G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

DIY: High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2006 | 01:51 AM
Just did this mod tonight... I didn't think it'd make much of a difference to be honest. I kinda got used to the unusual ("kinda", key word) action of our stock clutch after 2 years. Anyway, this is a must for all 6MT owners. The car is much more of a pleasure to drive now... Just seems so much more sporty!

Old 10-03-2006 | 06:28 AM
Instead of doing the clutch trick (since there is a possibility it may prematurely wear out the clutch),

Let's be specific here. The clutch can't be adjusted since its hydraulic. What's being adjusted is the clutch pedal. The only problem that I can see occurring when adjusting the pedal is to lower it so much that the clutch plates don't fully disengage which of course will cause premature clutch wear. So if it were me I'd be a little cautious at how much I lowered the pedal.

Old 10-03-2006 | 05:07 PM
well i decided to give tihs a try anyway, and just like someone else posted before, I reversed the change for the following reason. Before the change, when I press my clutch and give gas while in 1st, I can feel a characteristic vibration in the clutch pedal when it is at the friction point (AKA, the point at which the clutch is actually wearing).

After doing the change and lowering the pedal a bit, it felt like the clutch was constantly having that same vibration. I can also hear when my clutch is at the friction point and wearing, and the car was constnatly making that sound even though the clutch was not depressed. I took it to a lot and put it in second, and let the car coast on a level surface. The car was moving by itself! Usually, it will roll to a stop, sputter and stall UNLESS i press the clutch. But after the mod, the car would keep moving like an auto tranny does when you release the brake and the car moves. Bad news, so I reversed the whole thing and will get used to the way the disengagement point is on the G.

Old 10-03-2006 | 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by stillen_i30
well i decided to give tihs a try anyway, and just like someone else posted before, I reversed the change for the following reason. Before the change, when I press my clutch and give gas while in 1st, I can feel a characteristic vibration in the clutch pedal when it is at the friction point (AKA, the point at which the clutch is actually wearing).

After doing the change and lowering the pedal a bit, it felt like the clutch was constantly having that same vibration. I can also hear when my clutch is at the friction point and wearing, and the car was constnatly making that sound even though the clutch was not depressed. I took it to a lot and put it in second, and let the car coast on a level surface. The car was moving by itself! Usually, it will roll to a stop, sputter and stall UNLESS i press the clutch. But after the mod, the car would keep moving like an auto tranny does when you release the brake and the car moves. Bad news, so I reversed the whole thing and will get used to the way the disengagement point is on the G.
Exactly as I posted, the same exact thing happened to me. I advise against this mod if you want your clutch to live. 1.5 turns is the most I COULD suggest, anything more and your asking for it from the bad news bears.

Old 10-03-2006 | 07:03 PM
|
that makes no sense at all... the car is suppose to move if youre in 2nd gear without pressing the clutch or gas. Just because it didnt do it before the mod doesnt mean its wearing out. You can clearly feel when the clutch engages and disengages. Its just a pedal adjustment, it has nothing to do with the wear and tear of the clutch unless you over turn it(5 or more turns.)

Give it a day or two and itll feel normal, what most people are feeling are the jitters of something new, that has the potential if done wrong to go bad.

Old 10-03-2006 | 07:16 PM
Yeah, I havent made the adjustment yet, but I do know that if I leave my car in second it'll keep going without stalling.

Old 10-03-2006 | 08:48 PM
I recently did this mod. I adjusted approximately 1.5 turns. Clutch height feels much better now. I don't notice any problems with engagement.

Old 10-04-2006 | 01:40 AM
I did this mod last night. I turned it 3 turns like the DIY said to do. Well, on my way to work I noticed my cruise control didn't work. When I got home I played with it a bit. I backed it off to 2 turns and the cruise control was working again. It really sucks because I loved how the clutch felt at 3 turns. Oh well... 2 turns max and I think you'll be in the clear.

To all those that have done this mod, check your cruise control. If it doesn't work, you've gone too far with the turns.

Old 10-04-2006 | 02:29 AM
All you have to do is adjust the cruise control switch at the same time as the clutch pedal adjustment. It is adjustable in the same manner (loosen locking nut, turn switch appropriate number of turns, and retighten locking nut).

Old 10-04-2006 | 02:37 AM
Interesting... I'll try that out. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by k67p67
All you have to do is adjust the cruise control switch at the same time as the clutch pedal adjustment. It is adjustable in the same manner (loosen locking nut, turn switch appropriate number of turns, and retighten locking nut).

Old 10-04-2006 | 11:15 AM
|
ya theres a nut on top just make sure that the pedal is hitting the switch when fully disengaged.

Old 10-04-2006 | 02:45 PM
The cruise control switch is also the upper bump stop for the clutch pedal. Make sure you adjust it too, it will improve the feel of the clutch big time, lowering the pedal and making it less stiff.

Adjust it so the connecting pin is free to turn when the pedal is released, but binds up as soon as you start to press in the pedal. You will probably need to unplug the wires to be able to turn it.

For me, adjusting the cruise switch improved the clutch feel much more than adjusting the pedal did.

Old 10-04-2006 | 04:55 PM
i wouldn't advise this mod either. just like when people say it's not good to rest your foot on the clutch pedal when you're cruising. basically the same thing maybe worse.

Old 10-04-2006 | 06:20 PM
|
Originally Posted by accordfreak
i wouldn't advise this mod either. just like when people say it's not good to rest your foot on the clutch pedal when you're cruising. basically the same thing maybe worse.
Elaborate...

how is changing the position of a pedal equivlent to resting your foot on a clutch. Its engaging and disengaging perfectly. Maybe you should try it for yourself and then give an opinion about it. Most of the people saying its bad for the clutch are the people who havent even tried it. The nut was put there for a reason, call your dealer and ask them if itll cause any harm by moving the nut.

Old 10-31-2006 | 10:05 PM
Guys I have a SERIOUS problem...I this this mod and went about 2.5 turns...Took it for a spin and the new clutch is perfect...However I get a terrible vibration in my clutch pedal? Its only there when under load...If I let off the gas it goes away...Also somethin sounds a bit different from inside the car...I tried about 3 or 4 times to bring it back to stock but Im having no luck...

Anyone else experience this? Im worried the clutch isnt fully disengaging...I did all the suggested tests and everythin is cool...Help me out please!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?