G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Rear Active Steer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 06:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear Active Steer

Ok this may be a dumb question but i just wantr to get it straight. What does the rear active steer do? Does the back wheels turn or what ive searched the forums and cant find anything. And is it worth getting?

Old 02-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
Little tiny elves hiding beneath the rear of the vehicle are waiting for the precise moment to actuate motors that adjust the toe angle of the rear wheels to work in parallel or in opposite steering direction of the front wheels to increase steering stability at high-speed (parallel) or in tight turns (opposite).

Old 02-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Infiniti site should have a reasonable explanation, but in a nutshell:

Yes, the rear wheels will turn in slightly, in an effort to improve cornering ability. Not sure if they also move to make slow-speed parking easier, but their movement at speed will be limited.

I'm sure this system has been refined over the years, however, the aftermarket didn't take long to offer a Rear-Steer Eliminator kit for the older 300ZX TT. The complaint on that car was that the RAS system was noticeable in it's operation and some owners didn't like the unsettling feeling it produced in hard-driving conditions. After spirited driving with the VDC on, I can relate to the feeling. Average owners may have enjoyed the system for all I know.

For the G, I know some have expressed that they feel the RAS system is just added weight and added potential for something to break (the RAS system itself). I'd love to see road-course lap-times for the RAS-equiped 6MT and the non-RAS 6MT to see the difference the system makes.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2006 6MT Coupe with rear active steer. The jury is still out if I like it or not, I do not hate it, but I feel it takes away from the feel of the car. Rear active steer does make the car corner better/faster, however it gives the rear of the car an almost floating feeling. Lets see if I can describe the feeling; when I enter into a hard turn I expect to feel a lot more G’s than I do. It almost gives me a false since of security that the car can hold the road better.

I drive through a couple twisting turns before I get to my sub-division and the posted speed limits on the turns are 25 and 20 mph respectively. I easily double the speeds and approach tripling them. The car makes me feel that it could be pushed even further but again that floating feeling stops me from taking it any faster. I have to say that the handling is on par with my old M3 (although there is more driver interaction with the M) and I never would have thought I would say that.

So is it worth it? Test drive both cars and make sure you take the cars through some turns at a decent rate of speed and decide if you like it.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Mod Junky!
I almost got it..I am happy now i didn't

Old 02-06-2006, 05:30 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
From my owner's manual (M).......

Attached Thumbnails Rear Active Steer-mini-ras.bmp.jpg  
Old 02-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So is rear active steering a must have option?

Anyone else care to share their experiences?

Old 02-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Difficult to ascertain how much it actual 'helps'. I share similar sentiment to savyens above...not a 'loose' sensation, but 'floaty' is close.

That being said, I love the handling characteristics of the car. I may stiffen the car up down the road, but I do not have any problems attributable to the RAS.

I do know that it complicates/limits lowering the car & it's one more thing that could break.

Best option is to spend some time behind the wheel of both...RAS & Non-RAS.

If I had to do it over again, I'd go without. My car was the only one at my dealer that had the rest of my wish list and I wasn't willing to wait.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:42 PM
For you guys that say that the RAS gives a "floaty" feeling, have you tried turning the VDC off (which also turns the RAS off I believe) and verifying that it is no longer floaty?

That "floaty" feeling you describe is responsiveness, in my opinion. The response with the RAS is ridiculous. The car rotates instantly to steering input, and it is incredibly stable when correcting at the exit of the turn. RAS was a big reason for me to wait for the '06, and it is must-have in my opinion.