or break in between shifts - so the advantage of always being under boost is there.

400HP is defiantly doable, if you haven't see my thread under Forced Induction yet - my Dyno is there and right at 400HP - after only a first level tune on the SS box - with stock kit pulley.

I have the 3.12 and will get it on soon as well. The car still needs to be dialed in a bit better as well. It was 98 outside that dyno day.

For similar HP and adjustability, reliability and tuning, and general upkeep and less abuse on the engine - Vortech is the way to go. We have a GB going now to though this evening, so if your going that way - now is time to save that money as well.

Rick

Rick