G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is this shifting technique TOO harsh for our cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 01:34 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Is this shifting technique TOO harsh for our cars?

Everytime im in the mood for extreme driving (usually on Freeway Entrance Ramps ) , I kinda push my car pretty hard with my shifting.

This is the way I shift when redlining my car:

Already rolling.... clutch in, put it in next gear, floor the gas, then dump the clutch (clompletely release the clutch, dropping the clutch, etc. ) .

I hear this is perfectly normal in aggresive driving... but I feel like my drivetrain and transmission is taking a beating (I guess from the big lugs during the 1-to-2 and 2-3 shifts)

Thanks for any feedback...

Last edited by Skaterbasist; 10-23-2006 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well yeah? I bet you're chirping your car too. Your tires, brakes, clutch, and transmission are taking a huge beating. I'd calm down if i were you.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:49 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinn
Well yeah? I bet you're chirping your car too. Your tires, brakes, clutch, and transmission are taking a huge beating. I'd calm down if i were you.
Are you an MT owner?

I really do not know how you got the idea of "your tires, brakes, clutch" are taking a HUGE beating. Theres a reason why they call the Luxury Sport cars. Plus, the tires, brakes, and clutch are probably taking the least beating.

The only thing I am worried about is my shifting technique and how much my car can take of this.

C'mon, have some fun with your car! No offense, but you dont sound like a fun driver

Old 10-23-2006, 02:03 AM
ON
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
lol.

i do that too. except my "technique" is a lil different. i clutch in and let off the gas at the same time and switch gears and then release the clutch and floor it at the same time. It probably is a lil harsh for the cars, but its fun.

I don't think the brakes are taking a huge beating at all when you're doing that...unless you end up behind a slow car while merging and have to slam your brakes. lol.

tires and clutch are taking quite a beating though, but not as bad if you were tracking your car.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yume
lol.

I don't think the brakes are taking a huge beating at all when you're doing that...unless you end up behind a slow car while merging and have to slam your brakes. lol.
Or... when you dump the clutch, and stomp on the gas and brakes at the same time. I bet that'll wake you up! lol

Old 10-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
You dont floor the gas and then dump your clutch. Do you know how to drive a manual? There is absolutely no reason to do that, unless your launchin in first gear. Even then, the max rpm you should dump it at is 3K. While already moving at higher speeds, you redline the gear, shift into next, redline that gear. You dont put it in gear, then floor it, then dump the clutch out. You gotta be a moron to do that. Learn how to drive a manual transmission before you blow it.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
...I hear this is perfectly normal in aggresive driving... .
who did u hear this from? this is totally wrong. don't be surprised when your master cylinder warps... your synchros go... and u start grinding gears.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
You will not see any pro drivers doing that unless they are showing off AFTER the race. Yes, it will eat your clutch, U joints, tires, LSD and trany up.

Remember, unless you get someone other than the dealer to change your clutch, you are looking at $1.5 to $2K AND the loss of your warantee.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Already rolling.... clutch in, put it in next gear, floor the gas, then dump the clutch (clompletely release the clutch, dropping the clutch, etc. ) .

I hear this is perfectly normal in aggresive driving... but I feel like my drivetrain and transmission is taking a beating (I guess from the big lugs during the 1-to-2 and 2-3 shifts)
Are you the same guy that signals AFTER you change lanes? Yeah, that's you. You got your steps all facked up.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:34 AM
This shouldn't be hard to adapt to, and you might find yourself going faster.

1. Start to clutch in and a split-second later pull out of gear. You'll be exiting the gate right as the clutch disengages.

2. You're in between gates with the clutch fully disengaged and ready for the next gear.

3. Enter the next completely.

4. Come off the clutch and roll into the throttle at the same time, very quickly. By the time the clutch pedal is fully up, your throttle should be planted to the floor. You'll limit the amount of clutch-slip and the resulting driveline shock.

This should pretty well mesh into what you feel is a single move or process that takes no thought.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 10-23-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:41 AM
lol wow this was quickly turning into a flame thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Banned
what??

Originally Posted by kevinn
the chirping is completely normal when you are pushing it. However, you shouldn't be floring it before you let your clutch go. It should be still a smooth transition between getting back on the gas and off the clutch. I hope you already know this. The beauty of japanese cars is that they are made so well that you can "beat on them" (driving aggressive correctly) all day and they will just laugh at you. If you were to do the same with really any other car you would have serious problems occuring really soon. You will definitely be wearing down your car more quickly by constantly driving like this so I would try calming down, (I have the same problem too though lol).

Old 10-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Theirs really no point in dumping the clutch at a stand still, I wouldnt even floor it in first gear if i wasnt at a track, its just a waste of tire..But when im on it i dont even let go of the gas.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 06BLACKMT
lol wow this was quickly turning into a flame thread
This isnt a flame thread, the kid has to learn how to drive his car. I dont know what kind of idiot told him its okay to do that, but you dont floor the gas in between gear shifts with the clutch in. That is f*cking ridiculous. I see so many threads on this forum, about problems with people driving a 6MT. It seriously isnt rocket science. Yeah the G clutch is a lil weird with its high engagement, but come on now, any1 can adapt to it. Driving a manual is the same for every single car, it has been standardized. Equalize gas and clutch on 1st gear, then clutch in, shift, clutch out while equalizing with gas. Some people make this sh*t harder than it has to be. Skater, find someone who has KNOWLEDGE with driving manual transmissions, and ask him to teach you, before you grind up your gears and fry your clutch. Please do that favor for yourself.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:41 AM
D.K
I hear this is perfectly normal in aggresive driving...
That's not normal in any type of driving. Are you bouncing off the limiter between shifts? If you want to powershift, do it correctly. Gas to the floor and stab the clutch as quickly as possible during shifts. Make peace with your syncros first...they won't last long.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this shifting technique TOO harsh for our cars?