G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

KB Cobra owner looking to make the switch.. need some advice..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a m3

Old 10-29-2006, 02:38 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Yeah the 08 coupe is going to be awesome...

Not only is it going to make our great badass coupes look even better... its gonna be faster.

Keep that in mind...

Old 10-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I am not looking to get into one til spring, I would imagine by then we will have tons more info and pics of the 08. So if i really love the 08 I can go for that. But from what ive seen so far, i honestly like the current generation's looks much better.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Another former Mustang owner here, but I had a 02 GT that I wished was a 03/04 Cobra..oh well.

But I've always loved the G.....always, but for some reason I ended up in a 350z (sorry guys). I had my chance at buying my dream Cobra, but I passed and bought 350z.......sold that 350z and am now on my 2nd 350z but this one is white with an APS TT setup.......a little over 400 at the wheels....lots of power.

Before purchasing my 2nd 350z, I was about to order a 2006 G35 just the way I wanted it....but then I got wind of the redesigned model coming out and I changed my mind (again).

As far as white with black/dark interior...you will not find that anymore on the newer model G's unfortunately. It's the exact combo I wanted as well on a G...but you just can't buy them like that anymore (unless used).

But on my 350z I have that color combo, and I love it.

As far as 2006 changes to the G, yes the new models have the better interiors. But in 2006 (if you get the sport package) you will see the cars also have a different front bumper and sideskirts as well. It took awhile for the 2006 tail lights to grow on me, but I do like them now.

Once you make the switch, you'll never want to own another Mustang again. The fun factor on a Mustang is there...but like you...I am 27 now and I'm thinking a little differently.

Also, you thank yourself you switching after seeing your insurance drop

Mustang

1st 350z

Current 350z

Old 10-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Talking

Hey man thanks for the info. Looks like youve owned some nice cars Stang is very nice! But it looks like you already made the jump and you seem happy that you did and that's cool!

I will miss the raw power of the Cobra no doubt. There's nothing like the feeling of lining up with a WS6 or Vette or Viper and watching their expression once the KB starts screaming as I pull away. But as I am sure you understand, you get to a point where you want to just have a very nice car to drive comfotably, and the stangs are obviously rougher around the edges.

I am already mentally ready to get into a G35 and go run low 14s. That's just fine by me. I won't try to build my G up. I've still got my Fox body for that.

But that does suck the new generation wont have the white ext/ black int combo like I want

I have always loved white, and the ivory pearl on the Gs is gorgeous! With the right set of wheels it looks amazing!

But thanks for your insight, I appreciate it! Sounds like I will be happy once I do make the move!

But now I am curious as to what the difference is in front bumper and side skirts in the 06s, i have to go look at some pics.... i honestly didnt even notice a difference....

Old 10-30-2006, 12:56 AM
No problem at all. I forgot the mention that the headlights changed as well in 2006....subtle...but there are changes to them.

As long as the 2006 model you're looking at has the sport package (19" wheels, etc), you will see a different front bumper and different sideskirts.

Think hard before you decide on Ivory Pearl. For the 350z, the white color is Pikes Peak White. If you're just gonna drive the car around and leave it looking stock, then you're fine. But whites likes these are hard to match in a body shop if you ever have any paint work done.

2006 (headlights, sideskirts, front bumper different)

Old 10-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Hey man sick *** Cobra.. I myself came from a 96 cobra and basically stock running the same times.. so im impressed.. def a much smoother shifting car. With bolt ons and d/rs and a good launch mid 13's are possible. As far as luxury goes.. i get far more looks and compliments then my Cobra.. Although the cobra was a mean *** car and felt faster, the G is deceptively quick. have yet to lose a pull on the highway. Funny thing is i went through a big debate before i bought this car about buying my buddies 03 cobra pushing 550rwhp.. and glad i went wit the G.. Just soo much more class and luxury. Although if ure interested in a trade let me know lol.. Your car is beautiful
-Adam
My Cobra

Heres the ebay link of how i bought the car several months ago.. since i swapped grilles, looks much better now..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...QQcmdZViewItem
anyways welcome and good luck wit ure G. How much u selling the cobra for anyways? possible trades?

Last edited by NaztyG; 10-30-2006 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Ahh ok thanks for the comparo 350Track!

Some subtle differences, I think both cars look fine!

Originally Posted by NaztyG
Hey man sick *** Cobra.. I myself came from a 96 cobra and basically stock running the same times.. so im impressed.. def a much smoother shifting car. With bolt ons and d/rs and a good launch mid 13's are possible. As far as luxury goes.. i get far more looks and compliments then my Cobra.. Although the cobra was a mean *** car and felt faster, the G is deceptively quick. have yet to lose a pull on the highway. Funny thing is i went through a big debate before i bought this car about buying my buddies 03 cobra pushing 550rwhp.. and glad i went wit the G.. Just soo much more class and luxury. Although if ure interested in a trade let me know lol.. Your car is beautiful
-Adam
My Cobra

Heres the ebay link of how i bought the car several months ago.. since i swapped grilles, looks much better now..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...QQcmdZViewItem
anyways welcome and good luck wit ure G. How much u selling the cobra for anyways? possible trades?
Hey Adam, thats a pretty nice Cobra you had there! They are fun cars no doubt, especially the 03-04s.

As for a trade, I would usually not consider it, but your car is the exactttt color combo I want. So I am interested in finding out more. Can you PM or email me some more info on the car like current mileage, and dings, dents, or issues you have had with it, what would you like to get for it, etc etc. Who knows, maybe if the deal is right we can work something out! Give me a shout man, and we'll take it from there, if you're serious about it!

Old 10-30-2006, 07:45 PM
id love to see a vid of that car.. i assume u got a bunch being in the race scene.. ???

Old 10-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol that is a very wierd transition

american mustle..to japanese luxury...

Old 10-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Brian
You said you're probably not buying until the spring...GOOD! The '07 coupe is due out in April (from what I've heard). If you can hold off until then, you can get a sweet deal on the '06, and see the '07 so that you can make an informed purchase. There's no drawbacks to buying an '06 instead of an '05, but there are major improvements between the '05's and '04 and '03 models, as some various bugs have been worked out. Personally, I made the decision to buy and '05 and I purchased it in June. I didn't want an '04 for some of the color choices and options that were not available before the '05 models.
If you're not planning on doing alot of body mods, definitely go for the Sport Tuned Suspension package - 19" forged rims, thicker sway bars than the base model, aluminum drilled racing pedals, unique "orange stitching" on the leather steering wheel, and Viscous Limited Slip Differential. I think the springs and shocks are different with the Sport-Tuned Suspension package too, but someone here can probably verify/correct me on that.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:59 AM
Originally Posted by Stealthy_G
Welcome,

I had an 04 Cobra with Apten and 2.8 pulley before getting the G. There is a huge difference in power, I mean huge. But if you can live with it I would recommend an 05' and up G35 coupe (more HP and better interior). The quality of the G is lightyears ahead of the mustang. Handling I would say is identical. The interior and technology of the G is far superior. Both transmissions are just as notchy and clunky as each other, but the clutch is a lot heavier in the Cobra.

Both cars get the same attention, but the G more from women.

Both cars have the identical crappy paint.

Both are 6 speeds, but there is a huge gearing difference. The G struggles to get the car going, while the cobra is not even breaking a sweat at 100mph and above.

Both have brembo brakes (04 G's), however the G's brakes look better.

G's do not respond well to mods at all. I am thinking about going FI in the G , but I am researching and finding a lot of blown engines.

Are you having the "tick" issue with the Cobra or transmission problems with the KB installed?

Good Luck

P.S. White G's look the best in my opinion, but the 05's IP's and up don't have black interiors
Dude,

SAME exact scenario over here man!!!

Let me shed some light on my situation.

I went from a 617rwhp modded 03 Cobra to an 04 G35. The mod bug steered clear of me for over a year. Yes, I held out that long. Believe me when I saay this, you WILL miss the reaw power and neck snapping torque of that Cobra, especially with the Kenne Bell on it. Needless to say, I had a Kenne Bell on my car for about a month until I wrecked the damn car. I am sure you know, street tires and 617rwhp do NOT mix. Making a long story short, I went up a curb, through a fence and into a car parked in a driveway. Pushed the parked car INTO a house. BOOKOO insurance surcharge on all that property damage.

So what did I do? I switched from Liberty Mutual and went with Geico, and yes, I did save about $400 from what I was paying BEFORE the accident. Geico RULES!

So the mod bug stayed away. I loved the G for its refinement, smooth ride, and HATED it for the lack of ANY torque below about 4500 RPMs. I am used to V8 power all my life, and going to a variable valve controlled V6, lets just say it felt a bit slow.

So I went ahead and ordered a cheap mod. the Stillen Z-Tube and plenum spacer. What does that lead to? More intake mods = exhaust mods. Let's not get confused, modding a G35 is WAYYYY more expensive that modding the Cobra. I remember when I installed just a 9" cone filter on my Cobra, it picked up like 10rwhp. Trust me when I say this, GONE are those days. Doing cheap mods on the VQ35 yield practically nothing and cost a ton.

I am 30 years old and I was saying the same thing to myself. I am getting too old to drive down to Seaside and race people on Friday nights for cash. Yea, it was fun, scary and all the other stuff, but to tell the truth, I miss it sometimes. I thought by getting a V6, it would keep me out of that game, but now I am looking in investiong about $1200 for JUST a cat-back exhaust for about 10rwhp.

The bug never goes away. Trust me.

Bottom line, keep the Cobra. You have too much money invested in the car and will never get it back. Just get a decent "beater" to drive around, semi-nice for the girlies that hate loud crazy Mustangs and call it a day.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:47 AM
D.K
Coming from another Mustang owner, there is a HUGE difference in power...and I only have an n/a GT...granted it's modified, but still. The styling and comfort of the G Coupe is incredible, but the performance will never satisfy what you're used to getting out of the Cobra.
In the end, when I made my decision, I opted to go with a 12 month lease on my G Coupe and keep my Mustang. It may be harsh, loud, smelly, and terrible on gas, but sometimes, I still need that.

Attached Thumbnails KB Cobra owner looking to make the switch.. need some advice..-mmffshootout2.jpg  

Last edited by D.K; 10-31-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Banned
i'd keep the cobra man. i came from a high 11 sec daily driven mitsu evo and i'm dyin to get back into one. the g is just such sh*t when u step on the gas and even if you spend the 10k on turbocharging it (the right way) fukin thing runs like a mid to low 12 at best. i'm gettin back into an evo asap and going for low 11's daily driven next time. there are numerous people runnin around with 450+whp in evos, stock bottom ends, stock ecu's just reflashed doing FINE. I miss it so much!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: KB Cobra owner looking to make the switch.. need some advice..