G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Requesting all 18inch rims!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Requesting all 18inch rims!!

I want to see everyones 18" rims! Stock or aftermarket it doesnt matter. Im in the process of deciding on rims and want to see as many 18" wheels with different tires as possible.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I doubt yout gonna see any after market 18's...

Pretty sure your just gonna see stock 18's or modified stock 18's

Old 09-28-2006, 06:35 PM
yeah aftermarket 18's on g's arent that commmon why dont you go 19's???

Old 09-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
theres a handful of members with aftermarket 18s..but not many..

just do it right and gets 19s

Old 09-28-2006, 06:50 PM
I head that the 19s slow down the car quite a bit.....I dont want that slowness that they drag with them. They look awesome, but dont they cause your car to accelerate slower considering they are a bigger diameter wheel???

Old 09-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by boxa87
I head that the 19s slow down the car quite a bit.....I dont want that slowness that they drag with them. They look awesome, but dont they cause your car to accelerate slower considering they are a bigger diameter wheel???
lol where the hell did you hear that from? Yeah they might weigh a little bit more, but diameter has NOTHING to do with its acceleration. Going from 17's to 19's (or 18's to 19's) will have no impact on acceleration.

Weight on the other hand...

Old 09-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Overglorified Altima
its also an issue of weight. oem 19s are lighter than oem 18s (or so ive heard)

if you get 18s that weight 25+ lbs then you might as well get 19s lol

Old 09-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
lol where the hell did you hear that from? Yeah they might weigh a little bit more, but diameter has NOTHING to do with its acceleration

I actually think he is right on this one. You have to look at it in a different way though....its physics or i think it is hahaha.....

If you have 2 bikes both weighing the same except one has moutain bikes wheels and tires and one has the smaller racing wheels and tires and you get on this bike...you start peddeling down the road it is going to take more energy and power to move the bike with the bigger diameter wheel than it is the smaller wheel.....Im not sure if this is explained well enough, but its my opinion.....not sure if its correct at all or not but let me know what you think.....

Old 09-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Overglorified Altima
doesnt it have something to do with rotational mass or something? idk..its been a while since ive taken physics

Old 09-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by Nismo G
I actually think he is right on this one. You have to look at it in a different way though....its physics or i think it is hahaha.....

If you have 2 bikes both weighing the same except one has moutain bikes wheels and tires and one has the smaller racing wheels and tires and you get on this bike...you start peddeling down the road it is going to take more energy and power to move the bike with the bigger diameter wheel than it is the smaller wheel.....Im not sure if this is explained well enough, but its my opinion.....not sure if its correct at all or not but let me know what you think.....
No your definately wrong.

We are talking about a 1 inch difference. Oh and 300 horses to back it up.

The acceleration is the same, but the speed meter will assume you are using the stock diameter therefore it might be 1-4 mph off. That doesnt your going slower though, the meter is just off target. Thats all

Old 09-28-2006, 07:20 PM

The acceleration is the same, but the speed meter will assume you are using the stock diameter therefore it might be 1-4 mph off. That doesnt your going slower though, the meter is just off target. Thats all

as long as you get the correct tire...you shouldnt have a problem with the speedometer

Old 09-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G

Thats only true in the case where the overall diameters are different, when you change wheel sizes on your car you size your tires accordingly so that the overall outer dimensions are roughly the same, which would then make this affect negligeble. Also, going to a larger overall diameter will slightly decrease acceleration, but increase the top speed achievable in each gear so depending on the situation you could thereotically be faster with a larger diameter tire than stock.
In regards to rotational mass, the closer to the center of the wheel the majority of the mass is, the better the acceleration, so two wheels with the same weight, but differing sizes will have different acceleration characteristics, with the smaller wheel having the advantage.
These things only come into play in the theoretical world, and not necessarily in the real world unless the differences are extreme, ie comparing a 17" wheel with a 20" wheel, there may be some noticeable affect, but going 18->19" won't make that much of a difference if the weights of the wheels are similar

Old 09-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This is incorrect, you might not be able to tell the difference, but if your speedometer is off 1-4mph then you are also affecting your acceleration by that same percentage. Its impossible for you to have different overall diameters and achieve the same acceleration. Can't break the laws of physics, sorry bud. Nismo G is misguided in thinking the diameters will be different, but your reply leads me to believe you as well are misguided. In your case what you say may be true in the real world, and with 298hp the difference is very small, but if you strapped those wheels to say a 60hp car the difference in acceleration would be much greater, but the affect of the change in gearing due to the wheel diameter difference hasn't changed.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by redlude97
This is incorrect, you might not be able to tell the difference, but if your speedometer is off 1-4mph then you are also affecting your acceleration by that same percentage. Its impossible for you to have different overall diameters and achieve the same acceleration. Can't break the laws of physics, sorry bud. Nismo G is misguided in thinking the diameters will be different, but your reply leads me to believe you as well are misguided. In your case what you say may be true in the real world, and with 298hp the difference is very small, but if you strapped those wheels to say a 60hp car the difference in acceleration would be much greater, but the affect of the change in gearing due to the wheel diameter difference hasn't changed.
I was assuming he's used the right tires...but I kinda contradicted myself on the speed meter part. If he gets the right tires+rims, it should be fine. Therefore, acceleration should not change assuming his weight matches the stock ones he had before.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Well in my case i would be going froma 17" wheel to a 19 wheel.....so thats a bigger difference. Also, not all Gs have 298hp only the rev up motors.. in my case i have the non rev up motor with 280hp and also a 5at. So im not sure if in my case it would hurt me or not.....what do you guys think. I think the stock 17s weigh something around 24 pounds. If i were to go with a light weight 19inch (20 pounds?) and it was lighter than my stock 17 would i accelerate faster or slower?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Requesting all 18inch rims!!