G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What is rear active steer???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by gladiac2k1
Hmm I would believe that you could eat a bit more traction with the RAS because it adjusts the camber of the rear tires a few degrees.
Just to clear the air and no offense, but the camber is not adjusted by RAS. Sort-of-speak, it's the Toe that is adjusted. Toe turns the wheels inward or outward horizontally.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...h/diag_toe.gif

The camber angle identifies how far the tire slants away from vertical when viewed directly from the front or back of the vehicle. Camber is expressed in degrees, and is said to be negative when the top of the tire tilts inward toward the center of the vehicle and positive when the top leans away from the center of the vehicle.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...iag_camber.gif

Stillen's dual and Fast Intentions dual I believe work also. Search for pix of these systems installed under the G and see if the dual pipes angle away from the servo rather than angle inward like Injen's and HKS's. If they do, you're prpbably good to go with those too along with Borla's.
Thanks gladiac2k1 for confirming Borla's dual system will work with RAS.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 11-25-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aaaahhh ya know what? I now remember reading a while back that the Super Hicas steering (now RAS) was the only 4WS system that actually made a difference in handling... I stand corrected.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:25 AM
Actually the way the RAS works in the G35 it effects the toe, castor AND camber. It's basically pushing out on the lower control links, or pulling in on the lower control links. Now that's a 4 link system, if you push out or pull in on the bottom link alone then it'll have no choice but to effect every possible rear end geometry that is connected to the 4 link system. You can't change one links final length without it effecting what's going on with the other links.

Imagine your hands being held straight in front of you, thumbs pointing up. Then slide the bottom of your hand away from the middle point without sliding the front or top. (Imagine them attached at the thumb, forefinger and ring finger.) You'll end up with toe, and camber effected the most, with slight castor as well.

In any event, this system works like nothing ever did in the past. It's GREAT compared to simple toe-in type systems. The angles are slight, VERY slight, but that's all it takes. Mazda had a torque driven type system some years back on the RX8's where if you gunned it in a corner, then the torque passing through the bushing on the lower control arm made slight camber and toe-in changes. This system had no moving parts as far as actuators, only a pre-designed, pre-flexible bushing that would react to a given amount of power/torque. It worked better than anything had up until that time, no matter what the design.

Infiniti's new RAS however is in a league of it's own. With the factory sport package and the 19's it's hard to justify any wheel change. Perhaps a small spring change, but be careful with progressive rate springs when linear rates are what the system is designed around. More often than not... it's the driver, driver, driver. Give one maga bucks in different springs without RAS and another slightly different sway bars and stock springs and you'd be surprised which package will excel in day-to-day driving.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:00 AM
Hey 06CoupeDaddy you could practically be the spokesperson for Infiniti! haha
06CPV35, I know the Stillen, Injen, and HKS do not fit right with the RAS on the coupes. I was really deciding between the Stillen or Injen at first but then later found out that the piping does rub up against the servo arm, so with some minor bending you could get around it. The only thing is, when you bend the piping you inevitably move the right side muffler and such back with it. So you then need to weld an extension piece on so it goes back to how its supposed to look. A bit too much work than I wanted although there are those on this forum who have done it. And my bad about the "camber adjustment with RAS" =)

Old 11-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^^^ No problem....haha...according to 06CoupeDaddy, we were both right as far as camber and toe goes.
It is quite a geometry advanced system. Next time she's up on a rack, I'll have to study the engineering of the system to better understand it, though 06CoupeDaddy's explanation was very good...thanks for that.

I'm living with the Injen and RAS issue. Haven't done my rework on that piping yet. Presently have the section that hits the servo wrapped with fiberglass racing heat tape and encapsulated that with black vinyl tape for waterproofing and vibration issues. Seems to work well. I can grab that section after a long run with my hand and it is only slightly warm, being my main concern was heat and cooking the RAS servo.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 11-27-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:05 PM
"The handling and stability of the 2006 G35 coupe is further optimized by an available, new Infiniti Rear Active Steer system. Unlike passive rear steering systems, this design features motor-driven control. This system helps improve the vehicle’s handling performance by adjusting the rear suspension geometry according to steering input and vehicle speed.

The system’s electronic control unit calculates the desired vehicle dynamics from a series of sensors, including vehicle speed and steering angle, and directs the system actuator to change rear geometry by moving both rear suspension lower links. The result is sports car-like agility, combined with luxury stability and ride quality. The Rear Active Steer system was first introduced on the 2006 Infiniti M45 and M35 Sport models. It is available on the 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT models with Premium Package and G35 coupe models with Sport and Premium Packages.

In addition, the Rear Active Steer Package adds an enhanced vehicle-speed-sensitive power steering system with a 15.1:1 steering gear ratio."

The standard steering gear ratio is 15.9:1

Old 11-27-2006, 03:50 PM
During cornering, when the RAS came on, it feels like a different car. To me, it feels like driving a lighter but stable car with accuracy while in a sweeping corner around 50mph. While driving straight, it feels like a heavy car again. I was pleasantly suprised

Old 11-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys for the kudos...

Tell ya' what, if I *had* to work for a car manufacturer Infiniti wouldn't be at the bottom of the list, that's for sure.

OTOH, I've been around cars for a long time, actually my dad had me driving his work van, (Econoline 3-speed on the column) when I was 9. That was over 40 years ago. Started a towing service in my 20's that I did for almost 19 years. So yes... I've had my share of cars. Very few would I say that I'd NEVER own these days, except perhaps a Ford! And yes, I've owned a lot of them, and even had several Ford tow-trucks, (rollbacks actually). You know how everyone has a horror story about one brand or another.... well Ford is mine. Left me holding the bag on a $70,000 work truck that wouldn't stay out of the shop from 8 weeks old till it was 2 years old. Finally walked away from it, lost $25,000 plus at least another $100K in revenue and said then and there I'd never own another one. Now however, the new Mustang body does bring back fond memories, fond indeed. (Although I had a childhood friend that crashed his sisters original orange BOSS 302 and was in a coma for 6 months, not so fond with that one.)

I tend to agree with comments about the RAS on the G's. At slower speeds it feels like it should, nice and tight. Running 85+ on country backroads and twisties it's incredible! (With traction control on of course) With it off, even with the RAS it's scary how fast one can get these things to go, and even worse how quickly you can lose the rear end. Can't say I've had a problem with mine ever pushing, (unless I'm in 6th when I need to be in 4th hustling through the corners). My brother is a HUGE Mustang fan, has had several in the 80's and 90's, including the 03 Supercharged *****'. His 96 (or maybe it's a 98) Cobra is a bad BAD ride, but can't even come close in a "real world" real road, heads-up ride. He'll spend his time chasing the rear end while all he see's is the rear end of my lil' V-6. Now don't wanna' take him on I-75 with the horsepower he's putting down, but then again, he's got enough money in that silly car to buy a G35 AND a stock 06 Mustang.

All that being said... it'd be neat to have a switch on the dash like the traction control switch to be able to turn the RAS on and off. I betcha' there would be a LOT more wrecked new G's out there with the switch in the 'off' position than with it 'on'.

Old 02-13-2021, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 07 G35 with RAS. Yes, a $750 option. It corners extremely flat. I cannot detect any leaning. I can take a 90 degree freeway offramp here at 60 mph. Just leaves anybody behind me in the dust. VDC is always on. Car is for sale. stanathomesell@***.net