G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Tools for header install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tools for header install

Im thinking about getting air tools for headers and further MOD projects.
Reason I consider getting air tools is b/c working under the car is soooo PITA.
I don know well about air tools, so need some advices of people using air tools.

These are what I found on harborfreight.

3/8" rachet , 1/2" impact wrench
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92208
this is hell of cheap deal.
reversible, 250lb/ft torque is aobut enough as well as rachet for the tight space. Do you guys think 3/8 will work well w/ the header install?

4HP, 10gal compressor
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90234
or
8gal, 120PSI
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90385

Which compressor would you recommend ? or other suggestions?

Old 11-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Never enough
Go to sears and but a LONG extension, about 20inches. Also get a set of gear wrenches with flex heads. These are the BEST wrenches Ive ever used!

Old 11-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Old 11-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Never enough
Old 11-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Never enough
Old 11-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks alot!!

Could you suggest anything else?

Old 11-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Never enough
You have a socket set right?

Trending Topics

Old 11-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
do not buy harbor freight their stuff is junk from china. Seriously, I bought a couple of stuff from them, a slide hammer bearing puller and snap ring plier set and they are so poorly made, even though it's cheap as heck, it's not worth it. buy quality tools, pay the price once and have them for the rest of your life. If you're looking for pnumatic stuff Ingersoll Rand is very high quality and not terribly expensive. I've heard that Central Pnumatic and Pittsburg Steel are cheaply made and won't last.

I second the recommendation on Gear Wrench, good stuff a real time saver. Just be careful and don't break bolts loose with the ratcheting end. I've had one go bad and stick after a couple of hard turns. It's not made for high torque applications. But once you break the bolt loose go to it with the gear wrench.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Never enough
Originally Posted by DHCrocks
do not buy harbor freight their stuff is junk from china. Seriously, I bought a couple of stuff from them, a slide hammer bearing puller and snap ring plier set and they are so poorly made, even though it's cheap as heck, it's not worth it. buy quality tools, pay the price once and have them for the rest of your life. If you're looking for pnumatic stuff Ingersoll Rand is very high quality and not terribly expensive. I've heard that Central Pnumatic and Pittsburg Steel are cheaply made and won't last.

I second the recommendation on Gear Wrench, good stuff a real time saver. Just be careful and don't break bolts loose with the ratcheting end. I've had one go bad and stick after a couple of hard turns. It's not made for high torque applications. But once you break the bolt loose go to it with the gear wrench.
Ive also had the sticking problem. Give em a tap on the floor and they're good to go. Ive pretty much abused these things. They've been through about five engine swaps, six tranny swaps, ect ect ect. They are the best wrenchs Ive used. I also have a mac set that I dont even use. I paid about four times as much for them

Old 11-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by G352NV
You have a socket set right?
yah.
I have craftman 117pc mechanics tool set.
I also have craftman 1/2" & 3/8" torque wrench.
I just purchased gear wrench sets, and 20" extension bar from sears.

Well then I think it's ready for the installation.
I looked over the strup header instruction. It doesn't look that hard tho.

Thanks for the nice information.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by DHCrocks

I didn't know that.
Im actually using their racing jack.
hope it's not that bad
But thanks.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
stick with craftsman or mac tools. Everything in our garage is mac tools. They supply my dads company so we get alot of stuff for free.....awesome product.

Anything you buy at sears is usually awesome stuff.....

Old 11-10-2006, 10:15 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I like husky tools they are cheap and have a life time warranty

Old 11-10-2006, 10:26 AM
quality tools are SO worth it!! If you are using cheap tools you will feel the difference as soon as you buy good stuff!!

For air tools make sure you get a decent size air line. The smaller the inner diameter the more volume and pressure you will lose and it is a significant difference. That small self coiling yellow hose might look convenient but depending on your compressor it might restrict your flow too much.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by uberchicken
quality tools are SO worth it!! If you are using cheap tools you will feel the difference as soon as you buy good stuff!!

For air tools make sure you get a decent size air line. The smaller the inner diameter the more volume and pressure you will lose and it is a significant difference. That small self coiling yellow hose might look convenient but depending on your compressor it might restrict your flow too much.

good point, those coiled hoses are junk, hate em. they never strech out to their stated lengths, don't hold up too well and when you do have them stretched out, they want to spring back so you can feel the tension. stick with a 3/8" hose that is enough for most tools.

For the compressors, what you listed looks like oil-less ones. That type is deafening look for an oil lubed compressor, it's much quieter and will last longer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tools for header install