G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Proper G Lowering?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Proper G Lowering?

What is the difference between throwing lowering springs on and adjustable shocks? Besides the obivious, adjustability. What else is different, Stability? Control? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:23 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
if you have the money then just get coilovers

Old 10-01-2006, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First. Springs are still utilizing the stock shock. You can get adjustable or not aftermarket shocks that a bit stiffer than stock.
Second. Coilovers, cost more than just springs or springs/shock combo but you get, like you stated, adjustability. Not just the hight but damper. these would be the basic difference.

Then you get into camber and toe. I have had both lowering springs and now coilovers. Big difference between the two. In price and all other aspects.

If you lower your car more than an inch, you will need camber kits for sure in the front and maybe in the rear depending how low you are going. There are many springs out there now for the g. Many different spring rates as well which I forgot to mention. This is important depending on why you are lowering your car.

If you want an improvement in suspension, go coilovers.
You will need camber kits as well but it would be the better investment.
If you are wanting just a little subtle drop, then go with just springs or maybe springs and shock combo. You will pay less.

It all depends on what you want and what you are going to do with your car.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PEARL-G
What is the difference between throwing lowering springs on and adjustable shocks? Besides the obivious, adjustability. What else is different, Stability? Control? Thanks in advance.
G35 coupes come with two different oem shocks, your owner experience will not be the same on just lowering springs with either of the two oem starting points.

Tokico D-specs are double adjustable shocks and can be set to softer then any oem shock or to stiffer then any oem shock. Vs oem they have much better valving and are going to handle aftermarket springs better, in some cases MUCH better.

Koni's are single adjustable shocks, you cannot adjust them to be stiffer then oem on bump. They do have adjustable rebound (rate of return), but the over all impression is they are as stiff as the oem sport suspension shock if not maybe a little softer. Overall, like the Tokico's they are valved much better then any oem shock.

Since aftermarket spring choices have so many different specs spring rate wise, it's impossible to tell you about stability and control and even then what is one man's sweetness is another's spring he uninstalled after a week. Certainly, their are choices that will offer more or less of that. Choose carefully and stay away from anyone that want's to market one choice as their so called perfect choice, sorry it's not that easy.

Be even more carefull in the coilover market if your needs take you their. Don't consider a shock and spring if your dropping past 1.5".

Old 10-02-2006, 12:11 AM
i primarily want to do it for looks and mayble a litte performance. BUt i dont want a bouncy ride? Sounds like coil overs may be the way to go. no?

Old 10-02-2006, 12:20 AM
I was looking at my sport package G and was thinking it really does not need lowering. Anyone with me on this?

Old 10-02-2006, 12:33 AM
i primarily want to do it for looks and mayble a litte performance. BUt i dont want a bouncy ride? Sounds like coil overs may be the way to go. no?
The lower you go the the stiffer the ride on coilovers.!! If you wanna keep a somewhat smooth ride get struts and springs.!! My friend has a 5.5 maxima on jic coilovers.That ride is horrible.!! Mainly because he is slammed on 20's.!!
but all in all do what you want to do but just remember IMO coilovers make the car look sweet with a nice drop but your gonna pay the price for ride quality.!! no matter what

Old 12-13-2006, 05:01 PM
I believe that unless you are planning on taking your car to the track. then all you really need is to replace the shocks and springs for better street performance. Since you are considering coilovers anyway, I would recommend that you spend a little extra and get Koni shocks with either Swift sport springs or Tanabe GF210. These mods with definitely give you better performance than stock and will lower your car I believe 1" at most. If you go any lower than 1" you WILL need a camber kit. You can ask most coilover owners how often they really adjust their suspensions and most probably rarely do, unless they are track racing. Hope that helps.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by tjlazer
I was looking at my sport package G and was thinking it really does not need lowering. Anyone with me on this?
lol i totally i agree i scrap places as it is i could only imagine it with a drop...

Old 12-13-2006, 05:09 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I love my stechs now with some wheels it will look just right

Old 12-13-2006, 05:21 PM

yup

Old 12-14-2006, 12:54 AM
I was going for a clean look more than performance and wanted a close to stock ride...

Went with Eibach Pros; tokico D-specks; EVO A-arms (expensive!!) and SPC rear camber kit. Wheel spacers (15mm/20mm) finished off the look.

Short of coilovers I think this is the best set-up (my two-cents). Still have to take care on big speed bumps and some driveways but it rides nice. I think the adjustable shocks make the difference.

Attached Thumbnails Proper G Lowering?-img_1302.jpg   Proper G Lowering?-img_1307.jpg   Proper G Lowering?-img_1309.jpg  

Last edited by mondo; 12-14-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

i have a the sports tune suspension..but then damn everyone i chill with has lowered Gs..which means im like the heights one haha...so its alright i guess...but i want it lower

Old 12-14-2006, 05:35 AM
mondo,

My opinion is that your car is too low. I think this guy is looking for a subtle drop that could easily be accomplished by doing some Tein H-Techs and that is it.

Coilovers are for track use mainly.....

Old 12-14-2006, 01:25 PM
dude. 350z Htech/Dspecs. Most popular if not close spring/shock combo. I think the Eibachs are also a little too low for what I think he is looking for.

ride is not bouncy...at least the woman hardly complains. Shoot, I can't even stand the ride if the shocks are set to stiffest.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Proper G Lowering?