G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Mrev 2 ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Mrev 2 ??

Sorry if this is a repost, I'm too lazy to do a through search before pulling this trigger, so my apology if so...

Found this tonight:

The MREV2 is a new product from Motordyne Engineering. It's a new design that works on both the REV-Up and Standard VQ35 engines.

The average power gains on a 260 or 280hp motor (non-rev-up) are better than the 5/16" spacer. This modification increases power across a very wide rpm range. The MREV2 should be used without a spacer on the standard engine, unless fuel/ECU modifications have been performed as it may cause the engine to run lean.

The power gains on a 298hp REV-Up motor are similar to the earlier MREV kits, when used with a 5/16" spacer kit. The 5/16" Spacer is recommended for the REV-Up engines as it will help safely increase power, when used with the MREV2 collector. This setup averages 15+hp and 18+ft.lbs in the upper midrange (approx 4500-5000rpms). Many independent tests have shown even higher gains as well!
This is from http://infinitipa.zoovy.com/product/MREV2

Price: $446.00

I was going to get a spacer...and was debating on 5/16 or 1/2 and now this pops up on the radar.

I've heard great things about the original MREV for the REVUP motors, but now it seems that the normal VQ guys like me can grab this.

Question(s):
1.) Is this better than the other spacer options for NON-REVUP like mine?
2.) Can you ADD this with a Spacer?
3.) What will give me the most TQ? **I would rather have LOW END TQ than adding any high end HP addition...

Thanks,
-WoW

Old 11-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

WoW,

Lemme try and give you a background on the MREV:

The MREV is a lower collector. The non-revup engines have the MREV lower collector. The revup engines have a different lower collector with different runners to get more peak HP. That's why the revup engine is rated at 298HP because it's got more high end HP. Now, if you give the revup engine a MREV, it's essentially giving them a lower collector from a nonrevup engine (sorry if that sounds confusing).

Now, Tony from Motordyne has modified the MREV with two new versions. There's a MREV+ and a MREV2. The MREV+ is the MREV with metal shaved off at runners 1 and 2 (someone can correct me if i'm wrong). The MREV2 is basically taking a MREV+ and shaving even more metal off around runners 1 and 2 to give even better breathing capabilities to the engine.

The next question is, if we give a revup engine a nonrevup lower collector (MREV), what's the difference between the 2 cars then? Well, the revup engine has variable exhaust cam timings (i think i got the order right, LOL). that's why the revup engines have a 1000 rpm higher redline than the nonrevup engines.

So, this is one reason why the revup engine can handle a MREV2 AND a 5/16" spacer. If the non-revup engines (2003 and 2004 G35s) placed a MREV2 and a 5/16" spacer in our cars, we would run super lean which means our AFR (air-to-fuel ratio) would be WAY too high. So that statement you found:

The MREV2 should be used without a spacer on the standard engine, unless fuel/ECU modifications have been performed as it may cause the engine to run lean.
it means that if you use a MREV2 and a 5/16" spacer on a revup engine, you would indefinitely need a tune to get your AFR back to efficient operating points. I personally think the reason why we need a tune is because our factory map on our ECU cannot learn the mods. The nonrevup engines cannot correct the correct AFR because it's not in the map (maybe i'm wrong? someone can correct my theory).

So therefore WoW, if you want the simplest answer, get the 5/16" spacer, and that's it. I say this because:

1.) The spacer is MUCH cheaper than the MREV2
2.) You won't have to tune your car with just a spacer (you might if you already come lean from the factory, like me )

Or you could just purchase the MREV2 by itself. It'll do the same job but u'll fork out twice as much money.

Or you could get BOTH, buy an EMS (engine management system) and have a professional tune your car for you. That's what I think i'm gonna do.

Soooooo.....i hope i answered your questions WoW. I know I didn't answer them directly but I hope this has given you a better insight to the MREV2 and spacer mods =) Peeeeeace.

Oh, and keep up the good work on the cluster, w00t!!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 08:51 PM
You know, maybe this crap is old news and I'm just out of it?

I've known about the MREV for REVUP's but the sentence about it being for BOTH engines "now"...is what has me confused...

Sorry guys if this was a waste of time...

Old 11-18-2006, 08:56 PM
^ Hey man, just saw you posted before I posted....long story..just didn't see your post, so the post above by me is not a response to you, but an addition (thoughts of mine) to this thread...lol

Anyways, thanks for the fantastic info. It can get confusing. That's why I e-mailed Motordyne and asked them ALL my questions. I'll post the answers as soon as I get them!!

-WoW

P.s. Thanks for the boost about the 06 gauge. I've got a worry on my mind about it though, that I'm going to post on the thread, so go check it out man and give me your .02...

Old 11-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Hi WoW,

Yes, it is true. The spacer and MREV2 give slightly different power curve responses.

The MREV2 makes a little more TQ and the spacer makes a little more HP.

Although its not directly plotted out in a comparison, the difference between the two is like the difference between the 5/16" spacer and the 1/2" spacer.
The difference is there but its not a huge difference. Both predominantly make good HP up top, but each with a slightly different spectral tilt.