G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

just got back spoiler painted... it's darker than my car!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
just got back spoiler painted... it's darker than my car!?

hey guys, i just got my ds spoiler back from the bmw dealership, where it got painted. i just laid it on the car, and the paint from some angles seem way darker.

it's my first time painting something aftermarket, and don't know if the colormatch is off. should i ask for a repaint? the color in pics 5, 8 and 9 seem WAY off, but in pics 6, 7 it seems fine. is it because my car is dirty? because it's frozen? because spoiler has fresh paint? WTF??

please help!

PICS:
pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

pic 5

pic 6

pic 7

pic 8

pic 9

Old 12-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a couple of shots show the darker color....

I'd send it back and have them repaint it... course every time you do the quality gets worse.

gl

ppp

edit: you really need to bring the car when the wing is painted... so they can match the color better... if you dont then what you get is what you got

Old 12-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I would wait until its sunny outside so you can make better judgement. With it being clowdy outside the shadows can play games on you. In the last few pictures it does look really far off, but when its in the same light as the rest of the car it seems fine.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:22 PM
THE BATMOBILE
wait it out for a little

Old 12-08-2006, 04:22 PM
u can barely tell, just leave it alone... let it sit in the sun for a while, it should ligthen up a bit... fresh paint is darker...

Old 12-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
ask for a repaint. for just about every single paint code out for every single car, there are in technical terms "variances". the same paint code may have up to five or six different shades or variances available for the color. reason being, infiniti probably ran a batch of 1000 cars in diamond graphite with one batch of paint. on a later batch of dg, the composition of the paint may have changed slightly, giving it a slightly different shade.

the best thing to do is pull the gas flap off of your car and bring it to the body shop manager so you can check it against a paint chips in the paint manufacturers book. match it up to the variance that comes closest to your shade for your particular paint code.

rarely, there are no variances for a paint code. in that case, a reason for the difference in shade will have to do with the pressure at which the paint gun is set. metallics are very tricky to paint because of the intrinsic fact that they have metallic specks in the paint. different paint gun pressures will make them lay differently.

anyway, if it were me, i wouldn't be able to get over the fact that the paint doesn't match, and it would bother me until i did something about it.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to a body shop that uses spies hecker paint, if they use ppg paint, the match may not be as good, as from spies hecker. i run a body shop if you want send it to me ill paint it for you.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:06 PM
this goes for everyone, there nothing like factory paint

Old 12-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by cnaman
u can barely tell, just leave it alone... let it sit in the sun for a while, it should ligthen up a bit... fresh paint is darker...

thats a myth...

as for the color match, %99 of the time colors need to be tinted... If you drop your spolier off and tell them to paint it ___ paint code, they look it up in the computer, mix it and paint it. If you leave the car they can do a spray out onto a clear card and bring that out to your car and check the color and see if the flop matches ect ect... Its painted too dark, yet since they didnt have the car there is no way for them to know. Leave the car with them, if the computer mix is too dark they can always tint the color and lighten it up, its very rare to mix a color and spray it without having to tint it.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:59 PM
hey dudes

i just took some more pics and i think my toes are going to fall off... remind me not to go in slippers next time

i'm uploading a bunch of pics, so please be patient:

PICS

Old 12-08-2006, 06:02 PM
DEEP BREATH!!!

Whew. Ok, I'm so paranoid right now... I was planning on installing it tomorrow, but if it needs to be repainted...

so fresh paint does have a darker color? should i wait a while before taking it back?

Old 12-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Post a few more pictures please

Old 12-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by bigedx2002
thats a myth...

as for the color match, %99 of the time colors need to be tinted... If you drop your spolier off and tell them to paint it ___ paint code, they look it up in the computer, mix it and paint it. If you leave the car they can do a spray out onto a clear card and bring that out to your car and check the color and see if the flop matches ect ect... Its painted too dark, yet since they didnt have the car there is no way for them to know. Leave the car with them, if the computer mix is too dark they can always tint the color and lighten it up, its very rare to mix a color and spray it without having to tint it.

I see. But I'm just worried that it might just be the shadow that makes it look darker than the rest... Maybe I'll wait and see tomorrow in the sun. It's just some angles that makes the paint look way off... but it's really bothering me

Old 12-08-2006, 07:00 PM
It really does not look bad at all.
the different materials and the shadow may be playing onth eeye some.
If you truely think it is off, just take it back along with the car. They can match it better that way.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:09 PM
it's hard to say from the pictures. You have a better idea being up close and personal. I would say, if you are unhappy with it, have it redone until its to your liking.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: just got back spoiler painted... it's darker than my car!?