G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Limited Slip needed???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited Slip needed???

I'd like some opinions if I should add a limited slip or not. I can obviously think of other ways to spend $1000, so...

I will not be racing. I will be *enjoying* driving my g35 coupe hard though. But will a limited slip really give me better fowl weather traction? Opinions please.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Limited Slip needed???

I thought the coupe came with limited slip? Is that just new for 04 or only for the 6MT?

--Steve

Old 11-11-2003, 07:38 PM

Only vehicles with the Performance Wheel and Tire package (which is standard on the 6MT and available on the 5AT w/ leather) come with Limited Slip.

Old 11-11-2003, 07:45 PM

Only necessary when racing if you ask me. It basically makes sure power is transferred equally to both tires during hard accelleration...or when one tire loses power. I could be wrong though. If you don't have it and accelerate hard...you'll most likely end up facing some torque steer. A torque converter can help as well, sorta.

Old 11-11-2003, 08:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience LSD is NOT just for racing. One of my first cars was a 94 Sentra SER that did have an LSD. Was a great winter car, but I never directly attributed it to the LSD. Then I got a 97 Maxima. I parked on a hill in winter and when I tried to leave one of my wheels was on a patch of ice. I couldn't move at all because the wheel just kept spinning while the other just sat there and taunted me. I had to have somebody push me off the ice patch. Yeah, felt real good. Now if that that car had LSD like my old cheap SER...

Get the point? I was pretty irritated that my G didn't have it, but I figure it's a small point. Not sure if it's worth that much cash, maybe $500, but not $1K!

2003.5 Sedan Black/Black w/ sport, premium, aero, and winter packages. See my profile for updated mods list and pics.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:28 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

If you don't have it and accelerate hard...you'll most likely end up facing some torque steer. A torque converter can help as well, sorta.

<hr></blockquote>

i do think that you are way confused. i would never have a sporty car that didnt have some type of LSD. open diffs suck and are dangerous when cornering hard. but thats just my opinion......

Doc

You have been weighed.....You have been measured.....and you have been found WANTING!!!

Old 11-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LSDs are beneficial for all types of driving situations, especially in bad weather. I owned a '91 300ZX with LSD. It helped me in snow and icey conditions. LSDs keeps traction to BOTH wheels. There is no way I'd get up an icey hill with one rear wheel spinning/moving. Get the LSD and spend the $1000.

Old 11-12-2003, 05:48 PM

I think you should read my post again, I did say it was helpful if one tire loses traction. I am confused about needing it? I'm not confused, I'm just not like you who would never have a sporty car that does not have some type of LSD. *boggle*

Old 11-12-2003, 10:32 PM

no youre confused about torque steer (front wheel drive condition) and torque converter (which has nothing to do with maintaining traction to both wheels). now that i have re-read your post, i am positive that you are confused. *boggle*?

You have been weighed.....You have been measured.....and you have been found WANTING!!!

Old 11-13-2003, 05:11 PM

you are correct sir! you could have mentioned that in your first post saying you think i'm confused! i was wrong. i keep forgetting i'm now driving a rwd. all my previous cars have been fwd, guess i'm used to talking about it.

Old 11-13-2003, 06:27 PM

its cool. just messing with you. but i guess if you hit the gas too hard and the back end comes around..........that may qualify as "torque steer". or would that be "horsepower steer"?.........

Doc

Old 11-13-2003, 07:11 PM

Messing with me? You were absolutely right man. No need for saying you were messing w/me hehe. I can admit when I'm wrong. I'm far from being even semi-knowledgeable on most of these terms. I should do more reading.

Old 11-14-2003, 08:08 PM

LSDs work to maintain traction by sending power to the wheel with the most traction. An open diff sends power to the wheel with the least traction, as in the example with the Maxima on the ice patch. In a hard cornering maneuver, the inside drive wheel loses traction. It may even lift off of the road. With an LSD, the power is sent to the outside drive wheel, the one with the most traction. You can really power out of a curve, as you can jump back on the gas faster with the LSD. With an open diff, the inside wheel gets all the power, even though it may be up in the air! The improvement provided by the LSD works in the wet or in the dry, up front or in the back. If you are going to leave a burn-out mark on the road, the LSD results in two burnt patches, and the open diff results in one. Happy motoring.

'03 G35 5AT Sedan, Garnet Fire/Willow
18x8 SSR GT1/Bridgestone S03/Eibach

Old 11-14-2003, 11:41 PM

Not sure this question was answered but I wanted to kno.

Which versions of the G do come with LSD's?

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 11-14-2003, 11:51 PM

All coupes that come with the 18" stock wheels have the LSD.

G35 Coupe 6MT / Brilliant Silver / Graphite / Prem.Pkg. / BSM

Doug.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip needed???