G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I hate Chicago snow!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate Chicago snow!!!

Well I just had my first run with my G against another car and boy did I screw up. I was driving down Route 83 south for anyone in that area. I see this black Eclipse (newer model) getting away pretty quickly so I decided to try to catch up. After about 5 min. We end up next to each other at a red light.

I wasn't exactly sure if he wanted to go at first because he was about 35-40 and didn't really acknowledge me (he also rolled back so he must've had a 6 speed, I'm a 5AT). I said what the hell and got ready just in case. I launch, but to my dismay there was a bit of ice/snow left over where my car was standing and despite brand new Blizzak LM-22s my traction control turned on (didn't turn it off earlier, just in case I slipped out god forbid) Anyway he had a perfectly open and dry lane and by the time I realized he was also going at it, it was too late. I try to recoup despite a terrible shift in tiptronic mode and do my best to keep up. We both let off at about 90-100 and by then he had me by 1 1/2 lengths.

I felt so stupid that I messed it up but at least the other guy was nice. We got to the exit for I-55 and he waved politely and went on his way. After reading a bunch of stories about how the Eclipses aren't that fast I figure I'd go for it and I would've had him if it wasn't for that snow!!

Old 12-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ouch. i live in chicago too. this snow is killing me! how are those blizzaks going for ya? i have dunlops on.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:02 AM
it happens, i lost to a mustang once and boy did it kill me

Old 12-06-2006, 12:02 AM
be careful on 83, Ive got 2 tickets for speeding there

Old 12-06-2006, 01:13 AM
A friend that works at a shop was able to get me tires for a bit cheaper than normal so I ended going with the Blizzaks because he didn't have the Dunlops in at the time. They get the job done most of the time but I guess I just expected a bit better performance. The Dunlops seem like they would have been a better choice.

As for the cops, they truly are a pain in the *** on that road but for the stretch I was on there isn't much place for them to hide and of the times I've seen them I picked them up earlier with my radar. Despite all that though I was still looking around nervously most of the time.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:28 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
be careful in the snow

Old 12-06-2006, 01:50 AM
FWD vs RWD does the job (of course for snow/wet pavement),
weather here sucks atm, just be careful no need for another messed up G its tempting but at least wait till spring
after that snowfall i covered my babe gave her the kiss and shes asleep till march

Old 12-06-2006, 01:58 AM
yeah...chicago weather sucks...it has made me bring out the winter beater...and for the eclipse on 83....had you have had a good lane, there wouldnt have been a problem...
oh and for the guys in the chi area, check out chicagoz.com or jgtca.com

Old 12-06-2006, 02:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
at least some of you guys have beater cars for the winter, i dont have one sadly. my honda went out and i dont have any time to even fix the brakes and suspension on it because of school and work. so far my g has handled pretty good in this weather. dunlops were the best choice i ever made so far for tires.

hows everyone else holdin up in this weather? its so cold! im resurfacing my 19s; prepping up for late spring and holding out to put on blue bat's overlays til then. hows everyone else doing in the winter in chicago?

Old 12-06-2006, 04:15 AM
Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz112
im resurfacing my 19s; prepping up for late spring and holding out to put on blue bat's overlays til then. hows everyone else doing in the winter in chicago?
where are you getting your rims resurfaced? i have some 19' volks that are in dire need of some good resurfacing work...i cant seem to get a recommendation for a good place in the chicago area...
thanks...

Old 12-06-2006, 09:37 AM
man racing on your snow tires is just stupid anyway...Not to mention the possibility of black ice...You are lucky you did not crash it

I am glad the leather has heated seats....I am looking for a beater....

Old 12-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
wow, imagine what would have happened if you turned off the VDC? I doubt you would have been facing the same direction...

Old 12-06-2006, 10:10 AM
snow? whats that.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by schoenzy
yeah...chicago weather sucks...it has made me bring out the winter beater...and for the eclipse on 83....had you have had a good lane, there wouldnt have been a problem...
oh and for the guys in the chi area, check out chicagoz.com or jgtca.com
The g35 isn't a beater? Is that b/c it's not wise to have rwd in the winter?

Old 12-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by bassholic
The g35 isn't a beater? Is that b/c it's not wise to have rwd in the winter?
haha yeah well i mean the rwd aspect does kinda suck in the snow...esp in chicago where we got like 10-12inches over night...but the trac control is ok...most of it is because i'm 20 and i have wanted a g forever, and now that i have finally bought myself one, i dont want salt damage, or even worse, to put it into a ditch...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I hate Chicago snow!!!