G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 06 Fuel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
humm.. my english may let me down this morning... (french speaking here...)

here are articles I found on the web
:------------------------------------

Using high-octane gas in a car designed for regular accomplishes little except more rapid combustion of your money. Some refuse to believe this, claiming, for example, that premium gives the family Toyota better mileage or more power. These people are in dreamland. Others say premium is purer or contains detergents that will cleanse your engine of uncouth deposits. Likewise misguided thinking--government regulations require detergents in all grades of gasoline. (BP Amoco, I notice, asserts that its premium gasoline contains more detergents than legally required; if you think that's worth 20 extra cents a gallon, be my guest.) Some automotive types claim that using premium in a car designed for regular will make the engine dirtier--something about deposits on the back side of the intake valves. I've also heard that slower-burning high-octane gas produces less power when used in ordinary cars. Believe what you like; the point is, don't assume "premium" means "better."

Occasionally you get some genius who takes the opposite tack--he spends an extra 10 or 20 grand buying a high-performance car, then decides he's going to save three bucks per tankful using regular instead of premium as specified. He figures as long as the engine doesn't knock he's OK. Wrong, carbon monoxide brain. Car engines nowadays contain knock sensors that detect detonation and automatically retard the spark to compensate. The delay means maximum gas expansion occurs when the piston is farther along in its downstroke and thus there's more room in the cylinder head. This reduces peak cylinder pressure, eliminating knock but also giving you less power and poorer mileage.

------------------------------

here's another one:
http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/webtemp3.cfm?dept=3&id=2049

Old 10-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This reduces peak cylinder pressure, eliminating knock but also giving you less power and poorer mileage.

Exactly!
And the manual is VERY specific about running premium. To the point that you should refill with premium as soon as possible if you filled with regular when premium was not available. And it's written on the gas door?
What more do you need, engraved on your forehead?
The car is designed for performance. Other models using the same basic engine that don't have as strong words on their owner's manual, also put out less power.. maybe there is a clue there somewhere.. huh?

Old 10-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
the salesman at infiniti told me to run the lowest gas and as long as im consistent i will be okay
Yeah my mom was told the same thing from the saleslady. Wish she wouldn't have told my mom that. It took me from November '05 to July '06 to convice my mom to run 91. Once she did she noticed a huge mpg improvement as well as a noticeable power change. 91 ftw now.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
^hahahaha yeh my parents were there when the guy said that too. but i made sure my parents were also there when i asked the tech guy

Old 10-04-2006, 04:35 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by StoreKeeper
Can you run Mid-Grade gas?

Thanks in advance

Bruce/StoreKeeper99Z28 (USN)
Stick with what the manufacturer suggests, and don't listen to idle gossip....

I believe all the '06's require premium grade fuel.
If 91 isn't available, then mix half and half of 93 and 89 if you must.
If it were me, I'd just put in 93 and not worry about it.

C.