G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

06 G35 Burning 4 Quarts Of Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 01:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an 06 with the same problem. I just completed my oil consumption test and my engine burned a quart and a half in 1100 miles. The dealer is calling Infiniti headquarters in the morning.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/110973-everyone-check-your-oil.html

Old 11-13-2006, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How are you guys getting an accurate reading on the oil (w/out going to the dealer)? The odd bends and twists smears the oil all over the stick when you pull it out.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:58 AM
Wilksoner,

In looking at your signature, I see the following engine mods: Fujita intake, Invidia g200 exhaust, Motordyne copper thermal spacer, and mrev2. You said you don't think you've ever redlined it but admit to having "gotten on it." With mods like that I suspect you've "gotten on it" more than a few times. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but if I were the service manager at the dealership you go to, you'd have a tough time convincing me that your oil consumption problem was not the result of "abuse."

In any event, good luck pursuing your warranty claim! Unfortunately, I think you're going to need a lot of it to get anything out of Infiniti.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:18 AM
GTT
G35 Twin Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jerjerboy
wow it must took you a while to type that format with all the words start with a capital letter..
loooooooooooooooooooool Nice Catch

After i installed my Utec, my car burned the oil until i got the red light on the dash board. But after my last oil change it's been 3300 miles and it's perfect i thought it's from the tuning or something .

Old 11-13-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by runningonmt
Wilksoner,

In looking at your signature, I see the following engine mods: Fujita intake, Invidia g200 exhaust, Motordyne copper thermal spacer, and mrev2. You said you don't think you've ever redlined it but admit to having "gotten on it." With mods like that I suspect you've "gotten on it" more than a few times. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but if I were the service manager at the dealership you go to, you'd have a tough time convincing me that your oil consumption problem was not the result of "abuse."

In any event, good luck pursuing your warranty claim! Unfortunately, I think you're going to need a lot of it to get anything out of Infiniti.
Hate to disagree with you there but I think I will. His mods wouldn't void his warranty (Magnuson-Moss Act) and his mods as listed would not cause him to burn 4 quarts of oil in 3000 miles. That's simply ridiculous. I have the exact same car with similar mods and my engine is burning just as much oil. I currently have 5000 miles on my G and already had the oil consumption test completed. The dealer is calling Infiniti headquarters today. I had an 05 6MT coupe that was more modded than my 06 and never had oil consumption problems. Never. This is a problem with the VQ not with mods.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^+1. Take a look at my signature/list of mods. My dealer did not even think about questioning me about my mods. In fact, they complimented me on them. And guess what, my new engine arrived today. I burned 2 quarts in 1400 miles. No questions asked, the dealer is replacing my engine under warranty.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:32 PM
^^^Exactly. That's a dealership that knows what's up. It's the dealerships that are not informed that usually try to use mods as an excuse. But if you know your stuff and do research, there is no way they can deny you for something like this that is a design flaw or bad parts. Hard driving or mods should not burn 4+ quarts of oil in 3000 miles on a brand new car with a brand new engine.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:51 PM
my dealer will install a supercharger and it doesnt void ur warranty as long as u go through them to get the work done im sure theyre hardly worried about my mods. infiniti warranty policy is anything that makes ur engine work harder will void your warranty im doin it a favoron helping it breath better and as for who eve said it was cause my mods my mrev and spacer was on it for about 200 miles before the problem was noticed

Old 11-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Hexxum001
I have an 06 with the same problem. I just completed my oil consumption test and my engine burned a quart and a half in 1100 miles. The dealer is calling Infiniti headquarters in the morning.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110973
Thanks for the info bro..Im doing the same thing..

Old 11-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Hate to disagree with you there but I think I will. His mods wouldn't void his warranty (Magnuson-Moss Act) and his mods as listed would not cause him to burn 4 quarts of oil in 3000 miles. That's simply ridiculous. I have the exact same car with similar mods and my engine is burning just as much oil. I currently have 5000 miles on my G and already had the oil consumption test completed. The dealer is calling Infiniti headquarters today. I had an 05 6MT coupe that was more modded than my 06 and never had oil consumption problems. Never. This is a problem with the VQ not with mods.
The following is an excerpt from the 2006 Infiniti G35 warranty:
WHAT IS NOT COVERED
DAMAGE, FAILURES OR CORROSION DUE TO ACCIDENTS, MISUSE OR ALTERATIONS
This warranty does not cover damage, failures or corrosion resulting from:
• Accident, theft, fire, driving through water (including engine
water ingestion) or misuse. (Proper use is outlined in your OWNER’S MANUAL.)
Alteration, tampering or improper repair.
• Glass breakage, unless resulting from defects in material or workmanship.
Installation of non-Nissan approved accessories or components.
• Improper installation of any Nissan approved or aftermarket accessory or component.
The dealership wants to keep you as a repeat customer, so it's in their best interest to extend warranty coverage that doesn't cost them a dime to provide. However, it isn't the dealership that provides the warranty; it's Nissan, and Nissan will be the one footing the bill for whatever parts and labor are required for the dealership to repair the vehicle. Nissan isn't as likely to care about denying a claim to and risking the loss of one individual customer, particularly if they believe they're justified in their refusal.

Magnuson-Moss is not a panacea. It doesn't prevent the warrantor from denying all warranty claims, just those whose denial is contrary to the provisions of the Act itself and/or in violation of applicable state and local law. Maybe, because it is an "upscale" brand, Infiniti is less likely to attempt to deny warranty coverage than other manufacturers with which I have personal experience. That doesn't mean they can't or won't. Nevertheless, it does seem like there's a disproportionate number of 2006 G owners reporting excessive oil consumption, so I agree that it appears to be the result of an apparent manufacturing defect, albeit one that may have been exacerbated at least in some cases by hammering on the motor.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by G352NV
Here ya go. This is a pic of my pink slip for my 350z. Just so happens I dropped a different motor in it myself. The only ones that will ever know is you guys
Whoaaaa, 177732 miles??? damn man that is insane and the car is only 2-3 years old.. how much do you drive dude lol, is that why you put a new engine? must have been one of the reasons at least, engine probably gettin tired by that much milage already

Old 11-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Never enough
HAHHAAHA You cought that? Too bad DMV didnt. Some how they added a extra number on the end.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:48 PM
LOL I see yeah it seemed unnatural to me that a car would have that much milage unless you commute from Sacramento to Miami every week lol

Old 11-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by runningonmt
Magnuson-Moss is not a panacea. It doesn't prevent the warrantor from denying all warranty claims, just those whose denial is contrary to the provisions of the Act itself and/or in violation of applicable state and local law. Maybe, because it is an "upscale" brand, Infiniti is less likely to attempt to deny warranty coverage than other manufacturers with which I have personal experience. That doesn't mean they can't or won't. Nevertheless, it does seem like there's a disproportionate number of 2006 G owners reporting excessive oil consumption, so I agree that it appears to be the result of an apparent manufacturing defect, albeit one that may have been exacerbated at least in some cases by hammering on the motor.
They can't deny warranty unless they PROVE the aftermarket part or mod caused the failure. Only AFTER PROVING can they then deny warranty.
In a nutshell, that's what the Moss/Mag act is all about.

There are ppl here who have driven there G fresh off the lot like they stole it with no oil consumption issues, and there's ppl who follow the break-in procedures and only do moderate spirited driving occasionally and have this oil issue. So, how you have or do treat your VQ has nothing to do with this excessive oil consumption, imho.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
They can't deny warranty unless they PROVE the aftermarket part or mod caused the failure. Only AFTER PROVING can they then deny warranty.
In a nutshell, that's what the Moss/Mag act is all about.
I don't disagree with you. They would have to prove that the aftermarket part or mod caused the failure. However, if Nissan decided to play hardball, the only recourse would be to take them to court, something most people would be reluctant to do because of the uncertainty of the outcome and the possibility of having to cover not only the cost of the repair but the legal expenses of both parties to the suit should things not turn out in the plaintiff's favor. As I said previously, I don't think this is a likely scenario since preserving the cachet of the brand (by avoiding the potential for what could become widespread, sales-killing bad publicity) is probably a lot more important to Nissan than fighting an individual claim whose cost is, in the great scheme of things, a very small drop in a very large bucket.

With the increasing number of reports about oil consumption problems with 2006 6MTs, I'm glad mine is a 2005. With 27k miles under its belt, my G's thirst for the Mobil 1 in its crankcase is well within acceptable limits.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 06 G35 Burning 4 Quarts Of Oil