G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is this shifting technique TOO harsh for our cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it really seems like this guy already "thinks" he knows what proper technique is, but just wants some confirmation to feel more assured about it or something... so yeah, keep doing that and see how a SPORT car handles that kinda driving...

----
listen to what people are saying man. The clutch, tires, and drivetrain will take a beating from the way you are driving. and if you have to drive it hard, at least slip or feather the clutch.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Everytime im in the mood for extreme driving (usually on Freeway Entrance Ramps ) , I kinda push my car pretty hard with my shifting.

This is the way I shift when redlining my car:

Already rolling.... clutch in, put it in next gear, floor the gas, then dump the clutch (clompletely release the clutch, dropping the clutch, etc. ) .

I hear this is perfectly normal in aggresive driving... but I feel like my drivetrain and transmission is taking a beating (I guess from the big lugs during the 1-to-2 and 2-3 shifts)

Thanks for any feedback...

dude, don't even bother with the clutch to shift--it's such a waste of time. floor the hell out of it, jab that freakin' shifter into 2nd as fast and as hard as you can (you might have to use both hands to really get it in there). if it grinds, it means it's working. any problems, let us know.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigd2k6
dude, don't even bother with the clutch to shift--it's such a waste of time. floor the hell out of it, jab that freakin' shifter into 2nd as fast and as hard as you can (you might have to use both hands to really get it in there). if it grinds, it means it's working. any problems, let us know.
ROFL @ your sig.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:02 PM
I think the only real mistake here is in a younger guy listening to friends who aren't making the distinction between "agressive driving" and all-out drag techniques for a purpose-built drag car. Sure, it can be done on a street car, but the benefits aren't going to overcome the hazards.

If you're worried about a tenth or two on the street, get some sticky tires.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
You dont floor the gas and then dump your clutch. Do you know how to drive a manual? There is absolutely no reason to do that, unless your launchin in first gear. Even then, the max rpm you should dump it at is 3K. While already moving at higher speeds, you redline the gear, shift into next, redline that gear. You dont put it in gear, then floor it, then dump the clutch out. You gotta be a moron to do that. Learn how to drive a manual transmission before you blow it.
+1............

Old 10-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
No offense, but you dont sound like a fun driver
You don't sound like a smart driver.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Hmmmm i think everyone missed his point i think his question is more about rev matching. for instance let's say your going 60 MPH in 6th RPMs about 2000 all of a sudden a match box civic rolls up on you taunts you then takes off.

Remember you're going 60mph

1. Do you floor it? heck no you'd never smoke him

2. Do you throw it in 4th bring your RPMs up to 4000? Try it and tell me what you think

3. Do you Rev match in 6th (clutch, bring your RPMs up to about 4200) then put it in 4th?

You decide which option to choose.

In either case a match box civic is not worth your gas lol.

The question is how much more damage is option 2 vs option 3?

Old 10-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by G35 Drummer
Hmmmm i think everyone missed his point i think his question is more about rev matching. for instance let's say your going 60 MPH in 6th RPMs about 2000 all of a sudden a match box civic rolls up on you taunts you then takes off.

Remember you're going 60mph

1. Do you floor it? heck no you'd never smoke him

2. Do you throw it in 4th bring your RPMs up to 4000? Try it and tell me what you think

3. Do you Rev match in 6th (clutch, bring your RPMs up to about 4200) then put it in 4th?

You decide which option to choose.

In either case a match box civic is not worth your gas lol.

The question is how much more damage is option 2 vs option 3?
first of all that was not his question.
Second, u dump that bitch to 3rd by blipping the throttle to 5000rpm and rape the ****. So the answer would be none of the above.
Learn how to drive.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:43 PM

You could be right, but I believe he's talking about upshifting not downshifting. Rev matching is a concern when downshifting and heel and toe is what most of us do to get the revs right. When upshifting in a race, I power shift. I launch at around 3500 - 4000 RPM and pop the clutch. When I get to about 500 RPMs under redline, I shift into the next gear without taking my foot off of the gas pedal. The shift is made in about a 1/4 sec and this is the way to get your best 1/4 mile times.

Is launching your car and power shifting tough on your clutch? You better believe it but if done on an occassional basis, it won't cause significant wear.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I laugh at most of the sarcastic and negative comments here.

chilibowl, I obviously know how to drive a manual car (smartass), but driving it under WOT (aggresive driving) isnt exactly the same...

This question was mostly directed to those who have driven this car pretty hard, particularly the track drivers, not the old grandma type of drivers.

Also, when I stated "I floor the gas then dump the clutch... this is almost done instantaneously and simultaneouly.

Thanks for those who helped

Old 10-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Retired SuperMod
Also, for some odd reason, many of you have street racing in mind.

Im actually taking my car to the track next week; thats part of the reason I started this thread... to avoid any unneccesary damages to my car although aggresive driving always gives it the normal wear and tear and beating

Old 10-23-2006, 03:24 PM
I never dump the clutch all the way before WOT(upshift). I usually ease the clutch pedal and throttle simultenously. Once the clutch clutch reaches the friction point, my throttle is about halfway.

As soon as clutch passes the friction point then WOT. But all this happens within split-seconds.

dropping the clutch altogether is way too hard for the tranny because of the high rpms(redlined) and all of sudden engaging to 5000 rpms after synchros. Usually you hear a loud bang when you drop the clutch like that, as if you bottomed your car on a road bump.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by DaVince
I never dump the clutch all the way before WOT(upshift). I usually ease the clutch pedal and throttle simultenously. Once the clutch clutch reaches the friction point, my throttle is about halfway.

As soon as clutch passes the friction point then WOT. But all this happens within split-seconds.

dropping the clutch altogether is way too hard for the tranny because of the high rpms(redlined) and all of sudden engaging to 5000 rpms after synchros. Usually you hear a loud bang when you drop the clutch like that, as if you bottomed your car on a road bump.
Then if u lose to a honda civic don't post and say why did i lose.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:33 PM
skaterbasist

If u shift up and there is no thumping sound coming from the back along with the chrip then ur all good man. I got 30k hard miles on my car and my car goes through chirping gears when entering highway at least twice a day. Im still on the stock clutch and it still grabs like its almost new.

Drive ur car however u want it. Just make sure that thumping noise is not coming from the differential.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
skaterbasist

If u shift up and there is no thumping sound coming from the back along with the chrip then ur all good man. I got 30k hard miles on my car and my car goes through chirping gears when entering highway at least twice a day. Im still on the stock clutch and it still grabs like its almost new.

Drive ur car however u want it. Just make sure that thumping noise is not coming from the differential.

Ah I see... Thanks for the tip

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this shifting technique TOO harsh for our cars?