G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

just got back spoiler painted... it's darker than my car!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya i'd send it back and get it repainted. def. looks alittle darker.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks slightly darker, i would take it back with the car like everyone else mentioned. also it might just be me, but the real close up pics of the wing, the metallic flakes i guess you would call them look more dense, than that of the car, like it was sprayed close rather than farther away, but that could jus be me

Old 12-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think what shops do is fade it in, which means paint the parts around too. Metallic colors like that are very hard to match. I have an IP, and my bumpers are slightly off, they are more yellowy than the rest of the car. I think it's kind of common, but since you just painted it you might wanna go back and try to get them to fix it somehow. And like somebody said, even same colors come slightly different from factory. I used to have a silver maxima just like my friend just a year newer, and when parked next to each other the two cars had different shades. It was so obviously noticeable I thought he had repainted the whole car. Couldn't believe it.

Last edited by TheKnite; 12-08-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:58 PM
doesnt look bad at all, i think its just the angles your looking at it and the lighting...oh and the spoiler looks schweet!

Old 12-08-2006, 08:26 PM
leave it alone!

Old 12-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Dude, it looks fine. Dont sweat it.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
thanks for the comments guys

before i came in a few minutes ago i ran my finger across the trunk area, and my finger was covered with dust-like stuff! so i look at my car, and see all these white powdery stuff coated on my car... i guess it's from the snow? but maybe that might be affecting the shade of the paint on my car. i'll try and wipe down the trunk area tomorrow and take more pictures.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tomiegunzz
Dude, it looks fine. Dont sweat it.
thanks man. but what about the last pics on my first post? do you think it's just the angles/lighting/dirty car? because it looks OK if i look at it fron the front, on top of the trunk.

the last pics on the first post makes the spoiler look way off from the back.. and that's where most people will see the spoiler (that's the idea at least ). anyway i guess i have to wait until tomorrow to decide if i want to repaint it...

Old 12-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cnaman
u can barely tell, just leave it alone... let it sit in the sun for a while, it should ligthen up a bit... fresh paint is darker...

++1 its not that noticeable man... fu<k it

Old 12-09-2006, 12:37 AM
From your first post.. pics 8/9 are the ones that show any difference. Good luck with the whole ordeal

Old 12-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Never enough
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
ask for a repaint. for just about every single paint code out for every single car, there are in technical terms "variances". the same paint code may have up to five or six different shades or variances available for the color. reason being, infiniti probably ran a batch of 1000 cars in diamond graphite with one batch of paint. on a later batch of dg, the composition of the paint may have changed slightly, giving it a slightly different shade.

the best thing to do is pull the gas flap off of your car and bring it to the body shop manager so you can check it against a paint chips in the paint manufacturers book. match it up to the variance that comes closest to your shade for your particular paint code.

rarely, there are no variances for a paint code. in that case, a reason for the difference in shade will have to do with the pressure at which the paint gun is set. metallics are very tricky to paint because of the intrinsic fact that they have metallic specks in the paint. different paint gun pressures will make them lay differently.

anyway, if it were me, i wouldn't be able to get over the fact that the paint doesn't match, and it would bother me until i did something about it.
Many things go into a color not matching. Ive mixed up to 8 variances and still not hit a color. You have things like flop that have nothing to do with pressure. Some infiniti color have NO variances. The first to come to mind in Chrome Silver. It only shows one formula and it doesnt even come close to matching. This is why a insurance company will allow for a blend into the next panel.
Spoiler doesnt looks that bad. I can see at some angles it looks darker. This is called flop. There are toners you can add to offset it a bit, along with flop adjuster. But odds are your painter isnt going to spend a hour or so shooting test panels for your spoiler.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:18 AM
yeah it looked darker. why did you have it painted at a bmw dealership in the first place

Old 12-09-2006, 02:22 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
it looks good wait til you get it out in the sun then make your decision

Old 12-09-2006, 02:49 PM
1. look at what it looks like in the sun
2. wash your car and THEN decide.

i think it looks fine, when sun is reflecting off of it you wont even notice if there is a slight difference

Old 12-09-2006, 06:34 PM
hey guys,

got back from the shop. dropped it and put the spoiler on. in the sun it looked ok, but if you really look at it, it was a little darker. i wanted to hold off on installing it, but i got too excited and just installed it. now i'm like crap... wtf now... lol

i guess i'll wait and see if it looks better after i wash the car and the new paint fades a little. if it still looks off i'll just have it repainted, although it's now installed and will be a PITA to repaint... probably need to take the whole car or the trunk

anyway thx for the help guys!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: just got back spoiler painted... it's darker than my car!?