G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Headlight Housing Removal (DIY)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2006 | 07:47 PM
|
Headlight Housing Removal (DIY)

Here is a DIY for removing I also posted in the DIY Section. I hope this helps some people out...

Here is how to remove your headlight housings yourself. You do not need to pay the dealer hundreds to do this for you. This takes a total of 20 miniutes to do.

1st thing you need is the right tools and you don't need many. You need a 10mm rachet and extension, a small flat head screwdriver and a long phillips head screwdriver.

This is how she looks getting ready to be violated.

Use the small flathead screwdriver to pop the 4 plastic rivets on the top of the grille and remove the grille by sliding it carefully towards you.

Here is how she looks w/ out the grille.

Now make sure your wheel is turned all the way in on the side you are working on.

Remove the 3 plastic rivits on the wheel well.

pull the wheel well lining out a bit and remove the 2 phillips screws with the long phillips head screwdriver. The Screw farthest in is not to hard to get out but is a PITA to get back in.

Next, remove the side marker light by pulling out (the side closest to the wheel 1st) and then turn the wire housing to completey remove.

Do the same thing on the opposite side, do not forget to turn your wheel the other way.

Your bumper will be free of the fender on either side now.

Now remove the 2 remaining plastic rivits which are holding the bumper onto the car. Be carefull to brace the bumper with your thigh so it does not slide forward on you.

Now I use a towel to put on the ground so the bumper does not get beat up on too much un-needed. I also put towels on the sides of the bumper so it does not scratch the fender on the sides... Trust me and take this precaution or you will get scratches. I do not uncrew the bottom of the bumper from the skidplate since I am just leaning the bumper forward a bit to get access to the lights.

Now the circled areas are the 10mm bolts you will remove in the order pictured. I do the one in the engine bay last to hold the light housing in place without letting it move around to much. When these bolts are out the housing will slide pretty easily.

these 2 can be in any order.

This one last.

Now the light housing is free and you can slide it out. The main wire connector is circled, you need to use the small screwdriver to push in on the tab and pull apart at the same time to disconnect.

Thats it.... You now have succeeded in taking your light housings out! To put it all back together just put it back in reverse order...

I also use zip ties to hold the clear corners in so they do not fall out or get stolen.

I hope you have found this helpfull and remember to try to do this work yourself to save money and to also learn as much as you can about your car.

Old 11-11-2006 | 07:59 PM
THE BATMOBILE
wow amazing DIY

Old 11-11-2006 | 08:08 PM
|
Thanks Truplay8.

It took longer to write the DIY and upload the pics than it did to take the car apart, take pictures, and put it all back together again today.... LOL....

Old 11-11-2006 | 10:23 PM
This is the cleanest/straight forward/ headlight removal DIY.. Thanks in advanced for those that don't know how to do it already.. Very well done TRIJI! Hey.. I noticed that your side marker doesn't sit flushed with the KURUMA either. Pain isn't it... lol i'm going to go get that fixed in a couple weeks, along with the rest of the kit, hopefully

Old 11-11-2006 | 10:30 PM
Diy H. H. R.............

Great Post.......now we're all a little smarter!!

Old 11-11-2006 | 10:55 PM
Great write up and photos of DIY. Thanks!!

Old 11-11-2006 | 11:27 PM
great DIY post, nice job on the pics

Thanks

Old 11-11-2006 | 11:53 PM
|
Thanks guys. I am glad it is easy to follow! ...

Actually my clear corners fit pretty good. In the Pics I had snipped the zip ties nearest to the wheel already so the other ties were pulling the back out and the front in a bit.

I am going to wash / clay / polish / Klass / P21S tomorrow since she is a dirty girl right now... I was almost embarassed to do this DIY with her all dirty like she is in some of those pics... LOL

Old 11-12-2006 | 12:16 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
nice job!!!

Old 11-12-2006 | 05:26 AM
Good job on the DIY. I did mine in a similar fashion when I painted my headlights. A few things to make your great DIY even better:
1. No need to fully remove the grill, just the snaps on top of the grill, then once everything else is removed, pull the bumper and grill forward in one piece. Saves a little time.
2. Tape the front of the fenders so that when the bumper is pulled forward it doesn't scratch the fenders
Hope this helps someone else out.

Old 11-16-2006 | 02:48 PM
thanks so much, awesome DIY

Old 11-16-2006 | 04:17 PM
Thanks for posting this up. I just had both my headlights replaced under warranty for the cracking issue. Problem is the driver side headlight is now slightly off alignment. Its about a 1/4 inch too far to the left, and is pressing against the hood. I was thinking of adjusting it myself, instead of taking it back to the dealership.

Old 11-16-2006 | 08:06 PM
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS!!!

-Wow

Old 11-16-2006 | 08:25 PM
Awesome job!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headlight Housing Removal (DIY)