G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

bose speakers with amp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but yeah like i said before... id recommend doing this amp upgrade for anyone, really really improves the sound quality of the speakers a lot.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:43 AM
Originally Posted by Valenti
Not to beat a dead speaker but I'll have to find the posting on another forum where it was shown that the FR changes with volume control position. I also have experienced this first-hand. It was said that the HU has a built-in "loudness" control. Recall that loudness (which is not the same as volume), changes the bass and treble emphasis at low volume levels. As the volume increases, less bass and treble is needed.

Either way, the stock delux HU sounds mediocre without some additional EQing, even using good speakers and a clean amp.
Maybe the SCV was on or differences in model year? I had a link to the RTA readouts I had done and there was only a very very slight bump in the very low end. Everything else was flat. It was a while ago for me which is why I can't find the link from my installer immediately. I'm not sure I agree that the Bose HU cannot sound good without additional EQing but obviously it can benefit. I'm on my third amp with my current speaker/stock HU setup so I've had some experience. The best thing that ever happened to me was my original DLS RA31 lost its sub channel. To be honest it never really sounded that good to me. Better than stock yes but not the power and definition I was expecting. When it blew I had a loaner DLS CA41 for a couple weeks and I thought it sounded very good. Very good definition and we were able to turn up the gains more than the RA wihtout distortion so it had a little more kick. I would recommend this amp highly. Neither had any EQing. I have had for the last couple days a new amp installed to replace the original blown one. It is a Zapco 1000.4 and it kicks both of the DLS buttocks. Whether its the raw power, lack of LOC or the balanced input signal it produces incredibly more volume and musically I find it outstanding so far. I need to spend a little more time with it but it is fantastic in every way to my ear for the brief period I have had it. You can download via a USB link to the unit EQ settings from included software which we did so I don't think you are wrong when you say it can benefit from EQ but I do think it can sound good without any given the right components.

If you want me to dig up the link with the RTA pics I will try and get the address. It's on my installers personal site somewhere.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:05 AM
Hey Valenti:

There is a little EQing going on. I was checking back in an old thread I posted in and which my installer also posted in. Maybe it was the one you read. It's fairly insignificant but you can be the judge.

Here's a link to the thread:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...923#post717923

I will still try and look for the link to the RTA pics.

Originally Posted by Valenti
Not to beat a dead speaker but I'll have to find the posting on another forum where it was shown that the FR changes with volume control position. I also have experienced this first-hand. It was said that the HU has a built-in "loudness" control. Recall that loudness (which is not the same as volume), changes the bass and treble emphasis at low volume levels. As the volume increases, less bass and treble is needed.

Either way, the stock delux HU sounds mediocre without some additional EQing, even using good speakers and a clean amp.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:52 PM
FWIW here is the link to post which has some info on the Bose HU output. The post also has a link to pics of the measurements el_duderino took.

https://g35driver.com/forums/show...08&postcount=1

Old 11-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by GeeMan
FWIW here is the link to post which has some info on the Bose HU output. The post also has a link to pics of the measurements el_duderino took.

https://g35driver.com/forums/show...08&postcount=1
GeeMan
Thanks for the first link. I remember reading that one (and another thread in another forum as well). BTW, the second link didn't work.

I'd also looked at the Zapco and was impressed. Problem for me was room. I needed something that would fit where the old Bose amp was (in my coupe). I couldn't use the rear of the trunk, because I need to fold the rear seat in order to pack my guitars and amp (that's the drag of hauling equipment in a G coupe . So I had to settle for something compact. No doubt that a better amp will provide better sound--all other things being equal.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:45 AM
Sorry dunno what's up with that. Coulda been the hour and high ingestion of cheap beer. Go to the sticky in the audio forum regarding upgrading the stock speakers and keeping the HU. amthar did a lot of work there and I noticed you posted there too. The actual pics of the readouts are here: http://kward1.homestead.com/G35pics.html and they came from a thread titled: "Audio Upgrade in 2003.5 G35 Sedan" by el_duderino in late October of 2005. That's where a lot of the original commentary on the HU took place. You can see my install with the old amp and speakers at: http://kward1.homestead.com/G35.html

The Zapco Reference is nearly two feet long but we pulled the parcel shelf cover in the trunk of the sedan and screwed it up underneath. Looks pretty good and stealth IMO and very little trunk space is sacrificed. Unfortunately that's not an option for you. Good luck and please don't refer to the HU as "deluxe". Someone might believe you.

Last edited by GeeMan; 11-11-2006 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to mess with an amp, you are better off changing all interior speakers!!!!
I have a BOSE system in my car... I would only mess with it IF I was changing the speakers and adding an amp!

Old 11-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Ramon
If you are going to mess with an amp, you are better off changing all interior speakers!!!!
I have a BOSE system in my car... I would only mess with it IF I was changing the speakers and adding an amp!
well i just messed with the amp and it sounds amazing, so im happy.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by GeeMan
Sorry dunno what's up with that. Coulda been the hour and high ingestion of cheap beer. Go to the sticky in the audio forum regarding upgrading the stock speakers and keeping the HU. amthar did a lot of work there and I noticed you posted there too. The actual pics of the readouts are here: http://kward1.homestead.com/G35pics.html and they came from a thread titled: "Audio Upgrade in 2003.5 G35 Sedan" by el_duderino in late October of 2005. That's where a lot of the original commentary on the HU took place. You can see my install with the old amp and speakers at: http://kward1.homestead.com/G35.html

The Zapco Reference is nearly two feet long but we pulled the parcel shelf cover in the trunk of the sedan and screwed it up underneath. Looks pretty good and stealth IMO and very little trunk space is sacrificed. Unfortunately that's not an option for you. Good luck and please don't refer to the HU as "deluxe". Someone might believe you.
GeeMan
I do have to wonder if there are differences between the YEAR of the Bose HU as well. I think your Sedan is an 03? My coupe is an 05 with the (pardon the expression) upgraded sound system. I posted install photos in another forum on another site as well. I think if I'd had the sedan, I'd have done what you did (and stuck a sub in there as well). Coupes are a compromise. Funny story though: I'd looked at the coupe but told the salesman I needed to make sure my guitar amp would fit in the back. We took measurements but I still wasn't satisfied. He said, "here's the keys. Take it home, load it up and see if it fits." I took it home, Brought it back 3 hours later...And that wasn't even the car I was thinking of buying (wrong color). Anyway, guitar am did fit with the seat folded, and I could still fit 3 guitars in as well.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:17 AM
I'd hate to guess on that one without testing. There was a lot of speculation about EQ in the HU and 2ohm speakers that were taken as gospel before we actually got some facts through the test. I'm sure el_dude would test yours if you were ever in the area. He's a tad crusty sometimes but loves disproving urban myths. If you're ever down in the area I'd be happy to introduce you. It only took an hour or so to probe the amp and connections. I'm wondering if he hasn't already run across a coupe of your era. I vaguely remember that he has seen one or two. I will probably swing by there next week and I'll ask him. I need to thank him for the Zapco amp. The DLS amp going kablooey was the best thing that ever happened to my system since it resulted in the Zapco.