G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Strike one Infiniti, so disappointed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Strike one Infiniti, so disappointed.

It took me one day for them to get my tranny...gave me a G35 Sedan for a rental. When I had to get my right rear axel replaced, they had my car for 3 business days (plus over the weekend) and they hooked me up w/ an FX for a rental...those things are pretty sweet !

"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
- Homer Simpson

Old 11-10-2003, 09:29 PM

Well, for those keeping score at home it is week three and my dealership is still waiting on parts. Even my cynical self didn't dream it would take this long I went ahead and got Infiniti consumer affairs involved with a call today. The representative there seemed genuinely concerned and said that they had alternate channels to prioritize my parts/work since my car was out of service. I'm not upset with my dealership, but something has to give here w/Infiniti parts/repairs in general. If it takes so long to get the right parts and get it fixed, that's one thing, but don't keep saying the parts will be here tomorrow. After the second week it gets old...

Old 11-11-2003, 10:51 AM

So just to clarify, is it solely a clutch problem, or an entire transmission problem?

If it is "just" the clutch, maybe the stock one can't handle the power of the G35? Maybe they made a mistake? Could you possibly order an aftermarket clutch, one that could handle more power and have Infinity pay for the cost as well as the instillation?

I know no one wants to do that, as the stock parts SHOULD work. But maybe that's the problem...

If its the entire tranny, well, that seems flat out odd. You'd think the '04s would have these issues ironed out.

2002 NBP RSX-S
Hondata, AEM V2, DC SS adapter w/ metal bushings

Old 11-11-2003, 07:29 PM

Well, since no repair work has taken place thus far, they are not 100% sure what it is. But they have diagnosed it as a clutch problem. We'll know for sure when they tear it down and replace the clutch.

As far as going aftermarket, the issue was not a weak/underspeced clutch type of issue. I was still in break-in, doing under 4K and 1/2 or less throttle, and it sounded like someone was under my car banging/rattling metal w/no hint of clutch slip. Though at the end I was smelling clutch etc, I think is a manufacturing defect more than an underspeced clutch. Now my other car on the other hand (EVOVIII), it has an underspeced clutch...

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by LouXer on 11/11/03 04:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-11-2003, 11:09 PM

Guys,
Is this only an 03 problem or is it common in 04's as well?

Old 11-12-2003, 02:49 PM

I don't know that is common on any model year. What I do know is that my car is an '04 w/~1500 miles and that I've read at least 4 other posts about similar symptoms...

Old 11-12-2003, 05:10 PM

isnt week three getting lemon-ish by most states laws?

bs g35c lth/prem

Old 11-19-2003, 07:57 PM

Man this SUCKS! I got my car back last thursday and on Friday I detected a hint of the old rattle. Well now less than 250 miles later the rattle is back as loud as ever. I guess I'll be back into the dealer tomorrow and calling the Infiniti customer service line.

Old 11-19-2003, 09:40 PM

looks like there are quite a lot of onwers have troubles, at least mine is perfect so far... bought it on 7/27 and about 2400miles right now...

Old 11-20-2003, 12:05 AM

How serious is this problem? I just bought an 04 cioupe 6mt and after reading all your posts, im a little worried...

Old 11-20-2003, 10:29 AM

i think only small percentage of owners have problems... no need to worry about it... website is for complain/solve problems and expect to see all kinds of problems... and you don't see many good things cuz people don't bother to write the goodies...

Old 11-21-2003, 01:13 AM

I hear this clutch chatter that you're talking about. That is actually normal, and every 350Z that I've driven (i was a former owner) and my G included has this faint chatter when you release the clutch early. The only times I've ever heard this clutch chatter is when I get lazy driving in 1st. Nothing to worry about really.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:58 PM

These things do happen. Sorry it happen to you. It happens on every single brand and every model. Don't worry about it. I would haven't picked it back up tho. It was clearly on its last legs :-P

Old 11-22-2003, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Hey folks, just a little more info on my problems for those who think it's "normal".

It rattles with a sharp metal ping when engaging 1st gear w/any kind of load on the driver train (i.e.. hill, quick take off). It makes a nice ball bearing in a tin can whir through first. In second, it makes a softer version of the ping with any load on the drive train w/the clutch fully engaged. Also add into the mix that it's like I don't have a second gear synchro when the car is cold. Putting out of my subdivision in the AM shifting below 3K, first to second, sometimes I literally cannot get it to engage second gear w/out grinding it through mismatched gear teeth. Even after warm, second gear is totally hit or miss. Third is starting to feel a little off now too.

Perhaps the rattle is normal (I'd be disappointed if it was) but if the gear grinding is normal, man did I buy the wrong car :~)

When I spoke with the dealer again I got the "lest ride along and see if it's normal" routine. That's fine, I can see where they are coming from but it's the same noise they rode along for last time. The same noise that lead them to replace my clutch. Why's it normal the second time?

I also contacted the customer service line again and spoke w/the same rep. as before. He was very apologetic and seemed concerned about my situation. I basically let him know I'd already spent too much time trying to get this car straightened out and that I expected this next visit to be the last.

I have to say that Infiniti has been on the ball about saying the right things and doing the right things for the most part. But ultimately it's about getting my car fixed sooner rather than later.

Old 11-26-2003, 09:34 AM

Just a quick follow up. I had the technician at the dealership ride along w/me and drive the car himself. He agreed that the shifting was abnormal, esp. second gear, and the dealership has me scheduled for a new transmission next Tuesday.

I'm glad my local dealership and Infiniti in general is willing to go to such lengths to make sure my car fits my expectations, but at the same time I'm kind of paranoid about such major work and the unknown of an entirely next transmission (swapping one set of problems for another). Well, I'm crossing fingers that next Tuesday will end my tribulations.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Strike one Infiniti, so disappointed.