G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Lifter Tick, LOW OIL!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifter Tick, LOW OIL!?

OK, I've had my car for about 2 months now. I have about 3100 miles and already bought the oil to do my oil change. My wife took the car out to Nashtucky(4 hours away) and about 5 days later I took the car to work. I noticed a loud tapping. I only heard it for a short while and it went away. I assumed it was due to the extreme cold weather that day, perhaps it was something else .. I then got home and left the car in the garage for another 4 days. I started it up today and it was making a lot of tapping noise again. I was a little afraid one of my bolts loosened up from under my Kenetix intake. I noticed the noise was only while under a moderate/consistent load. Not under heavy acceleration. I parked it in the garage and let it sit for 15 min. I checked the oil.. it is just barely showing on the dipstick.. The dealer said not to do anything at all and they'll send a tow truck to get the car. I am unsure what could have happened to the oil that is missing.
I have a lot of carbon buildup on my exhaust, but not oily. so it's not blowing by my rings or anything, and not due to a bad PCV or anything. They're gonna check it out I guess and let me know what's going on.
Anyone on the board hear of anything like this?

Old 10-19-2006, 11:35 PM
another victim of a bad piston/ring design. ur engine is comsuming oil. there is no other answer unless the dimwit who changed ur oil only added 1qt.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^What he said. Cross your fingers that no damage has been done to your internals.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/110973-everyone-check-your-oil.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/show...il+Consumption

Old 10-20-2006, 06:46 AM
GTT
G35 Twin Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had this problem, but i'm fraid to take the care to the dealer cause i have utec

Old 10-20-2006, 07:22 AM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Make sure to take off any engine mods before the tow truck comes for the car.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:30 AM
I don't have to worry about the mods, I have a Kenetix on the car and the CAI, that's all. The dealer doesn't care about that stuff.. I had asked ahead of time what voids out my warrantee and they said only 4 things, no emissions eq. boosting over 7psi (turbo or SC), Changing the internals, and Nitrous. They actually have a "modifications/performance" services rep that handles all of that stuff. So I'm ok there.
I never noticed any blue smoke, so I doubt it's a problem with bad rings. I have plenty o' power coming from the car and all.. I'm hoping that it's not something too bad, but if it is I'm sure they'll make good and replace the shortblock.
This is the same dealer that replaced the entire bumper when my car arrived because it had 4 small VERY SMALL rock chips.
They didn't want to paint it, because it wouldn't look "right" they said.
anyway, I am going to have to get it towed in on Monday I suppose, since I have to be at work today.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by MightyMouse
I don't have to worry about the mods, I have a Kenetix on the car and the CAI, that's all. The dealer doesn't care about that stuff.. I had asked ahead of time what voids out my warrantee and they said only 4 things, no emissions eq. boosting over 7psi (turbo or SC), Changing the internals, and Nitrous. They actually have a "modifications/performance" services rep that handles all of that stuff. So I'm ok there.
I never noticed any blue smoke, so I doubt it's a problem with bad rings. I have plenty o' power coming from the car and all.. I'm hoping that it's not something too bad, but if it is I'm sure they'll make good and replace the shortblock.
This is the same dealer that replaced the entire bumper when my car arrived because it had 4 small VERY SMALL rock chips.
They didn't want to paint it, because it wouldn't look "right" they said.
anyway, I am going to have to get it towed in on Monday I suppose, since I have to be at work today.
Man where is your dealer?

-Dante

Old 10-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by beholder
Man where is your dealer?

-Dante
for reaaal!? im gonna drive my car there

Old 10-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by chobble19
for reaaal!? im gonna drive my car there
Memphass..
I did, however, just find out that I paid a premium for my damn car..
There are NO dealers other than ours from here to Jackson MS.. so it kinda sucks .. but I'll get over it
my car was like $34,900 or something like that .. all I have is Prem, 6mt, w/rear steer.. and that's about all.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
once that tapping starts, i believe the cams/valves are runnin' dry and has immediate damage. you're definitely not getting enough oil with the oil pump idling. that's why under a heavy load, the noise goes away since the pump is actually gettin oil up there. i did the same thing on my 87 supra and just traded it in for an accord like that. i really regret not checking the oil more often.