G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Paint problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint problems?

I recently purchased my G35C like 2 weeks ago (just under 1000 miles) and noticed that the factory paint on the G35C is very thin? I was washing my car one day and i noticed that my rear bumper has a piece of paint missing...Not just like a chip its like to the plastic on the bumper (not primer)...Does anyone else find this to be a problem? Also by the door sill I guess that my heel hits that area and there is paint missing there too...I mean at least if your gonna pay the high dollar price the paint should be a little more durable than that!!! This doesnt speak much for Infiniti quality...I'll be taking my car in for service and see if they will cure the problem or not...I will keep you all posted and I would love to hear your comments or problems on this issue as well...So post up!!!!...Alohas!

Bo Toichi
04 G35C Diamond Graphite

Old 11-05-2003, 09:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Paint problems?

After 1300 Miles on my Ivory Pearl Coupe, I brought my car in to show the Service manager how a piece of paint on my front bumper about 1/16 of inch was peeled off and looked horrible after trying to touch it up. I have two chips on my bumper so far and this one can be seen from 20 feet away. He called Infiniti while I was there and told me they are not achknowledging that there is a problem. He did admit to me that He feels IT IS AN ISSUE and is sorry that Infiniti will not step up to the plate. He gets many complaints from both sedan and coupe owners on the poor paint especially chips. He gave me a file number and told me to keep calling Infiniti until I get some results. THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE PAINT! Anyway, I am taking my car in to have the front bumper repainted and when Infiniti admits to the fact that the paint is total crap, maybe I can retrieve my $200 for the repainted bumper.

04 G35C/IvoryPearl/5AT/Premium

Old 11-06-2003, 02:52 PM

There are tons of threads on the paint issue both here and at freshalloy forums. Lots of people insist that getting a clear bra is the solution but even then you still get some damage as debris hits the vehicle.

In my area clear bra is upwards of $600 so my take on this issue is to save the money and put it towards a re-paint job when the time comes. If Infiniti owns up to the problem before then great. If not, I've heard that the paint applied by body shops is far more durable than the factory paint.

Hell, when the time comes to repaint I may even go with a different color

2003.5 G35S/DesertPlatinum/Premium/SportTuned/Willow

Old 11-06-2003, 06:12 PM

The problem with a clear bra being applied to the G's paint is that the paint is still "soft" and if the clear bra gets hit by any stones there will still be a mark or dent left on the bra that will be noticeable. Therefore.... nothing is accomplished unless the bumper is stripped and repainted.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr E, I have one too on the back corner edge of my trunk lid there is what appears to be a small "drip" of paint on the the edge. It's only noticeable when you look close if your **** like me. I have to say though one of the biggest disappointments about my G besides several repairs (First year model), has been the egg shell paint. The stuff is so brittle and thin it drives me crazy. After having it for only 2 months I found over 12 separate chips on the front bumper and hood. Being my daily freeway car has made it worse. But come on my civic had better paint than this! Oh and the chips look so bad on Laser Red, errrrr. [img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img]

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 11-06-2003, 10:57 PM

The only problem I see with the paint chip repair thing is that you have just given yourself a "full time job" touching up the chips that will be forever showing up as long as you own your car. I've heard on the forum of some people who have so many chips on their bumper they can't count them. I guess it's a good tool if you are lucky enough to only have a few chips.

Old 11-07-2003, 02:02 AM

I'm beginning to get the impression that solid colors chip less. My DG chipped like crazy (until it was repainted), but it seems black and red cars may chip less. Anyone else think that's the case?

Old 11-07-2003, 06:56 PM

Well...I took the car to the dealership today and they took some pics of the car...They gonna see if Nissan will warranty it or not...I'll just have to see and hope for the best...but whats funny is i didnt wash my car before i went to the dealrship but i went home after and started to wash my car and noticed a big scrape mark on the bottom corner of the front bumper...damn it!!!...As if the problem doesnt get worse...oh well I dont remember hitting anything but I also cant prove that it happened there either so i guess i will have to eat it!!!...Keep ya'll posted!!!....ALOHAS

Bo Toichi
04 G35C Diamond Graphite

Old 11-07-2003, 08:50 PM

It's my impression that red and black cars are among the worse for getting paint chips. Lots of posts regarding this topic and these colors on Fresh Alloy. My black coupe has hundreds (maybe a thousand or more) of chips. All sizes but mostly very small. Looks like dust or dirt until you study it closely. I'm used to it now and have accepted the fact that my car is not perfect. When it bothers me enough I will get the front end repainted with good quality paint and solve this problem.

I still think it is a factory problem which should be addressed by Nissan/Infiniti. They're going to get a reputation for bad paint. Everytime someone asks me about my car I say that it is great and that I love it except for the paint!