G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Winter rubber

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter rubber

I really hate to beat a dead horse as I'm sure this conversation has come up multiple times. However, I haven't seen a clear answer to the question I want to pose:

I picked up a coupe with the sport package, in which case I got the upgraded goodies, including the summer performance y-rated tires. Unfortunately, we've had a great deal of snow that fell here in Calgary last week and I've been unable to drive the beast since. As itwas, it took 15 minutes to get out of the parking lot at my condo, and on to the dry roads.

I've been trying to price out a set of tires, or steelie 17's and thus far the best bang for the buck I've got is for a set of Blizzak 19's that will fit on my stock rims. I've had a buddy that's been hounding me advising that it would be a stupid move to do so, since it would not only offer a rougher ride (to be expected) but the tread will wear away really quick, and do damage to my struts.

I just would like a straight up answer from fellow G owners, if it would be wise or unwise to throw some winter rubber on my stock 19's, or would it best suited to pick up some 17's and throw matching rubber on it?

Mucho's thanks.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kunzie
I really hate to beat a dead horse as I'm sure this conversation has come up multiple times. However, I haven't seen a clear answer to the question I want to pose:

I picked up a coupe with the sport package, in which case I got the upgraded goodies, including the summer performance y-rated tires. Unfortunately, we've had a great deal of snow that fell here in Calgary last week and I've been unable to drive the beast since. As itwas, it took 15 minutes to get out of the parking lot at my condo, and on to the dry roads.

I've been trying to price out a set of tires, or steelie 17's and thus far the best bang for the buck I've got is for a set of Blizzak 19's that will fit on my stock rims. I've had a buddy that's been hounding me advising that it would be a stupid move to do so, since it would not only offer a rougher ride (to be expected) but the tread will wear away really quick, and do damage to my struts.

I just would like a straight up answer from fellow G owners, if it would be wise or unwise to throw some winter rubber on my stock 19's, or would it best suited to pick up some 17's and throw matching rubber on it?

Mucho's thanks.
Get the 17's man. You can put the meats on the 19's BUT 1 nice
pothole and there done (bye-bye Mr. Rim).

See what I just did here https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/123705-winter-meats-missing-my-19-s.html

350z rims with 225/50 & 225/55/17's Blizzak's

Old 11-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The cost of dismounting and remounting your summer tires will end up being more expensive within 2 years of purchasing a set of dedicated snows, so unless you are planning on purchasing aftermarket rims for the summer months it won't be worth it. The damage to the rims from the winter salt etc will be significant as well.